grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

So when they don't work, like Solo, the media says it's a failure. I think it was a pretty good movie. It didn't resonate as much as we'd hoped it would, but the press writes it up in a more negative way than I would. These are very high-profile movies. If Aladdin, which I happen to think is a terrific film, doesn't work somehow, that's big news and much bigger news than if a movie somewhere else, like The Kid Who Would Be King [at Fox,] doesn't work.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/alan-horn-talks-disney-fox-merger-streaming-pixar-post-john-lasseter-1187054

Are they writing this off already? Lmao.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

It is kind of concerning he singled out Aladdin without being asked. I guess they really expected the genie reveal to be better received than it actually was. 

Yeah that was very odd and very candid of him to say that "hypothetical" about Aladdin.

6 hours ago, jedijake said:

I actually thought Solo was a good, solid movie, Nutcracker was definitely decent enough story and movie, and I actually enjoyed POTC5 quite a bit and would even say it was the best POTC film since the first one. Perhaps then I will probably enjoy Aladdin?

You're right on all accounts. And of course you will enjoy Aladdin.

But not because you are smarter and more rational and less racist than the hordes of naysayers, that have seen literally NOTHING of the movie, and yet are quick to hate it with outright lies.

Yes, they are dumb and pathetic - but they will actually enjoy the movie too. Because it's just gonna be a damn good movie. :)

And this forum will become a graveyard of disgusting racist anti-Aladdin clubs, that have failed miserably just like their shortsighted and perception-challenged creators...

Just like Alita is crushing the blind haters now. :)

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

But not because you are smarter and more rational and less racist than the hordes of naysayers

You're defending a movie that used brown-face on extras, but sure - we're racist for not being down for an Aladdin remake ft. fat Avatar. 

22 minutes ago, TMP said:

You're defending a movie that used brown-face on extras, but sure - we're racist for not being down for an Aladdin remake ft. fat Avatar. 

None of this matters. Are you American? Then yes - odds are you are racist and hate everything Arab. OR - which is just as bad - you do not care, and passively also hate any period or place of human culture that is different than the here and now of the disgusting current American metropolises.

In your last post you lined up Prince of Persia, Gods of Egypt and Aladdin - meaning that all of them suck and will bomb. Nothing can be more telling of the general American disposition.

And the only sin of all these innocent movies - is that they are Middle Eastern period pieces. How dare they!! Burn them down with flaming hate and spit on their remains!!

And don't try to further argue this is not the case - because I will ask you to say a single title of a similar period piece that escaped this fate - and you will fail to provide one!

PS: GoE is indeed a strange movie - but still very much a decent one, at least for originality. PoP is absolute adventure classic, better than anything besides PotC - but it still couldn't fight a continent of xenophobes on its own. Aladdin though will be just as good - and this time will have the backing of nostalgia, that is the only (insipid) force that can move a xenophobe. So it can not fail, despite all the odds against it that the Shay highlighted for all of you above.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

Aladdin will serve its purpose. That is to relive the original in a live action way. And the truth is that most who will go see it and make up a majority of its viewers are NOT the ones scouring the internet looking for negative press. It will end up being mostly female audiences and those who were teenagers in the early 90's don't care about the people spewing negativity. Young girls who have loved princesses (which have made up the 2nd biggest toy market after Star Wars) don't know anything of the twitter feeds about Aladdin and don't care. 

To be fair (or maybe it's not so fair), a large portion of Star Wars, Marvel, and DC viewers DO run around the internet looking at what other thing of the movies. Not necessarily saying it's a majority but a larger portion than would for Aladdin tbqh.

But DAMN for the fact they haven't released a FULL trailer for Aladdin yet. 

6 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

None of this matters. Are you American? Then yes - odds are you are racist and hate everything Arab. OR - which is just as bad - you do not care, and passively also hate any period or place of human culture that is different than the here and now of the disgusting current American metropolises.

In your last post you lined up Prince of Persia, Gods of Egypt and Aladdin - meaning that all of them suck and will bomb. Nothing can be more telling of the general American disposition.

And the only sin of all these innocent movies - is that they are Middle Eastern period pieces. How dare they!! Burn them down with flaming hate and spit on their remains!!

And don't try to further argue this is not the case - because I will ask you to tell a single title of a similar period piece that escaped this fate - and you. will. fail!

PS: GoE is indeed a strange movie - but still very much a decent one, at least for originality. PoP is absolute adventure classic, better than anything besides PotC - but it still couldn't fight a continent of xenophobes. Aladdin though will be just as good - and this time will have the backing of nostalgia, the only insipid force that moves the xenophobes. So it can not fail, despite all the odds against it that the Shay highlighted for all of you above.

I'm a Muslim who lived in the middle east for most of his life, so your weird spiel about me being some American xenophobe rings a little thin. Funny how you don't mention the insanely white-washed cast that both PoP & GoE had, or that Jasmine isn't even being played by an actress of middle eastern descent in this, so to imply that my distaste of hacky, cheap-looking corporate drivel that cashes in on Middle Eastern iconography (occasionally) makes me a xenophobe, then I think you're reaching.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TMP said:

I'm a Muslim who lived in the middle east for most of his life, so your weird spiel about me being some American xenophobe rings a little thin. Funny how you don't mention the insanely white-washed cast that both PoP & GoE had, or that Jasmine isn't even being played by an actress of middle eastern descent in this, so to imply that my distaste of hacky, cheap-looking corporate drivel that cashes in on Middle Eastern iconography (occasionally) makes me a xenophobe, then I think you're reaching.

OK, then you specifically may be not the purest example of what I am talking about. But it is still 100% true - and there are hundreds of people like this even here. I never talked of you specifically (we've never talked before and I don't know you - though I knew you've lived in an Arab country), but of the general American public.

However - and thanks for that :) - you seem to be a pure-bred example of the other clique these poor movies have to fight: the Middle Eastern cine-purists. :)

My short stance on this is:

1. Any filmmaker can do whatever he wants, that is good for his product - and no one can tell him what to do.

2. The worst thing about Aladdin is they employed no name "ethnic actors".

3. This is exactly the main reason for all the hate we have - and will have - against Aladdin. Americans just do not want to watch different people in their movies.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

IF Aladdin underperforms (cause again I think OS will save it), a domestic underperformance looks likely due to very heavy competition and lackluster marketing not racism as Aladdin is a beloved Disney classic.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jedijake said:

those who were teenagers in the early 90's don't care about the people spewing negativity.

Some if not most of the 90s kids are the ones ripping on this.

2 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

When are we ever going to see a trailer for this smh 

Probably around Captain Marvel is my guess as I suspect we’ll get Endgame a little later and since we know Frozen 2 will be an attachment, and Disney likely focusing Dumbo with Toy Story 4 and The Lion King, Disney will attach it as a sort of last hope.