grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

I don't think I've ever been so pleased for a movie to cross $1 billion that I thought was merely decent. Even more impressive is the fact that it did so while competing in an incredibly crowded market. The main reason I'm happy is that it's a welcome lesson to not write things off prematurely which many of us, myself included, were doing with this movie for months up until its release. 
What a couple of years for Guy Ritchie. 2017 saw him direct one of the biggest flops in years, and now he has his first billion dollar grosser.

Edited by gadd
  • Like 4

I was bullish enough for the success of the film to join the $900M club after the first weekend, but I don't think I would have ever predicted $1B. It's amazing to see it leg out like this. 

This film is up there with Aquaman of films that hit a billion that took people by surprise in recent years. 

On 7/25/2019 at 1:28 PM, Thanos Legion said:

OW ranked 68th (now 69 after TS4).

2nd weekend ranked 81st (now 82nd after TS4).

3rd weekend ranked 76th.

4th weekend ranked 58th.

5th weekend ranked 36th.

6th weekend ranks 40th.

7th weekend ranked 39th.

8th weekend ranked 39th.

9th weekend ranked 65th.

10th weekend ranked 64th. 

To stay flat at 64 needs 2.4M, think it’ll be around there.   

Heading toward 360+ DOM and 1.06+ WW.

8 minutes ago, Terraforce said:

Are the chances of this passing TJB WW relatively decent by the end of its run? 

Well, TJB is below 1B. And Aladdin is already above 1B. So... prettttttty decent, yeah.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Terraforce said:

Are the chances of this passing TJB WW relatively decent by the end of its run? 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=junglebook2015.htm

TLJ did $11.3m more after a $2.76m w/e - a 5x multi off that w/e.

Aladdin would have to do $17.8m after a $3m w/e - almost a 7 multi - chances slim

Edit:   :slaphead:  As WW it's already happened which is why my mind automatically went to Dom.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=junglebook2015.htm

TLJ did $11.3m more after a $2.76m w/e - a 5x multi off that w/e.

Aladdin would have to do $17.8m after a $3m w/e - almost a 7 multi - chances slim

Edit:   :slaphead:  As WW it's already happened which is why my mind automatically went to Dom.

Regarding DOM, I think you had the wrong weekend (9th vs 10th)?  

I prefer looking at weekly multis, in this case I’ll just take the last 7 days. TJB made 3.22, added 8.09, 3.51 multi.     

Aladdin would need to add 17.83 off a 5.85 week, 4.05x multi or about 25% weekly drops. Quite possible with the way things have gone and the way August looks imo.

Edited by Thanos Legion

14 minutes ago, NYer4Life said:

Congrats to Aladdin $1 billion!

Well deserved. Out of the 3 Disney releases this summer Aladdin takes it as the best.

Over 2 months later and I’m still listening to Speechless.

The Shay cries like a lil bitch EVERY time when this plays in cinema (10 viewings and counting).

Guy Ritchie should be making mainly musicals from now on!!

1 hour ago, shayhiri said:

The Shay cries like a lil bitch EVERY time when this plays in cinema (10 viewings and counting).

Guy Ritchie should be making mainly musicals from now on!!

If it's the music you love, Pasek and Paul get the praise for Speechless. They did the songs for La La Land, The Greatest Showman, and Dear Evan Hansen.

I do adore the movie as a whole though.