grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

I've seen two recurring complaints for this movie.  The first being the "Everything we've seen so far look horrible or cheap" complaint. Which I kind of agree but the movie could be decent. We're still months away. Beauty And The Beast, in spite of many saying it was inferior to the 1991 version, people complaining about Emma Watson's singing and an overall circle jerk and video essays on why it didn't do "justice" to the 1991 movie, still made almost 1.3B worldwide.

And two, there are still people who want it to fail because they're still salty about the cast of Aladdin, especially the leads because of a "whitewashing" complaint. Though not perfect, they did cast Arab actors and Arabs can be as pale as a ghost to dark brown in skin tone and have many different hair and eye colors and all that. Plus by American standards, (and several other countries in the West) Arabs are seen as "white", and many either look "white" or no different than a "white person who has tans a lot/has olive skin tone". So I don't get it.

Regardless, I'm still gonna watch opening weekend and this movie will more than likely be at the very least decent. I doubt it will be beating Beauty and the Beast or be seen as some "masterpiece" but it doesn't need to, I think it has a good shot at 1B+.

13 hours ago, Aurora said:

Beauty And The Beast, in spite of many saying it was inferior to the 1991 version, people complaining about Emma Watson's singing and an overall circle jerk and video essays on why it didn't do "justice" to the 1991 movie, still made almost 1.3B worldwide.

At least it looked spectacular from the trailers. The same can't be said for Aladdin unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, TheBigYawn said:

At least it looked spectacular from the trailers.

...did it though? People were complaining about everything from Watson's stilted acting to the sad monstrosities that were the anthropomorphic furniture and Beast's weird face. The only place where I can legitimately say it does better than the Aladdin first trailer is the use of music.

17 hours ago, Aurora said:

I've seen two recurring complaints for this movie.  The first being the "Everything we've seen so far look horrible or cheap" complaint. Which I kind of agree but the movie could be decent. We're still months away. Beauty And The Beast, in spite of many saying it was inferior to the 1991 version, people complaining about Emma Watson's singing and an overall circle jerk and video essays on why it didn't do "justice" to the 1991 movie, still made almost 1.3B worldwide.

And two, there are still people who want it to fail because they're still salty about the cast of Aladdin, especially the leads because of a "whitewashing" complaint. Though not perfect, they did cast Arab actors and Arabs can be as pale as a ghost to dark brown in skin tone and have many different hair and eye colors and all that. Plus by American standards, (and several other countries in the West) Arabs are seen as "white", and many either look "white" or no different than a "white person who has tans a lot/has olive skin tone". So I don't get it.

Regardless, I'm still gonna watch opening weekend and this movie will more than likely be at the very least decent. I doubt it will be beating Beauty and the Beast or be seen as some "masterpiece" but it doesn't need to, I think it has a good shot at 1B+.

Well, they didn’t cast an Arab actress to play Jasmine, but then again, given the general attitude that Americans have towards Middle Eastern people, it’s somewhat impressive that they even bothered to cast an Arab actor as the title character. 

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

...did it though? People were complaining about everything from Watson's stilted acting to the sad monstrosities that were the anthropomorphic furniture and Beast's weird face. The only place where I can legitimately say it does better than the Aladdin first trailer is the use of music.

I am sorry, but the Aladin trailer/first look does not even get close to this...

and yes, part of it is the music, but the whole production gives a much higher quality impression in that trailer. Coming back to the music... it is fascinating that so little has been shown of it up until now. The first proper trailer is going to be interesting.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 2:43 PM, Valonqar said:

I hope this defies naysayers and is a huge hit even if it's bad. The memes that it gave us are worth rooting for it. 

Those memes have nothing positive about them.

It s all  mockery.

Not sure this is good.

31 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Those memes have nothing positive about them.

It s all  mockery.

Not sure this is good.

Venom and "Damaged" forehead tattooed Joker were plenty mocked too. Didn't stop those two films from making a killing at the BO (and Suicide Squad didn't even have China).

