grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

Just now, jedijake said:

Mulan is already coming. That's set in stone. TLM is in early production. With Aladdin going where it's heading, I'm sure there will be discussion about what to do with TLM and whether to release it on the big screen or on Disney +. I assume they will still push it to the big screen for better or worse but then can it at that. Everything else will go to Disney + where it can avoid so much scrutiny and box office questions.

TLK will probably do well, but there may be some burnout and fall out from Aladdin and others so it may not reach what some may think it will. And whatever it does, it's too late to call its success a revitalization of Disney live actions. Too many have failed already for it to suddenly turn around because of 1 movie.

There’s too much money to be lost for Disney to put TLM on Disney+. In the right spot it can be bigger than TLK. They’ll put the more relevant ones like TLM and LAS in theaters while Pinocchio and Chip and Dale will hit Disney+.

The problem is as you’ve said too many of them and the fact that nostalgia only carries you so far. Do you think anyone would want a BATB2 or a TLK2? The novelty is only good for most of these at one film, so they couldn’t really build their own franchise but add onto their previos franchise.

4 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Definitely this.

The name Aladdin will attract numbers higher than $80M.

Even with the reviews, I can’t see Aladdin at under $90M for the four day on the name alone.

7 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Mulan is already coming. That's set in stone. TLM is in early production. With Aladdin going where it's heading, I'm sure there will be discussion about what to do with TLM and whether to release it on the big screen or on Disney +. I assume they will still push it to the big screen for better or worse but then can it at that. Everything else will go to Disney + where it can avoid so much scrutiny and box office questions.

TLK will probably do well, but there may be some burnout and fall out from Aladdin and others so it may not reach what some may think it will. And whatever it does, it's too late to call its success a revitalization of Disney live actions. Too many have failed already for it to suddenly turn around because of 1 movie.

The Little Mermaid will definitely be a theatrical release since they're getting Rob Marshall or it plus it's the last of the Big 4 yet to be remade.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Ah, I remember the days when a summer movie was rotten but opened with 100+ million.

This could very well be one of them.

To be fair, it's happened once every summer since 2014 (with the exception of 2017).

Transformers: Age of Extinction ($100M), Minions ($115.7M), Suicide Squad ($133.7M), Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom ($148M)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PNF2187 said:

To be fair, it's happened once every summer since 2014 (with the exception of 2017).

Transformers: Age of Extinction ($100M), Minions ($115.7M), Suicide Squad ($133.7M), Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom ($148M)

But which of these films had the long-running hatred and horrible press that Aladdin has gotten for months?

1 hour ago, Nova said:

I wonder why Jungle Book got rave reviews but the last several live action remakes have been good to so so with Dumbo being a dud. 

Maybe because Jungle Book was a better movie then the other ones?

• Like 1

But which of these films had the long-running hatred and horrible press that Aladdin has gotten for months?

Wow, a movie had bad trailers, people think it's probably a bad movie. How shocking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Maybe because Jungle Book was a better movie then the other ones?

I should have been more clear. Why did Disney have no problem making Jungle Book so good and haven't gotten the same results with their other live action movies. 

• Like 2

I swear Aladdin isn’t the first film to have bad social media reactions, and it won’t be the last.

8 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Just like Pikachu did. :ph34r:

Presales though, then again look at Pika though I think Aladdin will be more GA friendly.

1 minute ago, Nova said:

I should have been more clear. Why did Disney have no problem making Jungle Book so good and haven't gotten the same results with their other live action movies. 

The Jungle Book and Cinderella actually added to the original and treated the original with dignity.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Because these films are not films, they’re products. Fast food-like entertainment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, I Am said:

Leave the classics alone.

Peabo Brysan and Angela Lansbury and others likely said as much when "Beauty and the Beast" was re"made" - there's no magic in these movies. While they were certainly excellent classics, were "The Jungle Book" and "Cinderella" as "magical" to children in their respective eras as "Beauty and the Beast," "Aladdin," "The Lion King," "Mulan," etc were to us?

I don't think so - which is why it's easier for the older ones to be improved upon, in comparison to the classics that inspired our childhoods. Taking the "Aladdin" soundtrack (and presumably the movie itself) and turning into "The Greatest Showman" is not magical. I hope this movie bombs, and (I'm so sorry, Jon Favreau) I hope "The Lion King" does too, so Disney reconsiders destroying "Mulan," "The Little Mermaid," and whatever else is in the pipeline.

I agree, but we are in a small minority here. You have people here who think the remakes are better then the originals simply because they have "cool" CGI effects and they are newer and newer is always better.

As for Disney animatation in general here, I am amazedhow little love the Golden Age Disney animated films get..."SNow White" "Pinnochio" "Fantasia". Probably because a lot of people here, sadly have never seen them.

ANd, yeah, I consider anybody not familiar with classic cinema to be illiterate as far as movies go.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

My god people are acting as if this is getting Fant4stic level reviews with the way the doom and gloom discussion is going. Yeesh people, yea there are some stinker reviews, but the positive ones aren't all just middle-of-the-road, there are some glowing reviews out there as well.

I have no doubt this will be a crowd-pleaser, regardless of a loud vocal minority on the internet, but we'll see I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1