grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

22 hours ago, Ororo Munroe said:

It is. I look forward to seeing what Menken and LMM can come up with for TLM. Given the talent involved, I'd hope they can at least match Speechless, if not produce something even better. 

Speechless was ok. How far I'll go is way better then Speechless so the TLM new songs should be much better then speechless.

• Knock It Off 2

29 minutes ago, superheavysun said:

Speechless was ok. How far I'll go is way better then Speechless so the TLM new songs should be much better then speechless.

I don't disagree. My expectations are high for TLM. Matching Speechless is just on the low end of those expectations. Anything less would be a disappointment but I definitely Menken and LMM can and should probably produce something that really stands above the rest. 

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

On 7/31/2019 at 1:16 PM, Noctis said:

Speechless is still easily the best song in any of the live-action films.

Naomi scott has an absolutely amazing voice. Her singing is out of this world

Edited by Geo1500
  • Like 2

Aladdin finished in the top 10 for the 11th weekend in a row. There's been a few movies in recent years that have achieved that (Black Panther, Jumanji), but doing it over the busy summer period is extra difficult. I'd have to dig through BOM to find the last film to do so, but it's likely been a while. 

The streak will likely end this weekend with five new releases coming out. Its still amazing that this film did so well for Disney when they had two other properties that had such overlapping demographics in TLK and TS4. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vafrow said:

Aladdin finished in the top 10 for the 11th weekend in a row. There's been a few movies in recent years that have achieved that (Black Panther, Jumanji), but doing it over the busy summer period is extra difficult. I'd have to dig through BOM to find the last film to do so, but it's likely been a while. 

The streak will likely end this weekend with five new releases coming out. Its still amazing that this film did so well for Disney when they had two other properties that had such overlapping demographics in TLK and TS4. 

11 or better this decade:  

16 Frozen 

13 BP 

13 Zootopia 

13 La La Land 

11 BatB

11 Jumanji

11 King’s Speech 

11 Hidden Figures

11 The Greatest Showman

11 Inception

11 Spider-Man Homecoming    

Only other ones from summer are SMH and inception.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

When SYFY WIRE asked Dan Lin about making a sequel, possibly a remake of original direct-to-video follow-up Aladdin: The Return of Jafar, he was optimistic.

"We’d love to," the producer says. "People clearly loved the movie and watched it multiple times and we get lots of fan letters and people asking us to make Return [of] Jafar, and I can just tell you that we’re in early stages right now, but we’re certainly talking about another movie."

"The audience response has really touched us in thinking about where we can go with these stories," he adds, "and we feel like these characters have more adventures in store."

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/aladdin-sequel-early-stages-disney

Aladdin producer Dan Lin about the potential of a second Aladdin movie:

"If I told you the fans would go crazy. It's just too early for me to reveal. But just know that we're looking at a lot of different source material and it's not going to be based on one singular source, but we're going to take the best of everything that's been done before and create something fresh and new."

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2478016/disneys-possible-aladdin-sequel-will-be-fresh-and-new

Edited by Royce
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why would you want to remake an aggressively mediocre DTV sequel whose plot is already stretched paper thin? At least with the original you had actually good material to draw from.

If you’re gonna redo anything, do The King of Thieves instead.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

It seems pretty clear that any sequels will be more original script than direct adaptation, drawing from a mix of RoJ, KoT, and the TV series. That’s the best approach imo, and could even lead to some good reviews (not that it needs them, clearly).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Because the live-action remake of the sequel (or the sequel of the live-action remake) will go to Disney+.

Why would you want to put the sequel to a very well received billion dollar grosser on Disney+ after you had to pay Will Smith for it?

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

If they’re doing a sequel, I’d have to assume that Jafar would factor into the plot in some way. With that said, it would take a special kind of laziness to just remake The Return of Jafar, seeing as how that was a ridiculously cheap direct to video movie that was conceived as a backdoor pilot for a low budget TV series. Then again, outside of Iago’s redemption and the character of Abis Mal, Jafar coming back was basically all there was to The Return of Jafar anyway, so if Jafar does come back in the next movie, they might as well give it that same title. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, john2000 said:

then you hadnt pay attention it made almost 10 million from os alone last week

Maybe it won't stop a 1,035B, but last weekend Aladdin made 2.8M according to Deadline's Nancy Tartaglione, and this weekend report doesn't even mention Aladdin, and the movie reported as the smallest bo weekend is one with 900k ... so Aladdin should have come below that.  

In fact, last weekend Deadline reported an OS total for Aladdin of 682.5M, but today at BOM you can see it's at 682.2M. Also, domestically, last weekend dropped 62.3%, and this weekend dropped almost 60% (and at BOM it isn't even shown in the daily numbers calendar). 

So considering this we Aladdin made those 900k the smallest movie Deadline reported, it's declined a 68% from last weekend. And with same 60% decline domestically ... I don't expect Aladdin to add much  more to those current 1,035 B

Maybe within some weeks BOM will make a final addition to give final actual numbers, and add up some 4 or 5M extra, but I'd say it's pretty done everywhere.