grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

16 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Every studio is a giant Corporation. Universal/Illumination, Disney/Fox/Marvel/Pixar/Lucasfilm, Warner, Sony, Paramount all of them. They're just different shades. But the fact is, not everyone cares about this fact.

And people don't tend to be fan of them.

But I get it, I am quite fund of Costco business model and other company that I both fan off of their business model or history and invested in financially.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I still find it wildly ironic how people are so easily willing to say this will flop

I am not sure how bad that movie would need to be to flop and considering Disney track record on those property (they are ready to scrap most of it and reshoot it if needed, there is that much value in this), that a very bold strategy.

Obviously with Alice 2, that show in some long shoot that it is possible, but it fell very unlikely, like @AJG said, who here will not watch it in the first 3 year's of release ?

17 hours ago, dudalb said:

I don't get people who are fans of the Disney Studio. It likes being a fan of Standard Oil, or Citibank,or any other gigantic corporation.

I don’t see why people care about box office if they’re not fans of a studio or studios. Box office doesnt measure quality of a film. It is only important to studios. I dont see how following box office can be fun without being a fan of a studio or studios.

If I misunderstood you, and you dont mean studios, but rather Disney in general, the answer is pretty simple: Disney wasnt the big dominant studio until a few years ago (around the time they bought Lucasfilm) so people were already Disney fans. No one is going to stop being a Disney fan just because they became successful and dominant. They make the movies that people want to see so it is hard not to be a Disney fan.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

I don’t see why people care about box office if they’re not fans of a studio or studios. Box office doesnt measure quality of a film. It is only important to studios. I dont see how following box office can be fun without being a fan of a studio or studios.

You can be fan of filmmakers, type of movies you want to see more of them made and with more ressource.

Box office inform the allocation of resource of the next slate you can be fan of the next slate being more X than Y, thus rooting for different box office result without involving studios in the equations. And that impact to the  future slate has impact to us audiences.

Must be more fun, if you are fan of studios and hate some studios, rooting more for a side.

I am not sure that people that follow tv rating, books or music sales would care has much if the album is Sony or from an other bunch even know the studio that produce the TV show.

While people that follow car sales, it must be all about the manufacturer....

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

If I misunderstood you, and you dont mean studios, but rather Disney in general, the answer is pretty simple: Disney wasnt the big dominant studio until a few years ago (around the time they bought Lucasfilm) so people were already Disney fans. No one is going to stop being a Disney fan just because they became successful and dominant. They make the movies that people want to see so it is hard not to be a Disney fan.

I think his point was being fan of any big corporation, whether dominant or not. Also it is very easy not to be disney fan. You just have to look past entertainment.

4 hours ago, Barnack said:

You can be fan of filmmakers, type of movies you want to see more of them made and with more ressource.

Box office inform the allocation of resource of the next slate you can be fan of the next slate being more X than Y, thus rooting for different box office result without involving studios in the equations. And that impact to the  future slate has impact to us audiences.

Must be more fun, if you are fan of studios and hate some studios, rooting more for a side.

I am not sure that people that follow tv rating, books or music sales would care has much if the album is Sony or from an other bunch even know the studio that produce the TV show.

While people that follow car sales, it must be all about the manufacturer....

I really don't follow car sales. I couldn't care less what the most popular car is. I know people who are really into cars, but none would post on a car sales forum. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Premium George said:

I think his point was being fan of any big corporation, whether dominant or not. Also it is very easy not to be disney fan. You just have to look past entertainment.

I was really speaking more to why people are Disney fans. I could think of many reason why people would not be Disney fans, and I think all those reasons are valid and perfectly acceptable.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hades said:

Can they do 40 Thieves for the potential sequel..... Return of Jafer was lame...This is the only live action remake stuff that has franchise potential.

Yes!! Or better yet make Prince of Persia 2 - with the Hashishin (Assassins)!! Nothing better under the sun!!

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 2

Important question: do Disney live action remakes re/use some of the animated original's soundtrack??

Because Aladdin has the best OST!! Would be good to hear it again - or very hard to top it with something new.

PS: I never cared to notice in the lesser remakes so far like Cinderella, B&B and JB.

• Like 1

Unrelated to this topic but had no idea where else to post since this film is not yet even announced officially. In any case,

https://www.thedailybeast.com/disneys-rumored-casting-of-zendaya-as-ariel-in-live-action-little-mermaid-sparks-racist-backlash?source=articles&via=rss&yptr=yahoo

To me this is a completely unsubstantiated rumor but one that has been perpetuated in order to force Disney to change the image of Ariel. I'd be fine if this happens, but it puts Disney in a bad position IF they actually want to cast someone who fits the classic familiar image of Ariel. And it also puts them in an awkward position for the whole Ariel marketing (Disney meet and greets, the ride, all of the merchandise that has already become interwoven in the culture surrounding Little Mermaid.)

If there is a better place to post this, please put it there and let me know where that is.

On 8/23/2018 at 11:02 AM, Arlborn said:

The worst case scenario for this movie is it feeling so generic that it doesn't even feel like a Guy Ritchie movie. 

I hope that doesn't happen.

Nah, worse case is that it's Guy Ritchie at his most gimmicky and messy.  I hope Disney has a strong producer/hand on him.

People worried about lens flares when JJ was announced for TFA. Lens flare this lens flare that. There was also a lot of shaky cam stuff in the pilot of LOST (which JJ had the most to do with). I'm sure/hoping that Guy has diverted away from his signature shaky stuff for Aladdin. Fine for action, not for a beloved musical. Don't think they would have hired him if he was going to keep to his signature style.

There's an aspect to this film which is highly critic-proof too. $300 million domestic should be minimum, but not sure about $400 million.

Edited by jedijake