grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

The more I think about this new Princess Jasmine song the more I dislike it. At both points it’s sang it feels shoehorned in (the reprise seems shot in a way where they could cut it out the movie last minute if it wasn’t working).

The song also doesn’t really feel deserved. The character is already outspoken and strong willed, so why is she singing as if she’s too scared to do the thing she’s been doing for the whole movie?

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

6 hours ago, That One Guy said:

this is possible.  doesn't change the fact that I was terrified.

But blue is such a non-threatening colour... If someone should look dangerous - that is Jafar. He looks exactly like a real Arab cutthroat would. (As I said - they changed the character, and he looks the part.)

Edited by shayhiri

17 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

But blue is such a non-threatening colour... If someone actually looks dangerous - that is Jafar. He looks exactly like a real Arab cutthroat should. (As I said - they changed the character, and he looks the part.)

He doesn't sound like one though.

So the RT audience score went from 88% to 93% for Verified and 78% to 88% for All. I’m more surprised about the jump in the All audience score. 10% increase in 2 days. I haven’t paid much attention to other RT audience scores so not sure how it compares. It looks like it’ll settle here and will likely start dropping over time like most movies. 

1 minute ago, Deja23 said:

So the RT audience score went from 88% to 93% for Verified and 78% to 88% for All. I’m more surprised about the jump in the All audience score. 10% increase in 2 days. I haven’t paid much attention to other RT audience scores so not sure how it compares. It looks like it’ll settle here and will likely start dropping over time like most movies. 

Imdb went from 5.8 to 7.2

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

Imdb went from 5.8 to 7.2

All proof that the marketing was abysmal and most (myself included) were fully expecting a giant turd. 

I LOVED it. Not perfect but very entertaining.

I thought it wouldn't do well but that's because I put too much stock into the "controversy/backlash" online from the casting, genie and other new plot points. All the people I know irl and on my personal social media accounts weren't aware/never heard or cared about said "controversy". many of them liked the movie. And it's Audience Score on Rotten Tomatoes is 93%.

I think it can do 200-250M domestic. Maybe 300M is a little too high unless it has very good legs (and that's not out of the question). I wonder how it will preform in Japan...

Edited by Aurora
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, shayhiri said:

So, what do we have till now:

A spectacular Shay win! All haters are cowering in fear. Aladdin is already on its way to becoming one of the biggest and certainly most loved movies of the year. Nearby smallish lizards will be trampled. A certain Guy is laughing all the way to the bank. With an amazing 130m OW and inevitable Christmas legs, this movie will deliver big time...

What we have from now on:

We are currently entering the Sequel Gambit. How much will the first movie need to make for the Disney suits to greenlight The Return of Jafar? Mind you, they are ever-greedy and trigger-happy...

55 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Give me Return of Jafar live action Genie.

Give it to me

Not even a 2B Aladdin would greenlit The Return of Jaffar (even less with King of Thieves). Let's just pray for Aladdin to milk the most of boxoffice and be happy with that. 

Watched the movie and loved it. Had no idea what its RT score was and was absolutely shocked to find out. Of course it's not a masterpiece, but it's good. Naomi Scott and Will Smith are great in the movie and that Mena kid was ok and is charismatic. 

Why are the reviews so bad, though? I don't get it. Do they not like Guy Ritchie or something?

Edited by Wally
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ttr said:

So is it justified to assume, that if embargo is not lifted early, the critical reception is going to be bad?

Lähetetty minun SM-A520F laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Ya, from the past experience, looks like it. If studio tried to delay the release of review, the sign is not good, except for EG, which clearly an attempt to avoid spoiler    

• Like 1