grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

What did you think of KoTM btw?

I thought it was pretty good. The monster action was great (though I was expecting more, oddly), but had problems with some of the human characters. Namely, the three central characters make some BIG leaps that kind of required us to know them longer to buy into. If they had also been in Godzilla 2014 and had development there, some of their choices would have been easier to swallow, imo.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

According to Mojo, Aladdin is getting the third highest theater release with 4476 location,  with only Despicable Me 3 and Endgame opening larger 😮 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/counts/chart/?yr=2019&wk=21&p=.htm

That’s a really huge theater count for Aladdin. Makes me wonder how much more theater count could there be for The Lion King (the bigger movie).

I mean every year is technically the year of Disney but this year especially 

disney besides dumbo has absolutely knocked it out the park 

perfect timing with Disney + in November 

congrats to @Alli most importantly who stuck with the movie even after the bad press with first trailer 

Well deserved success 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

I mean every year is technically the year of Disney but this year especially 

disney besides dumbo has absolutely knocked it out the park 

perfect timing with Disney + in November 

congrats to @Alli most importantly who stuck with the movie even after the bad press with first trailer 

Well deserved success 

???? :winomg:

Just now, Minnale101 said:

My older sister saw it tonight and loved it. That’s what I’m going off of lol

I mean that's fair but I don't think that's enough to crown it a success personally. I thought some good numbers dropped or something.

• Like 1

Just came out of Theatre, Most in my theatre had a blast watching it and I think more than once they all gasped and clapped. Also, during Speechless song, I heard more than a few gasps (even I had a goosebump hearing Naomi's speechless... "I will take these broken wings and watch me....")

There is a lot of action, more than enough and those trailers don't do justice to the movie.

Alladin is Ok, he isn't as bad as the reviews make him out. Zafar was comical at times. Will Smith did his best and I don't think in current generations of actors, anybody else with similar stardom as him could have done better. Naomi ...well she was perfect Jasmine.

Edited by anti-Pedantic
  • Like 1

The pendulum swing of Aladdin reactions so far:

• trailers - bad
  • social reactions - great
  • early reviews (mostly from UK) - outstanding
  • after 50 reviews (now approaching 200) - meh
  • forumners' review - quite good/surprisingly good (partly due to lower expectation)

So the swing is getting less to the extremes. I foresee for most people it will range from "okayish" to "good". Also fun entertaining on first watch, but perhaps lack rewatchibility.

I will have final say this weekend after I watch it

Spoiler

final say for myself personally 🙂

Jasmine/Naomi Scott is a clear highlight. Most people I’ve talked to say she was great and other main characters just fine to bad.     

Audience review #s on RT are very low right now, and it’s unclear to me how valuable it will be with the new change, but it’s showing some early indications of being another critic/GA mismatch.     

Disney live reimagining CS scores:   

Maleficent A

Jungle Book A

Pete’s Dragon A

BatB A

Cinderella A

Dumbo A-

AiW A-

AttLG A-

Oz B+   

Guessing A for Aladdin, but A- not shocking. Wonder if this group will ever get an A+.

2 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

So whatever happens, will we get a live action remake of Return of Jarjar? 

If it follows true to the format path of the original, it'll be on Disney+ in four or so years. :ph34r:

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 1

Just got back from this.

IMO the critics got it totally wrong on Aladdin. It's definitely better than Beauty and the Beast and is a solid 8 - 8.5/10. It's funny, it's romantic, and really fun. I enjoyed all 3 of the leads, and yes Naomi Scott blows it out of the park and deserves every bit of praise she's been getting.

Really hope this gets Jumanji level word of mouth because it's really really good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, firedeep said:

So great WOM, 400m locked? 1B WW possible?

Maybe if it opens wildly higher than expected. Hopefully it pulls a Jumanji, not necessarily with totals due, but more staying power than expected.

The RT audience rating (which I’m only curious about be of the new developments) has gone from 88% to 91% verified and 78% to 81% all audience. Hopefully the critics can go to 60%+ too. Cant watch it this weekend unfortunately, but I’m even more excited now.