grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

it's not really an original at all. despite what Disney tries to claim. it was ripped off from a Japanese anime from the 60s..

Yeesh. I heard people vaguely compare TLK to some Japanese thing, but I assumed that the similarities were probably fairly inconsequential. This is downright shameful. And people call Inception a rip off of Paprika?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Disney is not invulnerable. Like Superman in BvS, they do bleed.

They should have known better than hiring Guy Ritchie (who hasn't had any talent since the start of the decade), trusting in Will Smith in 2019 (who is totally washed up), and hiring an ugly guy as Aladdin and a below average looking girl as Jasmine (I'm sorry but Disney Princesses are supposed to be GORGEOUS not a solid 7).

This looks a complete mess and Will Smith's genie alone is going to bring down a potential franchise and $300m investment.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

6 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Yeesh. I heard people vaguely compare TLK to some Japanese thing, but I assumed that the similarities were probably fairly inconsequential. This is downright shameful. And people call Inception a rip off of Paprika?

Wow.

TLK was pretty much a remake of that old anime.

And some people wonder why so many hate Disney...

Edited by LouisianaArkansasGeorgia

3 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Wow.

TLK was pretty much a remake of that old anime.

And some people wonder why so many hate Disney...

Lion King is supposedly a loose adaptation of Hamlet though right? And I'm thinking whatever japanese movie you're on about, was probably made after Shakespeare was around.. ;)

I think people are overexaggerating the extent of the hatred and impact. It's pretty much in the social media networks that Aladdin is SO hated. Even Grace Randolph make objective critiques of the film but admitted that people will still see it and remarked on the positives. It's probably just a bunch of Pikachu-loving teenage boys who are giving it unreasonable bashing (Jasmine is a 7 and not a 10, Aladdin is ugly, etc.) that hate everything Disney anyway. Sure, Aladdin's stock went down, but it will still be a decently sized hit UNLESS social media is responsible alone for bringing it down. But then again, that is going to be the case with anything Disney does, be it Toy Story, Lion King, Frozen, Star Wars....pretty much everything except Marvel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jedijake said:

I think people are overexaggerating the extent of the hatred and impact. It's pretty much in the social media networks that Aladdin is SO hated. Even Grace Randolph make objective critiques of the film but admitted that people will still see it and remarked on the positives. It's probably just a bunch of Pikachu-loving teenage boys who are giving it unreasonable bashing (Jasmine is a 7 and not a 10, Aladdin is ugly, etc.) that hate everything Disney anyway. Sure, Aladdin's stock went down, but it will still be a decently sized hit UNLESS social media is responsible alone for bringing it down. But then again, that is going to be the case with anything Disney does, be it Toy Story, Lion King, Frozen, Star Wars....pretty much everything except Marvel.

A fanbase alone isn’t large enough or responsible enough for dislikes of that caliber. Sure it’s not like Ghostbusters who was sabotaged by the MRA, but it shows there’s a potential problem.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hunch said:

hiring an ugly guy as Aladdin and a below average looking girl as Jasmine (I'm sorry but Disney Princesses are supposed to be GORGEOUS not a solid 7).

I may not care for the guy who’s doing Aladdin but don’t diss Naomi Scott.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hunch said:

Disney is not invulnerable. Like Superman in BvS, they do bleed.

They should have known better than hiring Guy Ritchie (who hasn't had any talent since the start of the decade), trusting in Will Smith in 2019 (who is totally washed up), and hiring an ugly guy as Aladdin and a below average looking girl as Jasmine (I'm sorry but Disney Princesses are supposed to be GORGEOUS not a solid 7).

This looks a complete mess and Will Smith's genie alone is going to bring down a potential franchise and $300m investment.

I think they look fairly alright. I don't mind someone who isn't that quote-on-quote "smokin' hot" playing Aladdin, because, in my mind, Aladdin is supposed to be a symbol of the lower class, one that is meant to juxtapose the symbols of the higher class, and there's a fun irony between 'good' Aladdin's look and 'evil' Jafar's look.

Also, if there are any girls out there who are still empowered by Disney princesses such as Jasmine, then it is perhaps a good thing that what they see on screen isn't setting an impossible standard for how they should strive to look. Women should be confident in themselves regardless of how they look; the same goes for men.

Edited by Slambros
  • Thanks 1

There's legit bashing and then there's bashing for the sake of bashing.

Jafar's voice is a concern. Aladdin and Jasmine have yet to speak so let's wait. Abu look awesome. Genie has problems BUT the high res shot that they showed actually looks infinitely better and even looks very good.

Edited by jedijake
  • Thanks 1

Aside from Memorial Day release, this movie is similar to Solo in that they have to replace an iconic character/performance. Reaction to the first Solo trailers were pretty meh but reaction to this is pretty negative (at-least stateside). 

Any ideas on how the trailer/genie reveal is playing overseas?

39 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Jafar's voice is a concern. Aladdin and Jasmine have yet to speak so let's wait. Abu look awesome. Genie has problems BUT the high res shot that they showed actually looks infinitely better and even looks very good.

The sort of blank expression on the face of Jafar/Aladdin is not a great sign, but it's a small amount of footage and we'll have to see how the rest of it turns out. 

49 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Where are those stills.