grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

6 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Holy crap even Jeremy of all people is calling it  a mixed bag. Also listening to  his review I'm appalled at the choices Disney made with their unlimited amounts of money.

He calls a lot of things mixed bags.

7 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Holy crap even Jeremy of all people is calling it  a mixed bag. Also listening to  his review I'm appalled at the choices Disney made with their unlimited amounts of money.

All this tells me is that this is a masterpiece and Guy Ritchie is a visionary

40 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

TIL Rotten Tomatoes can consider a movie with a rotten score to be of "sufficient spectacle and skill"

It's literally toeing the line between red and green with almost 100 reviews accounted for so far so unless a massive rush of green reviews come in (which seems unlikely) I doubt they'll change it.

Not living up to the original and not being a home run shouldn't necessarily equate to a rotten score. That's what seems to be happening to not just remakes but most movies in general. "It's not great so we are going to destroy it". Movies didn't have these problems when people just went to the theater to do something with family or friends. I guess that's the trade off of insanely expensive movie outings.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Not living up to the original and not being a home run shouldn't necessarily equate to a rotten score. That's what seems to be happening to not just remakes but most movies in general. "It's not great so we are going to destroy it". Movies didn't have these problems when people just went to the theater to do something with family or friends. I guess that's the trade off of insanely expensive movie outings.

At the same time, Aladdin is a beloved animated classic so the notion that one has to lower expectations to enjoy the live action adaptation is disappointing.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

There is no excuse for one of most popular movies of the Disney Renaissance to have a live action adaptation be a 58%. Dumbo I can understand but Aladdin, come on Disney, this is just embarrassing. 

This movie has never been able to catch a break from negativity and now it shows in the final product as well. No more giving it the benefit of the doubt, another dud in Disney's live action library critically speaking.

I think the "negativity" started with Guy Ritchie as director. He just seemed the wrong choice for this kind of film. And that was from people who really liked Ritchie's work in Crime Thrillers.

And from all I have read, it's the performances of the leads that really save the film from being a total fiasco.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

At the same time, Aladdin is a beloved animated classic so the notion that one has to lower expectations to enjoy the live action adaptation is disappointing.

if you remake a beloved classic, you had better deliver the goods bigtime, or expect unfavorable comparasions. It's inevitable.

No way people are not going to make comparasions.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Dbui8743 said:

Again, do not put too much stake on early reactions lol.

I thought the early reactions pointed to a Beauty and the Beast style RT score. It's too early to say that it doesn't because it still has 100's of reviews to go but I don't know how anyone ever saw anything in the 80's and 90's happening after those dire trailers.

People can go to the theater and enjoy a movie. But going to enjoy a movie doesn’t mean the movie is great. I went to see Detective Pikachu and the movie clearly has its flaws that critics rightfully called out. But I enjoyed the hell out of it. 

Im sure lots of people will enjoy Aladdin just like lots of people enjoyed other movies with an average RT score. That doesn’t mean the movie is great or has to be great. But an enjoyable movie sometimes isn’t enough to just get a pass from critics. There are other factors that critics look at that general audiences most of the time ignore/don’t care about. I haven’t watched Aladdin obviously to see what works/what doesn’t work but it doesn’t seem like it’s a bad film. Doesn’t seem like it’s a great film either. Seems like a film that people can go to the theater and have a great time with. And in the end isn’t that what people go to the theaters for? 

Edited by Nova
  • Astonished 1

At the end of the day though these remakes are selling themselves as retellings of original very beloved animated films. They're banking on people watching them because they remind people of the original animated versions so I do think it's fair to judge them against the animated versions too since the remakes themselves is asking for it. 

• Like 4

ANybody remember that 2000 TV "Arabian Nights" Miniseries where they ,for just about the only time in film or tv History, filmed a very faithful to the original Arabian Nights version of the story..right down to Aladin being Chinese? (The Arabian Nights original version is set in China). It's worth watching.

1 hour ago, Jay Beezy said:

Expectations lower with each passing second since time is taking away fresh ideas..better to deal with it and enjoy each thing in its own right.. there are a couple of billion nuances to discuss meanwhile^^

TTVOMJ

Edited by Maximum Avery
Typos