grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

9 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Heard there was a good deal of force-fed social justice 'stuff' in the movie but that it was overall better than expected. I'll wait for Netflix (assuming their DVD service will still carry Disney movies)

There was a part where a woman read a map. It was ridiculous. I couldn't roll my eyes harder.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 10
  • Knock It Off 1

After a few days of thinking about the movie I have to say that this movie is solid. I actually want to see it again- something I haven’t felt about any other remake so far.

With all of the debate regarding these ‘Live-Action’ remakes, I felt ‘Aladdin’ did an excellent job capturing the charm and adventure of the story, with each character’s essence still intact and shining through.

Jasmine/Naomi Scott’s performance (most notably Speechless) is the real-stand out! The scene is incredible and that scene alone makes the movie worth watching.

Its great to see that the movie is deservedly doing well and hopefully it bodes well for the movie’s legs in the future- considering it is going to face a lot of upcoming competition.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Heard there was a good deal of force-fed social justice 'stuff' in the movie but that it was overall better than expected. I'll wait for Netflix (assuming their DVD service will still carry Disney movies)

Arent we force fed with your comment as well as any other way of expression where words are used? ........

TTVOMJ

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maximum Avery said:

Was she blind? In the middle of a childbirth? What about that was worthy of an eyeroll?

TTVOMJ

You believe a WOMAN was even allowed to read maps back then???

I'm boycotting.

9 minutes ago, Maximum Avery said:

Arent we force fed with your comment as well as any other way of expression where words are used? ........

TTVOMJ

Yep and you're free to like/dislike/rant/protest/congratulate or otherwise acknowledge.  Isn't it great! 😄

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

You believe a WOMAN was even allowed to read maps back then???

I'm boycotting.

I hope you jest when you imply aladdin should follow historical "rules"..and even then... why not? There could have been and should have been women who read maps.. and if there really werent its up to disney to make something that should have been normal back then into whats normal now... even tho im afraid we aint there yet

TTVOMJ

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Did I watch the same movie as everyone else here? The movie felt about as hollow as I was expecting it to be. I guess I’ll give it points for making more of an effort to deviate from the animated film compared to Beauty and the Beast, but it still felt like another factory made remake that is completely inferior to the animated one, and that just dragged on, despite not even being that long. 

well it is fairly long, 38 minutes longer than the original. over two hours is long for a kids film. for reference, 2016 jungle book was 20 minutes shorter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lilmac said:

Well you heard wrong. There isn't anything even close to that. That's why it is not getting audience score bombed the same way The Last Jedi and Captain Marvel were, as even the unverified is over 90%. Heck, even IMDB has risen from in the mid 6's into the mid 7's now. I suppose there is one scene which could be confused to be "social justice stuff" if the viewer isn't paying attention, but on closer inspection you realize it works on a universal level.

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Did I watch the same movie as everyone else here? The movie felt about as hollow as I was expecting it to be. I guess I’ll give it points for making more of an effort to deviate from the animated film compared to Beauty and the Beast, but it still felt like another factory made remake that is completely inferior to the animated one, and that just dragged on, despite not even being that long. 

Are you sure that you were watching Aladdin and not Dumbo?

Edited by Claudio
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, AndyChrono said:

That's why it is not getting audience score bombed the same way The Last Jedi and Captain Marvel were

Regardless of content, It would be a bad moment for the audience review bomber to do it, if the first movie with the new system would show a big gap between verified score and non-verified that would show a confirmation to the people that think that those result were the result of trolling.

They need to find a good way around the current system first.

Edited by Barnack

Forced myself to see this today and I was pleasantly surprised.  Not a great movie by any means, and maybe my love for the original helped, but I enjoyed it.  For me, it's probably the best of the live action stuff, which yes I get is a backhanded compliment since they are all pretty bad.  Although I haven't seen Dumbo so can't speak to that one.

but I had fun with it and the crowd was semi-into it as well.  I have a few, or more, issues with it, but at least I don't feel like I wasted my money.  So I can see how people would be liking the film.

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

They need to find a good way around the current system first.

It’s easy, just bit a ticket 😉     

Spoiler

Okay, but seriously, you could buy a ticket for a days later showing of the movie, review bomb it, and then exchange for a movie you actually want to see or just get a refund.

Edited by Thanos Legion

1 hour ago, 75Live said:

Forced myself to see this today and I was pleasantly surprised.  Not a great movie by any means, and maybe my love for the original helped, but I enjoyed it.  For me, it's probably the best of the live action stuff, which yes I get is a backhanded compliment since they are all pretty bad.  Although I haven't seen Dumbo so can't speak to that one.

but I had fun with it and the crowd was semi-into it as well.  I have a few, or more, issues with it, but at least I don't feel like I wasted my money.  So I can see how people would be liking the film.

Save dumbo for Netflix or skip it all together. It's really bad. I grade Disney on a huge curve and at best it's a D or 1.5 stars out of 5

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Save dumbo for Netflix or skip it all together. It's really bad. I grade Disney on a huge curve and at best it's a D or 1.5 stars out of 5

thanks for the heads up.  I wasn't going to see it in the theaters anyway, but if I do ever wind up seeing it, yeah I will wait to cable or netflix, whichever comes first :P 

• Like 1