grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Yeah, it's a lot better then I expected, especially given how poorly done the marketing was. The movie didn't exactly wow me, but it's a nice little "charmer". Comparing it more to the Broadway version, seems about right. 

I slightly prefer the musical adaptation compared to the live action film because it's more of a musical comedy which makes it work better for the stage and also because it uses the cut Howard Ashman songs like Proud of Your Boy and High Adventure. 

• Like 1

So I was working on Tuesday and I ran into a girl I used to be friends with in middle school. Me and some of my friends stopped talking to her because she got really opinionated once getting into high school and we couldn't take it anymore (she was always very religious and it never mattered but once we started grade 9 literally any conversation you had with her was her being confrontational about "why don't YOU believe in God" "how dare you say abortion is a woman's choice" etc.

Anyways whenever I do run into her at work she's always friendly with me and stuff. So I bumped into her when she was leaving this movie and I asked her what she thought and she literally said (and I quote)

"it was really good! But I didn't like Jasmine's new song. Women should not be speaking when there is a capable man present. We should be quiet. No Jasmine! No speaking!" 

it was damn weird. It's really sad that there are people who think this way, about themselves no less

• Haha 3
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 5

29 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Speechless as a song is good but I found it pretty jarring when watching it in the actual film.

I wouldn't say I was a fan of it (I don't really like Paul and Pasek's music) but it was much worse in the film. It would have fit better in The Greatest Showman or Frozen. It's way too poppy and anthemic compared to the more theatrical style of the other songs. 

13 hours ago, Maximum Avery said:

It must have worked if you called it an analogy..hihihi... so it cant be a ridiculous statement.. or you meant really really funny one.. in that case ty^^

and there is that emotionless dr mengele smile again :o xD jk

TTVOMJ

No, I called it an analogy because I saw that you were attempting one. But it was ridiculous so I called it that too. Keep them coming, they are good entertainment value in a head-shaking, clown-show way. :)

Edited by SteveJaros

11 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

No, I called it an analogy because I saw that you were attempting one. But it was ridiculous so I called it that too. Keep them coming, they are good entertainment value in a head-shaking, clown-show way. :)

Try harder... there is no double seat bicycle backpedaling... its just not doable xD analogy is an analogy.. not an attempt.. and certainly not after being exposed cindy^^  you cant acuse someone of attempt of sarcasm or irony... its felt.. GAME OVER..

dont even try to discuss things with me... my whole country/family/friends are an average bunch who just heard of universal suffrage while i am dealing with quantum mechanics xD guess what that does to an average wanna-be pedestrian ^^

TTVOMJ

I just watched it and it ... was ... amazing! That new song speechless by Naomi Scott is now my new favourite song. Its so powerful and she sings it so well. Naomi is an absolutely awesome Jasmine!

This movie will have legs. You all just wait and see. The word of mouth will be amazing for this movie.

Edited by Eldenfirefly

3 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Speechless as a song is good but I found it pretty jarring when watching it in the actual film.

I felt that too ... Speechless works good as a pop song ... but it sounded exactly like that, a pop song for comercial purposes. It lacked the tone and entity for an arabic-indian theme. 

I love Pokemon (watching it on Netflix with my daughter as I'm typing this and still knew the song by heart after 22 years) but Aladdin is on a different level. My daughter is obsessed with Speechless and A Whole New World.

7 hours ago, cdsacken said:

I love Pokemon (watching it on Netflix with my daughter as I'm typing this and still knew the song by heart after 22 years) but Aladdin is on a different level. My daughter is obsessed with Speechless and A Whole New World.

For those that criticized the movie for being pointless there's the answer right there, introducing Aladdin to a new generation! I know I would have LOVED a live-action Aladdin when I was 10, despite having seen the original animation many times by that point. I saw the original live-action The Jungle Book, the 1994 Jason Scott Lee one, in theaters in first grade (whole class), and while that had little to nothing to do with the animation, I still liked it. Now if I had seen the 2016 Jungle Book back then, I mean that would have blown my little 7yo brain.

• Like 2

Finally watched this today. I loved it! It was really funny and I cried a couple of times, but it’s relatively easy for a movie to make me emotional. Anyway, loved the songs and the acting, and while it starts kind of rough, it’s really good overall. Watching it, I realized I’ve never watched the animated movie in full, only clips of the songs. So I had no expectations of how the characters would behave. Yeah, no surprise it’s doing well. The kids and families in my showing laughed a lot and a couple of kids were dancing at the end credits song. I’d put it above BatB ‘17 and I really liked that movie. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, DAJK said:

So I was working on Tuesday and I ran into a girl I used to be friends with in middle school. Me and some of my friends stopped talking to her because she got really opinionated once getting into high school and we couldn't take it anymore (she was always very religious and it never mattered but once we started grade 9 literally any conversation you had with her was her being confrontational about "why don't YOU believe in God" "how dare you say abortion is a woman's choice" etc.

Anyways whenever I do run into her at work she's always friendly with me and stuff. So I bumped into her when she was leaving this movie and I asked her what she thought and she literally said (and I quote)

"it was really good! But I didn't like Jasmine's new song. Women should not be speaking when there is a capable man present. We should be quiet. No Jasmine! No speaking!" 

it was damn weird. It's really sad that there are people who think this way, about themselves no less

She’s one person. Not representative of anything or any group unless it fits preconceived notions. But I emphasize. Sucks for me because 99% of the content out there is opposite of what I believe (I.e. stories and scripts written from a pushy progressive/atheistic point of view). 

Edited by lilmac
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

4 hours ago, AlexMA said:

For those that criticized the movie for being pointless there's the answer right there, introducing Aladdin to a new generation

I mean, from a financial perspective this is a no-brainer. 

Introducing your classics to a new generation while milking the generations that already love your movies. 

Especially considering that their worst performing are Dumbo and Pete's Dragon, and they barely lost money (if they even did, I'd think PD broke even, and Dumbo will be really close) 

People saying "why is this a movie?" have no idea how the industry works. 

11 hours ago, lilmac said:

She’s one person. Not representative of anything or any group unless it fits preconceived notions. But I emphasize. Sucks for me because 99% of the content out there is opposite of what I believe (I.e. stories and scripts written from a pushy progressive/atheistic point of view). 

If anything, so long as we have church in classes, in constitution, politics, money... dont use word pushy close to something OBVIOUSLY needed AS PROGRESS.. tyvm^^ this is coming from a catholic btw

TTVOMJ

Edited by Maximum Avery
Typos
  • Like 1