grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

Aladdin was the second movie in a row (the other being Endgame of course) where the audience really seemed into it. Endgame had lots of oohs and ahhs during the movie and gasping breath. But Aladdin had the applause at the end. I don't remember outright applause when the credits rolled in EG.

We all knew that EG would be a phenomenon. Hell, it was a phenomenon the second it was announced. But Aladdin has become a little bit of a phenomenon itself at least for now. I'm not sure if there's been a movie that people were weary about going in and then amazed since Wonder Woman.

And no critics don't review bomb. The general public may review bomb movies, but not critics. It's just that critics MAY be swept into the social media buzz. Or, more likely, they see so many movies that they just look for something different than families with kids, teens, etc.

Edited by jedijake

4 hours ago, AJG said:

There was a part where a woman read a map. It was ridiculous. I couldn't roll my eyes harder.

Don't forget the part when they shoehorned this "I am not a prize to be won" line. I'm sick of this SJW BS !!!!!!!!!!!! SO FORCED!!!!!!!!11111!!!KAKIAICNOAIOFAOIAO

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

This was a good movie; better than the live action remakes of Beauty and the Beast and The Jungle Book. It actually felt like Guy Ritchie's sensibilities as a director were a good fit for this film, in terms of the action and energy of the film. Beauty and the Beast and The Jungle Book were also decent, but just felt so lacking in energy and forward movement.

The biggest improvement on the original was Jasmine, whose agency and choices created the most compelling moments of the film. Naomi Scott elevated the role in what is, like the original, a fairly simple story. The strongest attribute of the original is Robin Williams, and Will Smith certainly can't compete in delivering the laughs. Nevertheless, he made it his own and there were many moments I had a good laugh.

For me, all of the Disney live action remakes have largely been a case of being satisfactory or sufficient, but never really going much beyond that. Aladdin at least felt like it had some zest to it, with good performances from the main trio. Given Beauty and the Beast was a hit, I won't be surprised in Aladdin rides good WOM.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, YLF said:

This movie is awesome and I love will smiths rendition of Arabian nights. I’ve been listening to it on repeat. I’m shocked how much I liked this movie. Seeing it in Dolby I think enhanced the experience when they were doing their musical numbers

been listening to it ... loved the percussion rhythm ... it's very catching. 

Marketing could have been so much better for Aladdin (somebody should be been fired at this very moment in Disney). I keep thinking this movie could have been the 2020 summer event ala TLK is gonna be the 2019 summer event. And in that case, this could have flown up to BatB ww numbers easily. Now it will have to settle for 700M+ ww maximum (not bad, but not the best either given what Aladdin means on Disney animation history).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

And no critics don't review bomb. The general public may review bomb movies, but not critics. It's just that critics MAY be swept into the social media buzz. Or, more likely, they see so many movies that they just look for something different than families with kids, teens, etc.

Critics are writers. The job of writers is to write stuff that their readers would like to read. They don’t come into theatres to entertain themselves. They come into theatres to look for materials they are going to write about. It is their job. Given all the pre-release bad press, they fully anticipated the movie to bomb so when coming into the theatre, they were looking for materials that would justify the movie bombing. With that mindset, it is natural that they would ignore or overlook the good points and focus or exaggerate the bad points of the movie, since they think that’s what their readers would like to read. They were not able to judge that the movie would be such a huge crowd pleaser and public opinion would be completely turned around.

If they were to review the movie now after the public opinion is revealed, the reviews would have been much better. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, serpenthero said:

Critics are writers. The job of writers is to write stuff that their readers would like to read. They don’t come into theatres to entertain themselves. They come into theatres to look for materials they are going to write about. It is their job. Given all the pre-release bad press, they fully anticipated the movie to bomb so when coming into the theatre, they were looking for materials that would justify the movie bombing. With that mindset, it is natural that they would ignore or overlook the good points and focus or exaggerate the bad points of the movie, since they think that’s what their readers would like to read. They were not able to judge that the movie would be such a huge crowd pleaser and public opinion would be completely turned around.

If they were to review the movie now after the public opinion is revealed, the reviews would have been much better. 

Exactly!!

1. This is great psychological thinking!!

2. Gongrats for having that - and welcome to the boards!

3. Once again: the critics are vultures, slanderers, instigators and flat out liars - and should never EVER be trusted!

4. On TOP of that: any sane person should always think for himself and shouldn't allow any influence. Be like that people, don't be herd cattle, like you've shown in this thread.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, serpenthero said:

Guaranteed. Hence the other talk in the weekend thread is bullcrap. They also did this because of Dumbo. Watch Lion King be like 97

9 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

"Everyone who disagrees with me is an idiot. People shouldn't have different opinions to mine. waaaaa"

By the way, your precious Alita flopped and had extremely mediocre legs so not a good comparison.

Alita made $400M+ WW on expectations of about $150M WW, with a similar gap in critic/audience reception, so it's not a bad comp for what Aladdin just pulled off in relative terms.

