grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

5 hours ago, shayhiri said:

Some interesting Aladdin-related Shay tidbits:

1. I'm seeing the movie EVERY night so far. FOUR viewings till now. Seems I was right this movie will easily make TEN viewings. Taking different friends with me. Everyone loves the film of the year!

2. There is not a SINGLE thing I do not like about this movie. Every new viewing reveals more new details. It is absolutely PACKED with good stuff, as a good adaptation of an animated classic should.

3. I really like the Jafar actor now! He is actually pretty good. And very well cast! I enjoy his scenes as much as all the others. He even has a talent for comedy, which is rare. From now on I will defend him from anyone! As any other unjustly maligned person or movie, he will now enjoy the Full Shay Protection.

4. I still cry a lot at 3 or 4 places in the movie, snots and everything. Really kills me. And I laugh out loud 20 times. :)

5. Can't wait for my girlfriend to come back from abroad (she had to go for a week 😕 ) so that I could share this gem with her. She never saw the animated one, she was too young back then - but she knows how much I love Arabian stories, because she has read my books.

Jaffar is fine?0.0 omg... thank god!! He was the only missed opportunity(beside as i saw in trailers the size of the cave in this reimagining pales to humongousness of the cave in the original), but im willing to give anything a try ofc.. ty for the heads up

TTVOMJ

Edited by Maximum Avery
Typos

9 hours ago, serpenthero said:

Critics are writers. The job of writers is to write stuff that their readers would like to read. They don’t come into theatres to entertain themselves. They come into theatres to look for materials they are going to write about. It is their job. Given all the pre-release bad press, they fully anticipated the movie to bomb so when coming into the theatre, they were looking for materials that would justify the movie bombing. With that mindset, it is natural that they would ignore or overlook the good points and focus or exaggerate the bad points of the movie, since they think that’s what their readers would like to read. They were not able to judge that the movie would be such a huge crowd pleaser and public opinion would be completely turned around.

If they were to review the movie now after the public opinion is revealed, the reviews would have been much better. 

I fully agree, and to sum it up. Generally speaking critics have become less and less opinion based and more concerned about pleasing their audience.

Which is why plenty of review's argumentation feels so stretched and thin, since they're trying to justify a narrative rather than give an opinion, tending to write them in a "factual" tone.

I honestly rather get my reviews from the less professional big YouTube reviewers, whom at the very least, judge them from a consistent, opinionated but honest point of view. They don't do "hit pieces".

Be careful about the smaller ones though, it's not like there aren't Youtube reviewers just as nasty out there, thankfully they're not "big", yet.

Too bad there isn't a modern Siskel and Ebert to inspire the mainstream critics to just base their opinions on the actual movie experience, so they stop looking like buffoons when the audience score is out.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, WhiteWings said:

I fully agree, and to sum it up. Generally speaking critics have become less and less opinion based and more concerned about pleasing their audience.

Which is why plenty of review's argumentation feels so stretched and thin, since they're trying to justify a narrative rather than give an opinion, tending to write them in a "factual" tone.

I honestly rather get my reviews from the less professional big YouTube reviewers, whom at the very least, judge them from a consistent, opinionated but honest point of view. They don't do "hit pieces".

Be careful about the smaller ones though, it's not like there aren't Youtube reviewers just as nasty out there, thankfully they're not "big", yet.

Too bad there isn't a modern Siskel and Ebert to inspire the mainstream critics to just base their opinions on the actual movie experience, so they stop looking like buffoons when the audience score is out.

Except critics don't try to write in a factual tone? YouTubers are more likely throw around phrases like "this movie was objectively good" and stuff like that. Critics (I mean the actual certified ones and not glorified bloggers) usually imply their subjectivity and don't force their opinion on someone else. 

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Except critics don't try to write in a factual tone? YouTubers are more likely throw around phrases like "this movie was objectively good" and stuff like that. Critics (I mean the actual certified ones and not glorified bloggers) usually imply their subjectivity and don't force their opinion on someone else. 

Exactly and that's what they are meant to do. You are free to express your extreme opinions and inject your bias into it. Just do it on Twitter, a blog, or a message board :)

I'd rather professionals act like professionals. It's similar in my profession where people scream annuities are bad! In many cases they are horrible, in some cases they serve a purpose.

4 minutes ago, syntaxerror said:

Honestly without Disney’s marketing mess ups this could have topped 1B, maybe even beat BatB. 

It’ll still make more than 700, maybe 800 if the legs stick, but some missed opportunities here.

yeah, this is a perfect adventure-romance with great music, likable leads, star power. Disney dropped the marketing ball and critics got caught in expectation that it would suck so they missed the boat with supporting this charming movie. but it looks like WOM is fantastic, not just good, so it'll leg it up. 

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Just by feeling the need of pointing out the "glorified bloggers" you know how arguable this is. There are too many of those, and I'd argue too many "certified critics" have stooped to their level.

11 hours ago, harsh3090416 said:

This is what I was trying to convey in the weekend thread. But no one gets it.  Its so clear because so many of the critics wrote about the same negative things people were talking about after the trailers came out. They literally focused on those negatives. But on the contrary those aren't even negatives in the movie. Like Will smith is not bad as Genie, on the contrary he's superb and one of the positives of the movie. So how come the critics after watching the movie are saying that he's bad/ or a negative for the movie. Its so clear they were trying to mimic the audience opinion/sentiment that people had after watching the trailers. 

Overwhelmingly, the only positive things critics had to say about the movie was that Will Smith made for a great Genie.

What are you talking about?

Edited by I Am

Critics vs Audiences

Critics

Aladdin: Poor

Jasmine: Good

Genie: Not Robin Williams, but still pretty good

Jafar: Bad

Music: Just okay, new song is awful

Audiences

Aladdin: Okay

Jasmine: Amazing

Genie: Not Robin Williams, but just as great in a Fresh Prince way

Jafar: Bad

Music: Amazing, new song is great (Currently #1 album on iTunes & new song just broke into Top 10 songs)

idk if Disney cared much but I know I know in modern criticisms of the cartoon, Jafar is often referred to as a racist caricature. I kinda think this is why they changed up his depiction in this version. I don't know if it was for the best. 

Pretty fun up until Aladdin has to win Jasmine over as Prince Ali. Ffell asleep during the climax. Smith absolutely kills it. The Americanism of it is annoying.  

Edited by Goffe