grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

I was thinking this might do something in the $300-$325m range. I think I'm underestimating it. the original Aladdin adjusts to over $485m. and BATB did $500m when the original only adjusted to $420m. but not everyone loved BATB. is $400-$450m? a more reasonable prediction for this or is that too high?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

New Aldddin is really sexy, kind of wish they would have had him only wear the vest. would have been something to talk about for over sterilized Disney at least.

Edited by Kalo

1 hour ago, Kalo said:

I was thinking this might do something in the $300-$325m range. I think I'm underestimating it. the original Aladdin adjusts to over $485m. and BATB did $500m when the original only adjusted to $420m. but not everyone loved BATB. is $400-$450m? a more reasonable prediction for this or is that too high?

BATB aged very well for young generations... aladdin not so much

i think $ 300 - 350M for this is correct... i expect around $ 800M worldwide despite the quality, disney should be happy

15 hours ago, MikeQ said:

It's hard for me to make any kind of judgement on how I think the film looks in terms of quality based on this teaser, as it shows us virtually nothing. I'm going to have to wait for the next trailer.

It feels similar to the Beauty and the Beast teaser, in that if Aladdin is a childhood classic for you, the music will give you 'the feels' similar to the musical tease in the Beast teaser. The difference is that I think Beauty and the Beast is more of a classic (or, perhaps more accurately, its music is more iconic), so I don't think this teaser will inspire the same levels of nostalgia/magical feelings in the same way that Beast teaser did, on average. I could be wrong - I only say this as someone who grew up in the 90s Disney Renaissance for animation.

(Additionally, the fact that Beauty and the Beast was the first animated film ever to be nominated for the Best Picture Oscar suggests to me its rather special position in history. Only two other animated films have ever been nominated for the Best Picture Oscar - Up (2009) and Toy Story 3 (2010) - and those were both in the first two years of the nominee expansion when there were actually 10 nominees and members wrote in 10 nominees when voting, unlike since then and currently where members write down 5 nominees and somewhere between 5 and 10 films are nominated. So Beauty and the Beast was it seems a pretty special animated film for its time. Anyhow, I'm getting off topic.)

And yet, Aladdin was the one to get (a pretty good) animated series, half a dozen games in the 90's, and a number of DTV sequels much before BatB.  It was only after the Disney Princess franchise became a thing in the early 00's that Belle and BatB started receiving more focus than Aladdin. Though I think 9/11 and subsequent events also contributed to Disney not pushing Aladdin in the 00's as much as they did in the 90's.

Emma Watson as Belle was a casting coup for the live action BatB remake though, moreso than Big Will as Genie. And like Wonder Woman, things aligned for it in a post-Trump atmosphere. But Aladdin will still be the biggest scale on which Hollywood offers (mostly) non-whitewashed representation to Muslims and Arabs yet, so that should be exciting.

• Like 1

Saw the teaser watching the Eagles and Giants last night.  Very Nostalgic Tone.  Bittersweet with Robin passing but hopefully Will does a good job.  Guy Ritchie can be hit or miss at times but he's working with a great source material.  That trailer brought me back to 1992.  I think this is gonna work ala "The Jungle Book" and "Beauty and the Beast".  Nostalgia Bump incoming.  "Lion King" is also going to do well this summer too.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

BATB aged very well for young generations... aladdin not so much

Says who? Pretty sure 'A Whole New World' was the most performed Disney song on American Idol. And Disney kind of made a deliberate decision to push BatB over Aladdin when it came to 3D re-release, earlier Platinum and Diamond editions etc. I guess BatB may be more popular than Aladdin among some young women because Belle was the titular lead while Jasmine was a love interest, but Jasmine is a pretty popular Disney Princess too.*

*Though it never occurred to me until it was pointed out that she is the ONLY female character in the movie with more than a single speaking line.

• Like 1

Why does Aladdin look like he's a motion captured CGI-Character?

The music didn't connect for me in this teaser and this is the year, where Disney will pay for being too greedy. 

