grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

I just am not a fan of the look of the characters in this, and feel that some of them have been miscast.

Aladdin should look poorer and have only a vest (with no undershirt) - i.e. struggling to get by. Jafar seems miscast to me (based on look and voice), as does Jasmine (though to be fair we haven't seen much of her). Certainly casting and characterization is always a subjective thing, and maybe they're going in a particular direction, but I am not personally a fan based on the little we've seen so far.

And Will Smith I think could be a potentially great genie if they chose him to *voice* the character (with a pure CGI creation for the genie), which is what I originally thought they were doing when they had cast him. I don't like the look of the humanoid type genie we're getting.

So, I guess it's some kind of a combination of the production design/art direction, casting, costuming, etc, that just feels off to me.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Aside from Memorial Day release, this movie is similar to Solo in that they have to replace an iconic character/performance. Reaction to the first Solo trailers were pretty meh but reaction to this is pretty negative (at-least stateside). 

Any ideas on how the trailer/genie reveal is playing overseas?

good, actually... on foreign channels the like / dislike ratio on youtube is completely normal, of course people is making jokes but nothing that suggests people is considering not watch the movie

the huge backlash is coming basically from USA, but i don't think everyone who are disappointed and give it a dislike necessarily will not going to watch the movie... i always expect $ 230 - 250M DOM and huge numbers overseas for this and i still think the same

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The difference between the high res pic of Will and the one we saw in the trailer seems to be a matter of adjusting the light, clarity, and contrast. I played around with the high res pic and if you decrease the clarity, you get what we saw in the trailer. Certainly they may have not adjusted everything perfectly for that trailer. Can't speak for everything else (including his motion or Jafar's voice) but the look of Will IS repairable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TMP said:

Jesus christ, how high are your fucking standards man.

3 hours ago, JB33 said:

Probably just another idiot teenager.

Each to their own, man. I don't think she is attractive at all either.

3 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Yes this ain't looking that bad.

Now I have two clubs going on, one bets Disney $4B domestic 2019 which needs Aladdin to do well, i.e. ~300 Other is Aladdin under Prince of Persia inflation adj. 

Seems like it will end up in between both :whosad:

Well Prince of Persia adjusted for inflation would have made $103 million. I'd say that Aladdin's OW will be at least that much.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Some things just shoudnt be live-action. A blue Will Smith Genie is one of them.

This could be the second-highest grossing horror film this year after IT Chapter 2.

I think that is one of the harshest things I read about that if not the harshest. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Aside from Memorial Day release, this movie is similar to Solo in that they have to replace an iconic character/performance. Reaction to the first Solo trailers were pretty meh but reaction to this is pretty negative (at-least stateside). 

Any ideas on how the trailer/genie reveal is playing overseas?

Any good merchant (like me :) ) will tell you that there is nothing worse than MEH. Violent negativity (by misinformed brutes, who can't make a sound decision to save their life) is so much better!! As will the BO of Aladdin show.

Also:

1. the general public stays away from such nerd meltdowns

2. most of these will come back crying and seeking excuses when a proper trailer drops

3. and the rest are flat out racist haters (so we hate blue skin now?), who were never gonna see the movie anyway, just crawled out of the woodwork to vent their ugly hate

1 minute ago, shayhiri said:

Any good merchant (like me :) ) will tell you that there is nothing worse than MEH. Violent negativity (by misinformed brutes, who can't make a sound decision to save their life) is so much better!! As will the BO of Aladdin show.

Also:

1. the general public stays away from such nerd meltdowns

2. most of these will come back crying and seeking excuses when a proper trailer drops

3. and the rest are flat out racist haters (so we hate blue skin now?), who were never gonna see the movie anyway, just crawled out of the woodwork to vent their ugly hate

what was the last major film that had its box office aided by people hating it?

1 minute ago, shayhiri said:

Do you not realise that Smurfs don't exist? Can't be racist towards something that isn't real.