grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

It's hard for me to make any kind of judgement on how I think the film looks in terms of quality based on this teaser, as it shows us virtually nothing. I'm going to have to wait for the next trailer.

It feels similar to the Beauty and the Beast teaser, in that if Aladdin is a childhood classic for you, the music will give you 'the feels' similar to the musical tease in the Beast teaser. The difference is that I think Beauty and the Beast is more of a classic (or, perhaps more accurately, its music is more iconic), so I don't think this teaser will inspire the same levels of nostalgia/magical feelings in the same way that Beast teaser did, on average. I could be wrong - I only say this as someone who grew up in the 90s Disney Renaissance for animation.

(Additionally, the fact that Beauty and the Beast was the first animated film ever to be nominated for the Best Picture Oscar suggests to me its rather special position in history. Only two other animated films have ever been nominated for the Best Picture Oscar - Up (2009) and Toy Story 3 (2010) - and those were both in the first two years of the nominee expansion when there were actually 10 nominees and members wrote in 10 nominees when voting, unlike since then and currently where members write down 5 nominees and somewhere between 5 and 10 films are nominated. So Beauty and the Beast was it seems a pretty special animated film for its time. Anyhow, I'm getting off topic.)

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MikeQ said:

It's hard for me to make any kind of judgement on how I think the film looks in terms of quality based on this teaser, as it shows us virtually nothing. I'm going to have to wait for the next trailer.

It feels similar to the Beauty and the Beast teaser, in that if Aladdin is a childhood classic for you, the music will give you 'the feels' similar to the musical tease in the Beast teaser. The difference is that I think Beauty and the Beast is more of a classic (or, perhaps more accurately, its music is more iconic), so I don't think this teaser will inspire the same levels of nostalgia/magical feelings in the same way that Beast teaser did, on average. I could be wrong - I only say this as someone who grew up in the 90s Disney Renaissance for animation.

(Additionally, the fact that Beauty and the Beast was the first animated film ever to be nominated for the Best Picture Oscar suggests to me its rather special position in history. Only two other animated films have ever been nominated for the Best Picture Oscar - Up (2009) and Toy Story 3 (2010) - and those were both in the first two years of the nominee expansion when there were actually 10 nominees and members wrote in 10 nominees when voting, unlike since then and currently where members write down 5 nominees and somewhere between 5 and 10 films are nominated. So Beauty and the Beast was it seems a pretty special animated film for its time. Anyhow, I'm getting off topic.)

Peace,

Mike

I know money isn't everything but Aladdin made more money than BATB back in the day so I would say the nostalgia level for a lot of people is probably similar .

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I know money isn't everything but Aladdin made more money than BATB back in the day so I would say the nostalgia level for a lot of people is probably similar .

That's very true. I could be wrong here, and I'm curious to see how the teaser trailer takes off in terms of views. But I'll add that box office gross is often a moment in time, and doesn't necessarily reflect how people look back on a film any number of years later in terms of nostalgia. It's definitely a classic Disney animated film - I just wonder whether, of the films from the Disney Renaissance era, Aladdin is perceived to be on quite the same level as Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King. It's hard to say, because I'm sure those of us who lived through it have our own perspectives that are shaped by which of the animated films in this period most made an impression on us.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ

1 Beauty and the Beast (2017) BV $1,263.5 $504.0 39.9% $759.5 60.1% 2017
2 Alice in Wonderland (2010) BV $1,025.5 $334.2 32.6% $691.3 67.4% 2010
3 The Jungle Book (2016) BV $966.6 $364.0 37.7% $602.5 62.3% 2016
4 Maleficent BV $758.5 $241.4 31.8% $517.1 68.2% 2014
5 Cinderella (2015) BV $543.5 $201.2 37% $342.4 63% 2015
6 Oz The Great and Powerful BV $493.3 $234.9 47.6% $258.4 52.4% 2013
7 101 Dalmatians (1996) BV $320.7 $136.2 42.5% $184.5 57.5% 1996
8 Alice Through the Looking Glass BV $299.5 $77.0 25.7% $222.4 74.3% 2016
9 Pete's Dragon (2016) BV $143.7 $76.2 53.1% $67.5 46.9% 2016

TOTAL: $5,814.7 $2,169.1 37.3% $3,645.6 62.7% -
AVERAGE: $646.1 $241.0 37.3% $405.1 62.7% -

Seems like Dumbo will land in the Cinderella neighborhood while Aladdin should be closer to Jungle Book on the domestic side.  That's about how they're priced on HSX as well.

It looks beautiful. That's all it needed to do.

Y'all acting like they're gonna show Genie in the first teaser or like they need to show more about the story like everyone hasn't seen it a thousand times. 

That's what Disney remakes do. Look beautiful and try to not fuck it up. Nostalgia (+ the animated movie strength) will do the rest.

• Like 1

It might be just the fact that I love any fantasy movie set in a desert/oriental background, but I can't wait for this. I've never been so hyped for a live action Disney movies. And now I want to watch Aladdin the animation (I don't think I ever watched it fully).

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Warmaster506 said:

Will still make loads of money.

Like Solo made tons of money this year like everybody assumed? This movie is in Disney's death slot and was directed by Guy Ritchie. "Loads of money"? I doubt it. It should do better than Solo but I believe that it will be almost as overpredicted as Solo was.