grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

I ended up seeing this twice on Saturday, once at IMAX with only maybe 30 people in a 400+ seat theatre, and once at my local cinema also with just over 400 seats but this one was nearly sold out. I really loved it and I'll be seeing it again this weekend with family, although it sucks both Godzilla and Rocketman are coming out because it's losing most of the premium theatres (losing IMAX isn't as bad since it never sold much there anyway). I'm glad to see it doing well and beating a lot of peoples' negative expectations based on the trailers, here's hoping it can leg it out and get a good total.

As an aside there's a teachers' strike here in NZ today for all schools up to high school, so that's a ton of kids looking for something to do. I've been checking out the cinema sites and the majority of screens look to be doing basically school holiday business so it'll be interesting to see how this helps the take here. Detective Pikachu is also selling more but has smaller theatres, so won't benefit as much, but it's a little boost for that too. Of course we're a small country so it won't be huge overall, but it still helps since it'll be the last day it has the bigger theatres before Godzilla and RM come out tonight for previews/tomorrow.

• Thanks 2

Saw it a second time with my sister. Some pros and cons, but it’s time for a little blasphemy:   

I think I slightly prefer this to the animated version.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Ok that was loads of fun. And actually some subtle changes to the original worked well for me. Definitely agree it belongs in TJB and Cinderella category of good remakes and not in the BatB or (unfortunately for me) Dumbo category of mediocrity. Let's not talk about the Alice movies or Malificent. 

7 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Saw it a second time with my sister. Some pros and cons, but it’s time for a little blasphemy:   

I think I slightly prefer this to the animated version.

Me too.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Don’t get the praise, the one thing that saves this movie from being a train wreck is Will Smith.

Based on commentary here and other places, I'm starting to think it's one of those extremely mediocre movies that people claim to like because the "girlz rool boyz drool" factor is super high. If that's the case, then Disney should've taken the "Maleficent" route and made a Jasmine movie, instead of trying to remake one of the best animated movies of all time.

After "Beauty and the Beast," I wouldn't have been nearly as excited to see such a film, but I would have anticipated it much, much more than an unnecessary live action remake with a reportedly drab titular character and a supposedly horrific rendition of Disney's greatest animated villain.

• ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 2

On 5/28/2019 at 12:24 PM, WhiteWings said:

I fully agree, and to sum it up. Generally speaking critics have become less and less opinion based and more concerned about pleasing their audience.

Which is why plenty of review's argumentation feels so stretched and thin, since they're trying to justify a narrative rather than give an opinion, tending to write them in a "factual" tone.

I honestly rather get my reviews from the less professional big YouTube reviewers, whom at the very least, judge them from a consistent, opinionated but honest point of view. They don't do "hit pieces".

Be careful about the smaller ones though, it's not like there aren't Youtube reviewers just as nasty out there, thankfully they're not "big", yet.

Too bad there isn't a modern Siskel and Ebert to inspire the mainstream critics to just base their opinions on the actual movie experience, so they stop looking like buffoons when the audience score is out.

The idea that critics have an agenda in a way 'ordinary folks' don't when it comes to consuming movies is one the great conspiracy theories of this board that refuses to die. 

55 minutes ago, I Am said:

Based on commentary here and other places, I'm starting to think it's one of those extremely mediocre movies that people claim to like because the "girlz rool boyz drool" factor is super high. If that's the case, then Disney should've taken the "Maleficent" route and made a Jasmine movie, instead of trying to remake one of the best animated movies of all time.

After "Beauty and the Beast," I wouldn't have been nearly as excited to see such a film, but I would have anticipated it much, much more than an unnecessary live action remake with a reportedly drab titular character and a supposedly horrific rendition of Disney's greatest animated villain.

Do you base all your wrong presumptions before watching a movie or is that part irrelevant to you?xD throw the ball dizz... xD

TTVOMJ

11 minutes ago, Maximum Avery said:

Do you base all your wrong presumptions before watching a movie or is that part irrelevant to you?xD throw the ball dizz... xD

TTVOMJ

I'm basing them on you all's like of that trash ass new soundtrack.

If the music is garbage, the movie is garbage - no other way around it.

• Knock It Off 2

6 minutes ago, I Am said:

I'm basing them on you all's like of that trash ass new soundtrack.

If the music is garbage, the movie is garbage - no other way around it.

Havent seen it so i couldnt judge fairly, but i love how you use the words "you all's".. hihihi

TTVOMJ

1 hour ago, I Am said:

I shouldn't even be replying to such an ignorant trolling post, however I will take this as an opportunity to say the best thing about this movie is that Aladdin and Jasmine both have an equally important role to play. They didn't expand Jasmine's role at the expense of detracting from Aladdin's. It only made everything stronger and led to a movie where the female and male protagonists are equally significant to the plot. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I shouldn't even be replying to such an ignorant trolling post, however I will take this as an opportunity to say the best thing about this movie is that Aladdin and Jasmine both have an equally important role to play. They didn't expand Jasmine's role at the expense of detracting from Aladdin's. It only made everything stronger and led to a movie where the female and male protagonists are equally significant to the plot. 

this. the change to make it more modern is actually done organically and since the story is fairytale, who cares whether it lines up with that period in history or not. it's a fantasy and, again, the change works. that's all that matters. all characters are done justice save Jafar due to LOL casting, but he makes the movie funnier so...:lol:

Edited by Valonqar