grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

7 hours ago, Titan Man said:

I don't understand why Disney wanted him in the first place. His previous work is really not that great and he's had a few flops just before this movie. Giving him one of the company's most famous properties is questionable, at best.

If he could bring a genuinely different  style that holds the spirit of the source material (Sherlock Holmes), I get why they picked him.

& to me after Rocknrolla, it's been 90% downhill for him from there.

I think that to a degree, Aladdin will be somewhat critic-proof. With the trend of live action successes, there is almost a demand for the top classics to be remade by Disney fans. I don't think it will do BatB numbers but I can't see any way it will do under $300 million domestic.

I'm not surprised there's behind the scenes drama. The genie always seemed impossible to translate well to live action and there's a minefield of potential controversy with the 'appropriative'/'exploitative' parts of the story/setting in today's world. There are already grumblings that the actress isn't middle eastern but Indian.

6 minutes ago, Hunch said:

I'm not surprised there's behind the scenes drama. The genie always seemed impossible to translate well to live action and there's a minefield of potential controversy with the 'appropriative'/'exploitative' parts of the story/setting in today's world. There are already grumblings that the actress isn't middle eastern but Indian.

The Genie and musical has been successfully translated to live action on Broadway for several years.  On film it should be far easier. 

11 hours ago, Hunch said:

There doesn't seem to be any behind-the-scenes drama. The "drama" if any seems to be just with getting thing absolutely right. The cast and crew seem to have gotten along great. As far as the "controversy" of the ethnicity/nationality of Naomi Scott or anyone else for that matter, that seems to be the product of the times, unfortunately. Years ago nobody would give a flip.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, movieboner said:

I have a bad feeling this is going to flop. It comes out in 8 months and there is no word about production and Guy Ritchie directing doesn't sound promising.

These movies are flop proof. It may not be the biggest of live action adaptations but doubtful it flops. Families aren't exactly clamoring for quality entertainment.

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

These movies are flop proof. It may not be the biggest of live action adaptations but doubtful it flops. Families aren't exactly clamoring for quality entertainment.

Hopefully it will flop enough to make Disney rethink these cash grabs.

8 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Hopefully it will flop enough to make Disney rethink these cash grabs.

While I agree about cash grabs, I don't think this is the right movie to do so. Exotic location, popular songs, Will Smith.  It's gonna make enough money to justify more cash grabs. Maleficent 2  is a candidate, though, cause nobody asked for the sequel.  Possible AIW 2 numbers but that one didn't stop the cash grab train either. Maybe Dumbo if flying elephant looks like shit?

@PANDA True I already forgot about AIW2 but it seems Disney forgot about it too. :lol:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

And the MCU.

well, Solo flopped straight up, no way to spin it, after the lead in of one 2B grosser and two 1B grossers. MCU hasn't had an undeniable flop since Incredible Hulk in 2008 when they were just beginning to build the shared universe. So I'd say that MCU is legit more flop-proof than SW

Marvel's only "flops" which weren't really flops were movies headlined by lesser known heroes. Ant Man 2 rose past Ant Man 1. Nobody ever called Captain America and Thor's first movies flops even though they failed to break $200 million domestic.

Solo was a "flop" but nobody really felt the need to see it or have it be made.

At this point in Disney's live actions, people, especially Disney fans, are very curious to see how their favorite animated films look in live action. Aladdin will only "flop" if the negative press campaign that some are starting on the internet gains momentum and takes over.

The curiosity factor alone will help Aladdin to be a big success. If not making $500 million domestic is a flop then so be it. But even BatB made that number with mediocre RT scores.

Edited by jedijake

Beauty and the Beast had its teaser released 10 months prior to the movie. Everyone knew it was coming. In March we went to Disney World and when my daughter met Jasmine she told her how excited she was for her new movie next year. Jasmine was like "oh, a new movie?". A lot of people don't even know it's coming out where with BatB people knew at least a year prior. They need to market this one starting this fall for sure because once the Lion King marketing campaign starts (probably in January or February) that one is going to get all of the live action attention.