grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

I just watched this for the first time, not being interested too much after having seen the trailer...it was good, it was really good. Just as good as the new Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King even.

The whole box office thing surprises me though.

Seeing as The Jungle Book made over $900 million, Beauty and the Beast over $1.2 billion and that the original Aladdin was hugely popular like the original Beauty and the Beast (but more successful) I always figured $1 billion was very likely.

Seeing the prediction on Box Office Pro and the predictions here I always found to be strangely low. Now in most people's mind it's gone on to far to exceed expectations but I figured it was probably good for $400 million domestic.

You had these three beloved Disney movies, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King, two of which have made over $500 million and then one drastically less and I find that strange but other people clearly expected it to make far less than it actually has. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Ok. Cool. Still cringe whenever I see stuff like "Woke Disney." 

I’m not a fan of the word “woke” myself, but her underlying argument is that Disney’s attempts at being seen as progressive are disingenuous and lazy, and that they refuse to acknowledge the more problematic aspects of their past films, such as the racism in the original Dumbo, in favor of on the nose girl power messages (Lindsay Ellis is a feminist, just so you know). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m not a fan of the word “woke” myself, but her underlying argument is that Disney’s attempts at being seen as progressive are disingenuous and lazy, and that they refuse to acknowledge the more problematic aspects of their past films, such as the racism in the original Dumbo, in favor of on the nose girl power messages (Lindsay Ellis is a feminist, just so you know). 

I'm wondering if all the other breadtubers will make a "woke ----" video that focuses on companies that lazily pay lip service to progressive ideas as some kind of facade. I know that Hbomberguy made one called "woke brands".

40 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Thanks for the summary, now I'm really glad I didn't watch. Lindsay sounds like your typical white woman feminist, many of whom are disingenuous themselves. Disney is a business... of course they are attempting to cash in on the "woke"/ progressive movement. I don't think anyone really thinks they are doing this out of their goodness of their hearts. But to say that wanting to be seen as more progressive is lazy or disingenuous is, in itself, lazy and disingenuous. Lindsay sounds like those people who just don't want to come and say they hate racebending, for example. Lol 

Edited by Ororo Munroe
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Thanks for the summary, now I'm really glad I didn't watch. Lindsay sounds like your typical white woman feminist, many of whom are disingenuous themselves. Disney is a business... of course they are attempting to cash in on the "woke"/ progressive movement. I don't think anyone really thinks they are doing this out of their goodness of their hearts. But to say that wanting to be seen as more progressive is lazy or disingenuous is, in itself, lazy and disingenuous. Lindsay sounds like those people who just don't want to come and say they hate racebending, for example. Lol 

Her point wasn’t that a corporation trying to make their work more progressive is a bad thing. Her point was that Disney mostly only pays lip service to the idea, without doing any of the necessary leg work. In other words, Disney will try to defend themselves from criticism by trying to make their female characters seem more empowering and making fun of some of their old cliches, but they’re not willing to acknowledge the more uncomfortable aspects of their past films, such as their racism or their glorifications of absolute monarchies. 

If she were your typical white woman feminist, she would probably be more likely to applaud Disney for their surface level attempts at being “progressive”. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Her point wasn’t that a corporation trying to make their work more progressive is a bad thing. Her point was that Disney mostly only pays lip service to the idea, without doing any of the necessary leg work. In other words, Disney will try to defend themselves from criticism by trying to make their female characters seem more empowering and making fun of some of their old cliches, but they’re not willing to acknowledge the more uncomfortable aspects of their past films, such as their racism or their glorifications of absolute monarchies. 

If she were your typical white woman feminist, she would probably be more likely to applaud Disney for their surface level attempts at being “progressive”. 

Nope. As a black woman and a feminist, I can tell you that my interactions with white women feminists are exactly as I've described. Sure, some of them are as you say but there are many more who start to get uncomfortable when white women are no longer the center of attention. 

Is acknowledging their more problematic past supposed to be more profound than making changes that reflect the world we live in today? And what does Lindsay want them to do, exactly? Send out a press release? Will she then be ok with said changes? As I said, this sounds like fake concern to mask what really bothers people like Lindsay. I've seen it enough to know. 

1 minute ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Nope. As a black woman and a feminist, I can tell you that my interactions with white women feminists are exactly as I've described. Sure, some of them are as you say but there are many more who start to get uncomfortable when white women are no longer the center of attention. 

Is acknowledging their more problematic past supposed to be more profound than making changes that reflect the world we live in today? And what does Lindsay want them to do, exactly? Send out a press release? Will she then be ok with said changes? As I said, this sounds like fake concern to mask what really bothers people like Lindsay. I've seen it enough to know. 

