grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

22 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I think Dumbo will be a bigger movie than Aladdin.

One advantage Dumbo has is that it will be the first Disney Live Action out next year. Being the first one out counts alot.

if the elephant and the mouse are super adorable and the flying as cheer-worthy as it should be, than th movie will make a lot of money. I assume animals will be like Jungle Book/Lion King, no?

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

Not saying Aladdin will do bad, but not expecting a monster hit here. Memorial Day Weekend is cursed for a reason, the movies are sandwiched between the May opening MCU movie and the mid June Pixar movie.

It brought down Solo for godsake!

When would Disney consider Aladdin a success? $200m DOM and $400m OS?

• Like 1

They need to change the release date, it isn't the first in the year, that is dumbo and it isn't the big one either, that is Alladin, it could be big, but it needs room to breathe for that, and that isn't 1.5 months before TLK and not on the fourth or fifth weekend after the next Avengers. And Toy story opening in it's like fourth or third weekend isn't gone helming either.

Edited by Taruseth

6 hours ago, lilmac said:

Anyone else think this will push to late 2019 or 2020? Very little seen or heard about this film. 

Dunno-with alleged reshoots taking place with a probable 2 months prior to a teaser, things seem to be pushing a bit. Will they have time to go full-post-production after reshoots or are reshoots part of the post-production process?

Didn't they do reshoots for Infinity War within months of release? Not sure how things work.

One thing's for sure. The marketing for this movie AND for Lion King haven't been the same as it was for Cinderella or BatB which both had teasers 10 months prior. At least Jungle Book had its teaser 7 months before release. Aladdin will no way be ready for that. Dumbo was the one with a teaser WAY before release (9 months).

Re-scheduling may be a good idea if things get rocky. 2020 is so open now and there apparently is no early May release since GOTG3 is on indefinite hold. Maleficent 2 is coming out around Memorial Day 2020 but not so sure how popular that will be. I don't know of ANYTHING else released after March of that year (Mulan). Disney can give Aladdin a wide open release sometime in 2020 and thus take the pressure off of Toy Story 4 and Lion King in 2019. I would not at all be surprised if they move Aladdin at this point. If there's no teaser by December, I think that is what will happen.

2 hours ago, jedijake said:

Dunno-with alleged reshoots taking place with a probable 2 months prior to a teaser, things seem to be pushing a bit. Will they have time to go full-post-production after reshoots or are reshoots part of the post-production process?

Didn't they do reshoots for Infinity War within months of release? Not sure how things work.

One thing's for sure. The marketing for this movie AND for Lion King haven't been the same as it was for Cinderella or BatB which both had teasers 10 months prior. At least Jungle Book had its teaser 7 months before release. Aladdin will no way be ready for that. Dumbo was the one with a teaser WAY before release (9 months).

Re-scheduling may be a good idea if things get rocky. 2020 is so open now and there apparently is no early May release since GOTG3 is on indefinite hold. Maleficent 2 is coming out around Memorial Day 2020 but not so sure how popular that will be. I don't know of ANYTHING else released after March of that year (Mulan). Disney can give Aladdin a wide open release sometime in 2020 and thus take the pressure off of Toy Story 4 and Lion King in 2019. I would not at all be surprised if they move Aladdin at this point. If there's no teaser by December, I think that is what will happen.

Re shoots are part of the post production process unless you're re-shooting a huge hunk of the film.  Many if not most re-shoots are really pick ups - short addendums to already done scenes..

Infinity War didn't need a set aside time though b/c they did them while filming Avengers 4 - the editors and directors saw what they needed re-done or added to while doing the edit on AIW and the cast, crew etc were already on hand. 

As for too late, unless they're substantial they have aplenty of time.  Avengers 4 is doing their pre-scheduled re-shoots right now and that movie comes out before Aladdin.   I do think they should start promoting this though so it doesn't get completely overwhelmed in the hoopla between A4 and LK.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Re shoots are part of the post production process unless you're re-shooting a huge hunk of the film.  Many if not most re-shoots are really pick ups - short addendums to already done scenes..

Infinity War didn't need a set aside time though b/c they did them while filming Avengers 4 - the editors and directors saw what they needed re-done or added to while doing the edit on AIW and the cast, crew etc were already on hand. 

As for too late, unless they're substantial they have aplenty of time.  Avengers 4 is doing their pre-scheduled re-shoots right now and that movie comes out before Aladdin.   I do think they should start promoting this though so it doesn't get completely overwhelmed in the hoopla between A4 and LK.

You used to work in the industry?

20 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

When would Disney consider Aladdin a success? $200m DOM and $400m OS?

I think even Maleficent numbers would be considered dissapointing for this. Disney should expect Aladdin to be bigger than Dumbo or Mulan or anything else on their fairytale line up that isn't Lion King. I don't think it will come that close to BatB even if it's well recieved but 600-700M WW for one of the crown jewels of the Disney Renaissance would feel like a massive dissapointment, even if it makes its budget back and a small profit.

Thanks for the info about reshoots.

I suppose we have to take into consideration that between IW, Incredibles, and JW: FK, all of which made over $400 million and were all released before July, there was room for Deadpool 2, a rated R film, to earn over $300 million.), 

So between Avengers 4 (probably going to come out in April), Toy Story 4, there will be room for Aladdin to do decent money. By the time July comes around (Aladdin's 7th week), most of those movies will already be on the downward trend anyway.

I think this has a lot of potential (+350m DOM) but right now considering the release date and that we haven't seen anything of the movie I say this movie is pretty much destined to do much less (150-200m DOM). I don't know what Disney is thinking with these remakes of animated classics but they really need to spread them out more and with reasoning. I mean you can't have 3 remakes of 3 animated classics spread in 5 months competing against 3 MCU movies, 1 DCEU movie, 1 Pixar movie, Godzilla 2 and many other films, it is just not possible, something is going to flop or underperform big way.  

I think it would be much better to move this to 2020 and then have 2 remakes per year and also spread them throughout the calendar year (also then Disney would not run out of remakes so quickly). Something like this would be perfect: 2019 Dumbo (March) and The Lion King (July), 2020 Mulan (March), Aladdin (July or November, feels more like a summer movie)

Edit: I am not counting Maleficent 2 cause that is going to do as good as Alice 2 did. 

Edited by AN9815
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, cookie said:

A May release not having a teaser out in September doesn't really mean anything. Y'all getting ahead of yourselves.

It’s not just that - this May movie is a Disney event, as big if not bigger than Beauty and the Beast. And yet, Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella got teaser trailers 9-12 months before release and had much more info at this point in post production than Aladdin (which according to some members here, might get reshoots and is having some difficulties). Ditto for Lion King, especially since that should be the biggest movie of 2019.

Edited by JGAR4LIFE

7 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

It’s not just that - this May movie is a Disney event, as big if not bigger than Beauty and the Beast. And yet, Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella got teaser trailers 9-12 months before release and had much more info at this point in post production than Aladdin (which according to some members here, might get reshoots and is having some difficulties). Ditto for Lion King, especially since that should be the biggest movie of 2019.

The counter-example to that is The Jungle Book which had its trailer out in October.

It's not like Aladdin or The Lion King wouldn't net a ton of buzz if their trailers came out in November/December. Just how early the trailers start dropping doesn't really have an impact.

22 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

It’s not just that - this May movie is a Disney event, as big if not bigger than Beauty and the Beast. 

Wait, Aladdin is supposed to be as big or bigger than BatB? Really? Based on what? 

I don't buy a flop because family + Will but 1.2B WW? 500M dom? TF?

Edited by Valonqar