grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

40 minutes ago, Avatree said:

No stars?

6blt39m.png

"When I see Jafar, I think Sean Penn...he's got the eyes of a killer!"

-- Jon Peters

(Hey, how about Russell Crowe for Jafar...or even Antonio Bandaras??  *Someone*?)

Don't tell me they care about Arab accuracy when they cast Will Smith, and previously...Robin Williams...which is the toughest hurdle to get over, of course...even for Will Smith.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Macleod said:

-- Jon Peters

(Hey, how about Russell Crowe for Jafar...or even Antonio Bandaras??  *Someone*?)

Don't tell me they care about Arab accuracy when they cast Will Smith, and previously...Robin Williams...which is the toughest hurdle to get over, of course...even for Will Smith. 

when did anyone claim Disney was striving for Arabian "accuracy"?

there is not one Arab actor in this movie. nor was there any in the original animated film.

Aladdin has been performed for decades by non arab actors... oh no! The controversy!

18 minutes ago, Macleod said:

-- Jon Peters

Genies are fantasy creatures, so they have more leeway with them race-wise. 

I'm personally happy they didn't pull a Gods of Egypt with this. I agree the leads seem miscast though, hopefully it's just a badly cut trailer. That said, we're just two months away and they should have better material available than this...

Edited by Celedhring

2 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

I'm personally happy they didn't pull a Gods of Egypt with this. I agree the leads seem miscast though, hopefully it's just a badly cut trailer. That said, we're just two months away and they should be having better material available than this...

Three months, to be accurate.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Avatree said:

when did anyone claim Disney was striving for Arabian "accuracy"?

there is not one Arab actor in this movie. nor was there any in the original animated film.

Aladdin has been performed for decades by non arab actors... oh no! The controversy!

Well, there are a couple of Iranians, that I can see... ?  😁

I'm not striving for accuracy...quite the opposite.  I'm saying...they could have starred it up a bit, relatively.

2 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

The differences between Pixar and WDAS is I imagine that Pixar’s aren’t as easy to translate into live action. Both Toy Story, Finding Nemo and likely The Incredibles would be too soon and Brad Bird would be pissed about the latter and wouldn’t boom due to nostalgia. Monsters Inc and Cars would be too creepy, A Bug’s Life, Brave, The Good Dinosaur and Ratatouille would work but I doubt anyone cares. Both Coco and Inside Out as big as they are, are way too soon and fresh in minds. 

You forgot the one i think (after Toy Story or Incredibles) could really make an amazing live-action remake .... UP!

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

It’d still be too soon and not have the same impact. For all we know Frozen may be at 3 films and Moana may have a sequel in ten years from now. They’d have to wait ~15 years at least for the most impact.

In fact, 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Macleod said:

Well, there are a couple of Iranians, that I can see... ?  😁

I'm not striving for accuracy...quite the opposite.  I'm saying...they could have starred it up a bit, relatively.

Iran is not an Arab country.

20 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

I'm personally happy they didn't pull a Gods of Egypt with this. I agree the leads seem miscast though, hopefully it's just a badly cut trailer. That said, we're just two months away and they should have better material available than this...

Gods of Egypt is a silly movie, but actually wonderfully diverse in its overall background casting of its world.  Pause any frame with more than just the stars, and you'll see.  Plus...Chadwick Boseman?  😉

Plus...it's a myth, it's not even based on any known "reality" or written history...or written myth.

Fight me.  😁

Edited by Macleod
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Iran is not an Arab country.

And...?  The point is...if they're willing to diversify that, then they can diversify their box office potential, which I guess is what they were thinking when casting internationally...  but I'm just astounded at their relative low-key casting here.

Holy shit. the trailer has more dislikes than likes. Disney Marketing needs to do something to turn things around

At first people complained about no blue genie and now they are mocking it. It indeed looks ridiculous. Some animated movies don't translate well into live action.

Also, the animated movie was for kids. Now adults are judging this trailer very harshly. Maybe kids will enjoy it

19 hours ago, TMP said:

Considering that:

-Jasmine is not being played by a Middle Eastern actress

-There are no famous Middle Eastern actors of any kind in this

-They painted white extras in brownface and had to go back in to reshoot that shit

I would say not really.

Best not mention the Bluewashing.

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

maybe they need to release the A Whole New World scene or something to create positive buzz. it's just the two of them sitting on a carpet and singing, how hard could that be to mess up? i'm sure ritchie found a way.

What if the whole thing is a disaster? Maybe they should just hide the rest of the footage until the movie hits theaters, lol.

Lost in this mess with the Smith Genie is they seem to have butchered the casting of Jafar. Too young with a very weak voice. I honestly didn't even realize it was him in the footage until I saw people complaining about it, lol

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

maybe they need to release the A Whole New World scene or something to create positive buzz. it's just the two of them sitting on a carpet and singing, how hard could that be to mess up? i'm sure ritchie found a way.

Disney should just pull a Solo and get Ron Howard to reshoot the whole film, but keep it in that sweet, sweet Disney Memorial Day spot. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Alli said:

Holy shit. the trailer has more dislikes than likes. Disney Marketing needs to do something to turn things around

At first people complained about no blue genie and now they are mocking it. It indeed looks ridiculous. Some animated movies don't translate well into live action.

Also, the animated movie was for kids. Now adults are judging this trailer very harshly. Maybe kids will enjoy it

Or maybe they just have a not very good product to market?

• Like 1