grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

On 8/20/2018 at 10:37 PM, EmpireCity said:

I told you guys months ago the footage looks awful, the cast is shitty, the set design and costume design is poor and it is shot like a really bad Richie movie.  It is going to bomb very very hard.  

Most likely.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

16 minutes ago, superheavysun said:

Aladdin should pass 1 billion easy as long as they Double feature it with Lion king. The only possible way Aladdin does not make pass 1 billion is if Disney don't Double feature it with Lion king.

It would go well past 1B even with $0 of double features and 0 late summer expansion. Double features are like a $2M difference and it’s aiming around 1.05 now.

Update:

In its eighth weekend, Aladdin grossed $6,173,124. These are all the films released in May or June (since 2001) that grossed between $5.6M an d $6.6M in their eighth weekend, and how much they added from that point onwards:

The Hangover ($6,461,370): $30,248,737
Shrek ($6,007,027): $27,104,852

If Aladdin follows The Hangover, its final gross will be $362,038,581.
If Aladdin follows Shrek, its final gross will be $358,894,696.

For those who prefer multipliers, these are the multipliers of the above films (gross added after eighth weekend in relation to eighth weekend gross):

The Hangover: 4.68
Shrek: 4.51

If Aladdin follows The Hangover, its final gross will be $360,680,064.
If Aladdin follows Shrek, its final gross will be $359,630,633.

All in all, a fairly narrow range: $358M to $362M.

As the above sample is so small, it may be of interest to add the films released in May or June (since 2001) that grossed between $4.6M an d $7.6M in their eighth weekend, and how much they added from that point onwards (though the comparison is inevitably going to be less precise):

Finding Nemo ($7,275,723): $35,919,258
Marvel's The Avengers ($7,177,661): $24,932,468
Incredibles 2 ($4,980,232): $25,469,222
Wonder Woman ($4,608,028): $23,552,101

On the basis of the above, the worst-case scenario is $355,341,945 (if Aladdin follows Wonder Woman) and the best-case scenario is $367,709,102 (if it follows Finding Nemo).

Multipliers:

Finding Nemo: 4.94
Marvel's The Avengers: 3.47
Incredibles 2: 5.11
Wonder Woman: 5.11

On the basis of the above, the worst-case scenario is $353,210,584 (if Aladdin follows Marvel's The Avengers) and the best-case scenario is $363,334,507 (if it follows Incredibles 2 and Wonder Woman).

All in all, a broader range: $353M to $367M.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I saw this yesterday and REALLY enjoyed it. I had never seen the original so I had nothing to compare it to, and maybe that was to my benefit, because I went in with only middling expectations, but man... I thought it was great. Clever, visually spectacular, catchy songs, and Will Smith ruled as the genie. Sure, it was often cheesy, and it loses some steam the last 15 or so minutes, but as a pure summertime popcorn flick, it can't be beat.

Favorite scene? The one that reminded me of a certain magical sequence with Superman and Lois in Superman: The Movie, and those old enough to remember will know the one I'm talking about...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In term's of milestones, Aladdin has now officially doubled the next biggest May release this year (John Wick 3). When you consider how crowded a month it was for releases (JW3, Detective Pikachu, Rocketman, Godzilla) it's a pretty impressive feat. 

Its also on pace to stay in the top 10 in its ninth weekend, and with the next couple of weekends only having one wide release each, should hold in the top 10 for at least the next two,to take it to 11 total. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Terraforce said:

Wow apparently the original song 'Desert Moon' that was cut from the movie will be  included in the deleted scenes. Definitely an incentive to pick this up for me.

That....actually explains why there's a "Desert Moon" version of Jasmine as both a Funko and a Doll but she never wears the outfit in the movie.

On 7/1/2019 at 12:37 PM, Thanos Legion said:

OW ranked 68th (now 69 after TS4).

2nd weekend ranked 81st (now 82nd after TS4).

3rd weekend ranked 76th.

4th weekend ranked 58th.

5th weekend ranked 36th.

6th weekend ranks 40th.

7th weekend ranked 39th.

On 7/15/2019 at 1:32 PM, Thanos Legion said:

8th weekend flat at 39th place (beating the previous 39th - The Lion King :ph34r:). To get its 5th consecutive top 40 weekend will need just 4.74M next weekend, which I’m optimistic about.    

I think it will beat Inside Out. The top of this range seems difficult with some kind of Labor Day action, but... 🤷‍♂️

A145-E0-EA-02-D1-4261-B4-EA-B58-D30-F729

9th weekend ranked 65th, to be flat next weekend would need 3.02M, looks fairly possible.   

I saw it again last week but was so late to it (I thought there'd be 20 mins of ads and trailers... I was wrong) I came in just as the director's credit came up, aka after Arabian Nights has just finished. :what: I've gotta watch it again to make up for that because I love that song. I was pretty mad with myself since I've never been that late to a movie, but it was a 9:30am session and I do want some semblance of a sleep-in on the weekend.

7 hours ago, Gamora said:

I saw it again last week but was so late to it (I thought there'd be 20 mins of ads and trailers... I was wrong) I came in just as the director's credit came up, aka after Arabian Nights has just finished. :what: I've gotta watch it again to make up for that because I love that song. I was pretty mad with myself since I've never been that late to a movie, but it was a 9:30am session and I do want some semblance of a sleep-in on the weekend.

You missed one of the best parts of the movie 🙁

• Sad 2

Congrats to aladdin and shoutout to alli dude was the only one I remember completely sticking with Aladdin no matter the negative reactions at time 

Movie did more than detective pikachu, godzilla WW and John wick domestic total  combined 

absolutely owned may 

most enjoyable Disney live action movie 

Edited by Minnale101
  • Like 3

Just now, Minnale101 said:

Congrats to aladdin and shoutout to @alli dude was the only one I remember completely sticking with Aladdin no matter the negative reactions at time 

Movie did more than detective pikachu, godzilla WW and John wick domestic total  combined 

absolutely owned may 

most enjoyable Disney live action movie 

aladdin was suprisingly good

• Like 2