Also, stop beating up on Alita, it's a damn good movie and hopefully does great with ancillaries and focus group tests for a possible sequel or tv series.

eX0GNDR.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 2

Watched Aladdin today ... I thought the movie was pretty good. Not sure why these Disney live action movies get such a bad wrap. I could say the same for Dumbo, which I enjoyed. I mean if people are going to nitpick everything about a film and compare them to their animated counterparts, then of course they're not going to be satisfied. There's a lot you can do with animation, you can't feasibly do with a live action motion picture.

32 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Alita made $400M+ WW on expectations of about $150M WW, with a similar gap in critic/audience reception, so it's not a bad comp for what Aladdin just pulled off in relative terms.

Also, stop beating up on Alita, it's a damn good movie and hopefully does great with ancillaries and focus group tests for a possible sequel or tv series.

eX0GNDR.png

I thought it was gonna do 1 billie?

57 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

eX0GNDR.png

its still a huge commercial disappointment. Dont forget 3rd of its gross from china which gives 23% returns. For it to be a franchise needed 150m domestic and 600m WW. So not even close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Damn I'm still only wrapping my head around how much this really did outperform (most/many) expectations. 

Take BOM for example. Their 4-day prediction was 75.3. With Charlie's numbers in the weekend thread, the 4-day actual is looking to be a full 40M higher. To put that in perspective, Endgame was predicted at 300M by BOM, and came in at 357. Aladdin's "overperformance" is rather close to the discrepancy between Mojo's predictions for it and for Endgame. 

Now, I understand that Mojo was closer to the lower end of predictions from the trades, and they were rather lofty on Endgame. Still, it's a pretty big overperformance. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pure Spirit said:

eX0GNDR.png

Where did the 150 mil WW come from? Most people predicted that it would make the money in just China lmao. You legit just pulled the number out of your ass. And it still flopped (biggest flop of the year after Dumbo) so it isn't a good comp. 

And keep dreaming about the rest. 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 5

Saw this a second time today and I am convinced that if they had cast a more capable actor for Jafar I'd probably give this the edge over the animated one. That along with feeling like "A Whole New World" could have stood to be a bit more dazzling visually since the animated sequence is so visually grand. I know it's pretty much sacrilege for me to say this as a 90's kid, but I think I like Smith's genie just as much as Williams', which is just absurd to me to admit. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some interesting Aladdin-related Shay tidbits:

1. I'm seeing the movie EVERY night so far. FOUR viewings till now. Seems I was right this movie will easily make TEN viewings. Taking different friends with me. Everyone loves the film of the year!

2. There is not a SINGLE thing I do not like about this movie. Every new viewing reveals more new details. It is absolutely PACKED with good stuff, as a good adaptation of an animated classic should.

3. I really like the Jafar actor now! He is actually pretty good. And very well cast! I enjoy his scenes as much as all the others. He even has a talent for comedy, which is rare. From now on I will defend him from anyone! As any other unjustly maligned person or movie, he will now enjoy the Full Shay Protection.

4. I still cry a lot at 3 or 4 places in the movie, snots and everything. Really kills me. And I laugh out loud 20 times. :)

5. Can't wait for my girlfriend to come back from abroad (she had to go for a week 😕 ) so that I could share this gem with her. She never saw the animated one, she was too young back then - but she knows how much I love Arabian stories, because she has read my books.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pure Spirit said:

Alita made $400M+ WW on expectations of about $150M WW

With an expected 25/75 split or more intl heavy, for making 150m WW you are talking under 40m domestic for a 200m action Sci-fi.

Valerian went really really bad and did 225m.

3 hours ago, serpenthero said:

This is what I was trying to convey in the weekend thread. But no one gets it.  Its so clear because so many of the critics wrote about the same negative things people were talking about after the trailers came out. They literally focused on those negatives. But on the contrary those aren't even negatives in the movie. Like Will smith is not bad as Genie, on the contrary he's superb and one of the positives of the movie. So how come the critics after watching the movie are saying that he's bad/ or a negative for the movie. Its so clear they were trying to mimic the audience opinion/sentiment that people had after watching the trailers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 2

4 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Return of Jafar runtime: 69 minutes

King of Thieves runtime: 81 minutes   

You could just incorporate ideas from both into a single live-action sequel (and also beef up Jasmine’s role seeing as she’s the best character).

From the weekend thread. Big problem with RoJ is that Jafar was meh. Becoming a genie and trapped in the lamp for a while could you an excuse to recast and reflavor the character maybe.

21 minutes ago, harsh3090416 said:

This is what I was trying to convey in the weekend thread. But no one gets it.  Its so clear because so many of the critics wrote about the same negative things people were talking about after the trailers came out. They literally focused on those negatives. But on the contrary those aren't even negatives in the movie. Like Will smith is not bad as Genie, on the contrary he's superb and one of the positives of the movie. So how come the critics after watching the movie are saying that he's bad/ or a negative for the movie. Its so clear they were trying to mimic the audience opinion/sentiment that people had after watching the trailers. 

Don't worry about the sheep not getting it. I can guarantee their lack of judgment hurts their quality of life just as much as their entertainment. It is good that YOU get it. This will help you further in life.