Beauty & The Beast looked like garbage, but the kind of garbage that people go in droves to see (ie; Bohemian Rhapsody)

Aladdin looks like garbage, but the kind of garbage that crashes and burns financially (Gods of Egypt, Prince of Persia), hell the only reason this is gonna do slightly better than those . is because of the Disney remake branding and nostalgia.

• Knock It Off 1

50 minutes ago, chuck0 said:

I am sorry, but the Aladin trailer/first look does not even get close to this...

and yes, part of it is the music, but the whole production gives a much higher quality impression in that trailer. Coming back to the music... it is fascinating that so little has been shown of it up until now. The first proper trailer is going to be interesting.

I don't see much difference. Both are on the gaudier side, with a darker and duller tint for their night scenes than their respective animated movies. The glimpses of Gaston and the town scenes at the end of the BatB trailer look a little better but then again it is more than a minute longer than the Aladdin trailer. 

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Beauty & The Beast looked like garbage, but the kind of garbage that people go in droves to see (ie; Bohemian Rhapsody)

Aladdin looks like garbage, but the kind of garbage that crashes and burns financially (Gods of Egypt, Prince of Persia), hell the only reason this is gonna do slightly better than those . is because of the Disney remake branding and nostalgia.

BatB majorly made money because the fangirls and boys rushed to watch the actress who played one geeky heroine play another one from their childhood memories. It also released in a perfect time about 4 months after the disillusionment of Elections 2016, where people were really in need of more empowered heroines, and Belle was one they were always familiar with.

I still can't believe that tripe passed 500M domestically lmao

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

BatB majorly made money because the fangirls and boys rushed to watch the actress who played one geeky heroine play another one from their childhood memories. It also released in a perfect time about 4 months after the disillusionment of Elections 2016, where people were really in need of more empowered heroines, and Belle was one they were always familiar with.

I still can't believe that tripe passed 500M domestically lmao

Only a matter of time before Daniel Radcliffe Wolverine does a billie...

• Haha 1

This movie is Venom all over again.

Bad trailers, complains online, a LOT of memes and people predicting a bomb because of that... it doesn’t happen.

Like Venom, this will pass $ 200M (nothing WOW but far from flop) and do big numbers overseas.

$ 750 - 800M WW for this is good, Disney will not complain.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

Venom and "Damaged" forehead tattooed Joker were plenty mocked too. Didn't stop those two films from making a killing at the BO (and Suicide Squad didn't even have China).

Nah, those memes laughed with the movie somewhat.

The Aladdin memes laugh at the movie definitely.

39 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

This movie is Venom all over again.

Bad trailers, complains online, a LOT of memes and people predicting a bomb because of that... it doesn’t happen.

Like Venom, this will pass $ 200M (nothing WOW but far from flop) and do big numbers overseas.

$ 750 - 800M WW for this is good, Disney will not complain.

Difference is Venom's trailer views were the real deal. Despite the complaints, there was a lot of interest. I don't get the same sense with Aladdin.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

Difference is Venom's trailer views were the real deal. Despite the complaints, there was a lot of interest. I don't get the same sense with Aladdin.

Aladdin don't have a real trailer, so... The teaser actually have great numbers, and the TV spot made almost 20M on 24 hours just on american disney pages [FB / TT / YT], the interest exists.

Look, i'm not saying Aladdin will do the exactly same amount Venom did, i just sayin we have another recent example of a movie that people mocking for months and despite of that, the movie was a success [especially OS].

Venom blew up in trailer views and had 1.3 MILLION likes, the only other films to do that were Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame, Captain Marvel, and Detective Pikachu.

Aladdin on the other hand, in every upload of the special look that features Will Smith’s Genie, was dislike bombed and the dislikes shockingly outnumbered the likes by landslides.

Dont get me wrong, this will never flop/bomb but with the bad buzz and amount of competition it has, it will be an uphill battle to get past $700M. I’m not betting on $1B.

• Like 1