At no point in the video does she ever even imply that she wants white women to be the center of attention. She even criticizes the fact that Disney got a white person to direct their remake of Aladdin. 

What she suggested they do is to actually address these controversial topics, rather than simply pretending that they never existed to begin with. If you want to get a better idea of what she’s saying, you could simply watch the video. Even if you don’t like it, you’d at least know what her arguments are. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

At no point in the video does she ever even imply that she wants white women to be the center of attention. She even criticizes the fact that Disney got a white person to direct their remake of Aladdin. 

What she suggested they do is to actually address these controversial topics, rather than simply pretending that they never existed to begin with. If you want to get a better idea of what she’s saying, you could simply watch the video. Even if you don’t like it, you’d at least know what her arguments are. 

Why would she if she doesn't want anyone to know that is what really bothers her? 😂 I've heard all these talking points before...you aren't interacting with a novice here. I'm not interested in giving Lindsay any views. You enjoy though. 

13 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Why would she if she doesn't want anyone to know that is what really bothers her? 😂 I've heard all these talking points before...you aren't interacting with a novice here. I'm not interested in giving Lindsay any views. You enjoy though. 

The majority of Disney movies have white leads, including the Beauty and the Beast remake, where a white woman is the protagonist. By your logic, she’d give that movie a pass, but she doesn’t. Where are you even getting this idea that she wants white women to be the center of attention, especially when you’re obviously not even remotely familiar with her?

19 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The majority of Disney movies have white leads, including the Beauty and the Beast remake, where a white woman is the protagonist. By your logic, she’d give that movie a pass, but she doesn’t. Where are you even getting this idea that she wants white women to be the center of attention, especially when you’re obviously not even remotely familiar with her?

Don't worry, you won't understand anyway.

Here's the thing though, if you want Disney to acknowledge its racist or problematic past, fine...I certainly don't object. But the minute you start suggesting that wanting to be more inclusive or "woke" is somehow wrong or "lazy" the red flag goes up for me. Because guess what? You can think Disney is not doing enough and still acknowledge that what they are doing is good. To try to put a negative spin on portraying more empowering women characters or adding more diversity is pure silliness. There is no doubt in my mind that the people doing this have some other agenda in play, whether they are just Disney haters or dislike the "woke" movement...something else is driving this criticism. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

This is the left right now.

You re guilty of a thought you might have had.

Read Soljeyetsine, it lll explain ito you how Soviet Russia killed 30-40m ( give or take whos counting ?) of their own for a thought they might have had.

Read the trials that sent you to the Goulag (when people ended up eating each other, starved to death or being eaten by pigs or dogs, no biggie) for a

thought you might have had.

These thought trials NEVER NEVER NEVER end well.

You will see.

Ask Mao too.

Or the Red Khmers.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

14 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Don't worry, you won't understand anyway.

Here's the thing though, if you want Disney to acknowledge its racist or problematic past, fine...I certainly don't object. But the minute you start suggesting that wanting to be more inclusion or "woke" is somehow wrong or "lazy" the red flag goes up for me. Because guess what? You can think Disney is not doing enough and still acknowledge that what they are doing is good. To try to put a negative spin on portraying more empowering women characters or adding more diversity is pure silliness. There is no doubt in my mind that the people doing this have some other agenda in play, whether they are just Disney haters or dislike the "woke" movement...something else is driving this criticism. 

She actually did say that them identifying that there was some sort of problem in their work is a good start. She simply said that they’re doing it in a very cynical and focus tested sort of way. At no point did she ever say that diversity is a bad thing. In fact, she went out of her way to say that Disney could probably use more inclusion behind the scenes for their movies. Again, she criticized the fact that this movie has a white director.

Edited by WittyUsername

i don't get the part of the video where she wants the new dumbo to address the racist caricatures from the previous dumbo. like how would that even work in a way that isn't insanely awkward? don't like these new movies but it's not their job to critique the old ones.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

She actually did say that them identifying that there was some sort of problem in their work is a good start. She simply said that they’re doing it in a very cynical and focus tested sort of way. At no point did she ever say that diversity is a bad thing. In fact, she went out of her way to say that Disney could probably use more inclusion behind the scenes for their movies. Again, she criticized the fact that this movie has a white director.

Uh huh. And how does that make Disney different from most other big studios and businesses? They can all do better and more. Using their racist past to suggest that current efforts are lazy just sets off my bs radar.