Jump to content

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

grim22

Aladdin live action movie | May 24 2019 | Disney | Guy Ritchie probably confirmed as director at this point

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, Avatree said:

No stars?

 

6blt39m.png

 


"When I see Jafar, I think Sean Penn...he's got the eyes of a killer!"

-- Jon Peters

 

(Hey, how about Russell Crowe for Jafar...or even Antonio Bandaras??  *Someone*?)

 

Don't tell me they care about Arab accuracy when they cast Will Smith, and previously...Robin Williams...which is the toughest hurdle to get over, of course...even for Will Smith.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Macleod said:


"When I see Jafar, I think Sean Penn...he's got the eyes of a killer!"

-- Jon Peters

 

(Hey, how about Russell Crowe for Jafar...or even Antonio Bandaras??  *Someone*?)

 

Don't tell me they care about Arab accuracy when they cast Will Smith, and previously...Robin Williams...which is the toughest hurdle to get over, of course...even for Will Smith. 

when did anyone claim Disney was striving for Arabian "accuracy"?

 

there is not one Arab actor in this movie. nor was there any in the original animated film.

 

Aladdin has been performed for decades by non arab actors... oh no! The controversy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Lmao it looks like a total disaster.

 

And here i was worried that Aladdin could put Godzilla in jeopardy. If the film is like the trailerm ill enjoy the 70% 2nd weekend drop very much.

  • Not Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Macleod said:


"When I see Jafar, I think Sean Penn...he's got the eyes of a killer!"

-- Jon Peters

 

(Hey, how about Russell Crowe for Jafar...or even Antonio Bandaras??  *Someone*?)

 

Don't tell me they care about Arab accuracy when they cast Will Smith, and previously...Robin Williams...which is the toughest hurdle to get over, of course...even for Will Smith.

Genies are fantasy creatures, so they have more leeway with them race-wise. 

 

I'm personally happy they didn't pull a Gods of Egypt with this. I agree the leads seem miscast though, hopefully it's just a badly cut trailer. That said, we're just two months away and they should have better material available than this...

Edited by Celedhring

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

Genies are fantasy creatures, so they have more leeway with them race-wise. 

 

I'm personally happy they didn't pull a Gods of Egypt with this. I agree the leads seem miscast though, hopefully it's just a badly cut trailer. That said, we're just two months away and they should be having better material available than this...

Three months, to be accurate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Avatree said:

when did anyone claim Disney was striving for Arabian "accuracy"?

 

there is not one Arab actor in this movie. nor was there any in the original animated film.

 

Aladdin has been performed for decades by non arab actors... oh no! The controversy!

Well, there are a couple of Iranians, that I can see... ?  😁

 

I'm not striving for accuracy...quite the opposite.  I'm saying...they could have starred it up a bit, relatively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

The differences between Pixar and WDAS is I imagine that Pixar’s aren’t as easy to translate into live action. Both Toy Story, Finding Nemo and likely The Incredibles would be too soon and Brad Bird would be pissed about the latter and wouldn’t boom due to nostalgia. Monsters Inc and Cars would be too creepy, A Bug’s Life, Brave, The Good Dinosaur and Ratatouille would work but I doubt anyone cares. Both Coco and Inside Out as big as they are, are way too soon and fresh in minds. 

You forgot the one i think (after Toy Story or Incredibles) could really make an amazing live-action remake .... UP!

 

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

It’d still be too soon and not have the same impact. For all we know Frozen may be at 3 films and Moana may have a sequel in ten years from now. They’d have to wait ~15 years at least for the most impact.

In fact, 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Macleod said:

Well, there are a couple of Iranians, that I can see... ?  😁

 

I'm not striving for accuracy...quite the opposite.  I'm saying...they could have starred it up a bit, relatively.

Iran is not an Arab country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

Genies are fantasy creatures, so they have more leeway with them race-wise. 

 

I'm personally happy they didn't pull a Gods of Egypt with this. I agree the leads seem miscast though, hopefully it's just a badly cut trailer. That said, we're just two months away and they should have better material available than this...

Gods of Egypt is a silly movie, but actually wonderfully diverse in its overall background casting of its world.  Pause any frame with more than just the stars, and you'll see.  Plus...Chadwick Boseman?  😉

 

Plus...it's a myth, it's not even based on any known "reality" or written history...or written myth.

 

Fight me.  😁

Edited by Macleod
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ancient egyptians were more white than black anyway I thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Iran is not an Arab country.

And...?  The point is...if they're willing to diversify that, then they can diversify their box office potential, which I guess is what they were thinking when casting internationally...  but I'm just astounded at their relative low-key casting here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having Iranians in a movie set in the Islamic Golden Age is pretty realistic, to be frank. For starters, the main characters of the overarching One Thousand an One Nights tale (Scherezade and the King) are Iranians. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then again, the story of Aladdin is set in China and was apparently made up by a French translator.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy shit. the trailer has more dislikes than likes. Disney Marketing needs to do something to turn things around

 

At first people complained about no blue genie and now they are mocking it. It indeed looks ridiculous. Some animated movies don't translate well into live action.

 

Also, the animated movie was for kids. Now adults are judging this trailer very harshly. Maybe kids will enjoy it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TMP said:

Considering that:

-Jasmine is not being played by a Middle Eastern actress

-There are no famous Middle Eastern actors of any kind in this

-They painted white extras in brownface and had to go back in to reshoot that shit

I would say not really.

Best not mention the Bluewashing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barkhad Abdi would have been a good Jafar. He's not Arab, so that might have been an issue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

maybe they need to release the A Whole New World scene or something to create positive buzz. it's just the two of them sitting on a carpet and singing, how hard could that be to mess up? i'm sure ritchie found a way.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

maybe they need to release the A Whole New World scene or something to create positive buzz. it's just the two of them sitting on a carpet and singing, how hard could that be to mess up? i'm sure ritchie found a way.

 

What if the whole thing is a disaster? Maybe they should just hide the rest of the footage until the movie hits theaters, lol.

 

Lost in this mess with the Smith Genie is they seem to have butchered the casting of Jafar. Too young with a very weak voice. I honestly didn't even realize it was him in the footage until I saw people complaining about it, lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

maybe they need to release the A Whole New World scene or something to create positive buzz. it's just the two of them sitting on a carpet and singing, how hard could that be to mess up? i'm sure ritchie found a way.

Disney should just pull a Solo and get Ron Howard to reshoot the whole film, but keep it in that sweet, sweet Disney Memorial Day spot. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Alli said:

Holy shit. the trailer has more dislikes than likes. Disney Marketing needs to do something to turn things around

 

At first people complained about no blue genie and now they are mocking it. It indeed looks ridiculous. Some animated movies don't translate well into live action.

 

Also, the animated movie was for kids. Now adults are judging this trailer very harshly. Maybe kids will enjoy it

Or maybe they just have a not very good product to market?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.