grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

35 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

This movie getting hit hard with the CURSED Memorial day weekend release date.

The release date has killed Prince of Persia, Tommorowland, Pirates, Baywatch, X-men Apocalypse, and Solo.

Damn....Only one of these films got a sequel.

Imagine if Episode 9 stayed in its original planned Memorial day 2019 date......:ph34r: 

IMO this should take TLK's current slot, TLK should take Episode 9's current slot, and Episode 9 takes the otherwise usual Marvel May start slot in 2020. 

GOTG3 is having too much drama to make that date and the next MCU film we've heard the most about (Black Widow) is not the May opener kind of movie. Even Winter Soldier's early April date seems better suited for BW, if it's made in time. I dunno if Ep. 9 can make Christmas 2019 either. 

I'm also super annoyed that currently this and TLK are less than 2 months apart, so July and December respectively are much more preferable.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 6

45 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

I'm also super annoyed that currently this and TLK are less than 2 months apart, so July and December respectively are much more preferable.

I'm trying to figure out why this is a problem (Aladdin opening May 24 and The Lion King July 19). By the time The Lion King opens, Aladdin will be on its 9th weekend. Even the highest opening grosser of all time, Infinity War, only made $2.6 million on its 9th weekend. Aladdin will be making relative pennies by the time The Lion King opens, and either way, the two films together make for the most perfect double feature in July. Just my two cents.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

I'm trying to figure out why this is a problem (Aladdin opening May 24 and The Lion King July 19). By the time The Lion King opens, Aladdin will be on its 9th weekend. Even the highest opening grosser of all time, Infinity War, only made $2.6 million on its 9th weekend. Aladdin will be making relative pennies by the time The Lion King opens, and either way, the two films together make for the most perfect double feature in July. Just my two cents.

Peace,

Mike

After the amount of money the BatB live action made, it's just jarring to me that the remakes of the only two Renaissance films that were bigger than the original BatB are placed so close to each other. You'd think Disney would want to position those two as major "events" in two different years or at least space them further apart.

Can't wait for Frozen 3 in November 2022, Tangled live action remake in May 2023 and Frozen live action remake in July 2023.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

After the amount of money the BatB live action made, it's just jarring to me that the remakes of the only two Renaissance films that were bigger than the original BatB are placed so close to each other. You'd think Disney would want to position those two as major "events" in two different years or at least space them further apart.

That's true, I get what you're saying. I think it will work out well in the summer months, since the market expands during this period (especially by the time July rolls around and basically all schools in Canada and the US are out). 

Disney seemingly has so many tentpoles (or blockbusters that are potential tentpoles) nowadays throughout the year, ever year, as the studio is so dominant. I would find it hard to put my own schedule of their films together in a way that feels totally satisfactory, given their multiple brands/franchises and animated powerhouses. (From a totally subjective point of view, both Aladdin and The Lion King feel like summer films to me, given the warm/tropical settings and feel of the movies.) And if I were to overestimate the appeal of one of their tentpoles (say Aladdin - it is arguably not as beloved as Beauty and the Beast, for example) and under-estimate the appeal of another of their tentpoles, I may create a less than ideal schedule anyway. *shrug*

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I told you guys months ago the footage looks awful, the cast is shitty, the set design and costume design is poor and it is shot like a really bad Richie movie.  It is going to bomb very very hard.  

Most likely.  

Ron Howard to the rescue...:sparta:

This is what happens when you fast track live action remakes of your top classic animated features all at once...

7 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I told you guys months ago the footage looks awful, the cast is shitty, the set design and costume design is poor and it is shot like a really bad Richie movie.  It is going to bomb very very hard.  

Most likely.  

There's a good Guy Richie movie? :thinking:

;)

@Hades

Ron Howard to the rescue

Say goodbye to $400M WW. :Venom:

Edited by Valonqar

12 hours ago, Hades said:

Ron Howard to the rescue...:sparta:

This is what happens when you fast track live action remakes of your top classic animated features all at once...

And I still don't get who at Disney thought that Ritchie was a good choice for this material..particularly after his King Arthur bombed so badly.

Edited by dudalb

17 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Except those movies weren't ALADDIN

I could give you long list of remakes of very successful films that flopped at the box office. Anything can flop if not made right. A name is not a magic seal guaranteeing success. We just had a sure fire, can't miss film called "Solo" bomb badly.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

I could give you long list of remakes of very successful films that flopped at the box office. Anything can flop if not made right. A name is not a magic seal guaranteeing success. We just had a sure fire, can't miss film called "Solo" bomb badly.

Alladin has a pre-made story though.

I good song and its a smash.

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

Yeah, but Disney's also done well with Beauty and the Beast, The Jungle Book, and Cinderella. It's quite possible Aladdin will perform similarly to one of those three. Plus, I remember seeing on here and over the net that Beauty and the Beast was a bad remake, but that still made 500 million domestic and over a billion worldwide. You're right in that it may fail, but it has a higher chance of being a success.

Not to mention Lion King.

13 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Yeah, but Disney's also done well with Beauty and the Beast, The Jungle Book, and Cinderella. It's quite possible Aladdin will perform similarly to one of those three. Plus, I remember seeing on here and over the net that Beauty and the Beast was a bad remake, but that still made 500 million domestic and over a billion worldwide. You're right in that it may fail, but it has a higher chance of being a success.

Not to mention Lion King.

BATB was bad but it was so bad it didn't even have what it took to be aggressively bad. It was bland bad, gutless bad. It looked like it hit all the beats safely even if lifelessly. The kind of bad that the GA would consider bad here is in looking somehow off-puttingly strange, which can happen for sure. 

• Like 1