grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

5 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Mulan and The Nutcracker and The Four Realms are dated on Nov 2 2018, but one of them will obviously move. And it might be Mulan, since The Nutcracker has already been casted (Keira Knightley, Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren) and has promotional images, while Mulan doesn't even have an official cast. 

Mulan was already shown to be moved to 2019 at D23 I believe.

10 hours ago, John Marston said:

the live action remake thing won't last forever. Once Aladdin and Lion King and after Mulan I guess (which should do really well in China) what other properties are there they can remake and make big numbers? Can't think of many

Maybe some sequels to these films?

• Like 1

Kinda hoping we don't get 3 of these live action remakes in one year. Disney, you got something good going, don't blow your load too early.

Honestly, if we start getting to the point where 2-3+ of these are coming out per year, a) they're going to run out of things to remake pretty fast or b ) people are just going to get tired of them eventually. Keep them at 1 per year if you ask me, maybe 2 if they're really desperate. They should have Dumbo and Lion King in 2019 IMO (one "smaller" scale and one absolutely massive juggernaut), put Aladdin in 2020 and Mulan in 2021

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I agree that the remake thing won't last forever. Maybe 5 years max I would say. Since then there may not be enough things to remake...

Tangled, Frozen, Inside Out, Coco ...

And yes, they can do spin offs on characters set in the world on one of those films.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Aladdin only 320? TJB made 365M and Aladdin is much beloved imo. Don't see it less than 400M, but I keep thinking 500M will be the floor for Aladdin (as it is for BATB and will be for Lion King). Anything below 500sM for Aladdin and TLK will mean a bit of a disappointment for me. 

I think 400m is the floor for both Aladdin and TLK. Beauty and the Beast had the advantage of being the first of the "big guns" to be released, next time the "it's just the same movie" talk will only get louder, even amongst the general audience. I don't think The Lion King will make more than BATB and Aladdin just because the original is so much bigger. In fact I think it's the one of the three that has the most potential to be terrible, so that might limit its BO. But it's doing 400m even with bad reception. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, seduh said:

I don't think it`s a good idea to release Aladdin less than 2 month before than The Lion King. They need more space, why not to release Aladdin in 2020?

The problem there would be that Toy Story 4 is in between Aladdin may 24th, and The Lion King july 19th. The two month gap between Aladdin and The Lion King are more than enough for Aladdin to squeeze the maximum boxoffice it can before The Lion King kills it definitively.  

May be moving Toy Story to may 24th and Aladdin to 2020 would be wise. But i keep thinking that Disney's real intention is to really BLAST box office numbers in 2019 (6 movies over $400M domestic, 6 movies over $1B worldwide, $4B+ domestic year, "howmanyever" billions they can get worldwide ...) and set a number of records no other studio can equal in decades. That's my opinion. 

Also to have in consideration, Disney's streaming platform will launch (for movies and tv shows) in late 2019 ... so what a better launching than having all these six huge-blockbusters-monsters to catch the audience along 2020?

• Like 1

I think Disney should release 2 live actions per year (only 1 will be good but they are not going to do it), so let's say every year they do one with big potential (+300M) and another which isn't that big. So let's say Dumbo and The Lion King for 2019, Mulan and Aladdin for 2020 and so on. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cochofles said:

Hercules and The Hunchback of Notre Dame  may not have been as big as TLM, BATB, TLK, and Aladdin , but I seriously feel that Disney could have huge live-action blockbusters made from those.  

Hunchback is the second best Disney film of the '90s. Just a glorious film. 

Except the gargoyles. Fuck the gargoyles.

If we get a Hunchback remake I hope they do something better with the humor. I rewatched it recently and found it pretty jarring and unenjoyable.

I'm not even worried about the dark tone, Jungle Book wasn't 100% happy go lucky. The climax was pretty intense. 

1 hour ago, Warmaster506 said:

Disney is trying to crush all records in 2019.  They want those number so they can continue to thumb their arrogant noses. 

Can't wait for Cameron to humble them. 

Because the Avatar series hurts them even though Disney has a theme park section based on Avatar?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1