Whoever thought it would be a great Idea to open 2 of Disneys most beloved treasures within a couple of months and in between Toy Story 4 should just get fired. 

They got punished for milking the SW-Franchise and it will happen with the Remakes as well. 

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 2

My only issue, and I get that it's a nitpick, but Aladdin's clothing is way too clean. He looks like he's wearing a costume, like he's not an actual street urchin from centuries ago who should be wearing well-worn, tattered clothing. Disney's sterilization evidently filters down to the costumes as well. 

Edited by tonytr87
  • Like 3

Just now, tonytr87 said:

My only issue, and I get that it's a nitpick, but Aladdin's clothing is way too clean. He looks like he's wearing a costume, like he's not an actual street urchin from centuries ago who should be wearing well-worn, tattered clothing. Disney's sterilization evidently filters down to the costumes as well. 

i felt that with some of the looks in beauty and the beast as well they look like the actors at disneyworld in these flicks.

• Like 1

Despite being the title character, Aladdin is ironically not the character people are waiting anxiously to see. The Genie reveal will be equivalent to the Beast reveal in BatB while Jasmine will be like revealing Belle in her dress. 

Are abu and the Iago in this one? I'm assuming that the bird was Iago. What about Abu though?

39 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i felt that with some of the looks in beauty and the beast as well they look like the actors at disneyworld in these flicks.

The opening scene of BatB in the village was Disneyland Shangai or Disneyland Paris ?

Couldn't really tell.

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Emma Watson as Belle was a casting coup for the live action BatB remake though, moreso than Big Will as Genie.

Definitely. A significant reason for the success of the original Aladdin was Robin Williams as Genie at the height of his fame. Disney used his voice in marketing everywhere, and issues with how they used him in advertising was the reason why he didn't return for the DTV sequel. I think Will Smith will have to have done something really special with Genie for this to capitalize fully at the box office, given Williams' original performance and how central it was to the original film.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ

As I said the teaser would have been great had it been released sometime this summer. But it seems like it missed its mark in terms of generating hype. Are people talking about it? Did it hit on a nerve? It feels like it went quietly into the night. It's just a first step of course but I think they should have done something like Captain Marvel and released some pics. I suppose that will happen before the next bigger teaser or trailer. I just hope they don't feel they have enough to wait until March to release something new. January seems appropriate.

On 10/13/2018 at 3:47 AM, jedijake said:

As I said the teaser would have been great had it been released sometime this summer. But it seems like it missed its mark in terms of generating hype. Are people talking about it? Did it hit on a nerve? It feels like it went quietly into the night.

13M views on YouTube in two days for a nothing teaser/trailer, there is plenty of hype worldwide for this (much more than for the Mary Poppins teaser).

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 2

I've said before that I think Disney's stupid to line up three of their potential juggernaut live action remakes in the same year (4 if you want to count Mary Poppins making at least half its money in 2019). But that commercial decision is going to have no effect on the quality of the movies themselves as they're made by completely different artistic teams. 

Do I think opening so close is going to hurt each of their (or at least one of them) box office potentials? Yes. Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast rode months and months of hype. Dumbo won't even be 2 months old when Aladdin releases, ditto for Aladdin with Lion King. 

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I've said before that I think Disney's stupid to line up three of their potential juggernaut live action remakes in the same year (4 if you want to count Mary Poppins making at least half its money in 2019). But that commercial decision is going to have no effect on the quality of the movies themselves as they're made by completely different artistic teams. 

Do I think opening so close is going to hurt each of their (or at least one of them) box office potentials? Yes. Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast rode months and months of hype. Dumbo won't even be 2 months old when Aladdin releases, ditto for Aladdin with Lion King. 

True, I feel like they could’ve spaced out things a lot more. 2019 in particular has not 2 but 3 live action remakes. I imagine 2020 will have The Little Mermaid and the already confirmed Maleficient sequel, while 2021 could have the recently announced Lilo and Stitch remake.