grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

Another 2019 movie that’ll leave me saying “yeah. This was ok”. 

I cant wait.

And if you are remaking a beloved classic, "OK" is not anywhere near good enough".

Disney will get it's money back on this, and probably make a decent profit,but it ain't gonna do what they expected it would do when they green lighted it. Sort of like Mary Poppins Returns.

• Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, Jay Beezy said:

At the same time, Aladdin is a beloved animated classic so the notion that one has to lower expectations to enjoy the live action adaptation is disappointing.

It's not really about having to lower expectations. It's more about comparing two completely different film medium: cartoon vs live action. More can be done with cartoon that, if done with live action, would look really really awkward. But it seems as though this one is awkward enough.

People want original ideas. Disney has made several GREAT original films in the past few years. They include Frozen, Brave, Moana, Coco, Finding nemo, Up, Inside Out, Zootopia......you get the drift. Their originality comes in their animation which, until they bought Marvel, SW, and started the remakes, was what they were known for (and still should be).

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jedijake said:

It's not really about having to lower expectations. It's more about comparing two completely different film medium: cartoon vs live action. More can be done with cartoon that, if done with live action, would look really really awkward. But it seems as though this one is awkward enough.

People want original ideas. Disney has made several GREAT original films in the past few years. They include Frozen, Brave, Moana, Coco, Finding nemo, Up, Inside Out, Zootopia......you get the drift. Their originality comes in their animation which, until they bought Marvel, SW, and started the remakes, was what they were known for (and still should be).

It's Disney's fault for doing these films and making them so dang common now. We're getting 3 in the span of a year. It should be one or two otherwise they don't feel special. And it definitely shows when a beloved film like Aladdin is getting a LA adaptation that is almost borderline rotten already.

6 hours ago, cookie said:

Some parts are just kinda eh, Jafar is pretty weak (Kenzari’s costume has more screen precense than him) but I think what works works - and while it follows many of the same plot beats as the original, it’s not to the Beauty and the Beasy level where it feels like a complete copy. Not as different as say Jungle Book but some things did surprise me - and others left me a bit disappointed, but not crushingly so.

Will Smith is pretty fun (although more when he’s doing his own thing and less when he’s trying to imitate some of Robin Williams’s schtick) and Massoud is better than you’d expect, even if his singing is hit and miss. Naomi Scott’s the MVP though - her number is a bit out of place compared to everything else but she gives it her all and unlike a certain Hermione actually can sing, plus she and Massoud are cute together.

Overall I’d say I had a decent time. Not all the charm of the original is there but there’s some of it. Granted, I was pretty forgiving towards BATB but I’d say I enjoyed this one more. Kinda has that Pirates vibe with some action and adventure scenes but not in tired way like that series has become.

One such actual review is worth more than the million posts of essential hate that have flooded and strangled this thread since its inception.

• Like 1

All that time waiting for a Jasmine solo song that isn't delegated to some sing along VHS and that is what everyone was okay with? It's like the music is drowning Naomi out but she still manages to be pitchy and oversing the song.

It's a power struggle, and we all lose.

When she's not having to make herself heard (Maybe it was a metaphor) in A Whole New World, she sounds great.

Edited by Morieris

16 minutes ago, Morieris said:

All that time waiting for a Jasmine solo song that isn't delegated to some sing along VHS and that is what everyone was okay with? It's like the music is drowning Naomi out but she still manages to be pitchy and oversing the song.

It's a power struggle, and we all lose.

When she's not having to make herself heard (Maybe it was a metaphor) in A Whole New World, she sounds great.

I still have to listen to the song in context, but by itself, it seems really out of place among the rest of the soundtrack.

1 hour ago, Cappoedameron said:

C-

Chris is one of the few YouTube movie reviewers that I will actively search out to find his thoughts on a film, so if he doesn't like it, that's the cherry on top confirmation it's a no go for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

17 minutes ago, AJG said:

Elton John and Pets 2 are both out with this movie this weekend.

I dont understand Disneys thinking here.

It’s school half term this week in the UK so Pets is primed to take advantage of that. Both Aladdin and Pets can co-exist just fine. They’re the only family movies in town really until Toy Story. 

I’ve found the whole Aladdin date think bizarre since the off. Really it should have been Aladdin OR Lion King this summer. Not both. We’ll see how it pans out. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

75M 4-day weekend is quite low for Aladdin (that was deadline's latest tracking I believe?), will need to do at least 85M-90M 4 day if it hopes to break 200M domestic imo.

It’s low but it seems fair. 70-75m 4 day is the ballpark i’m thinking, it’s been looking like that for a while imo

Should I watch? Should I not watch?

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1