grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

19 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Aladdins publicity is comparable right now to that of The Mummy (2017).

Which means, its great for the Internet but not good at all for the films prospects.

Just because people makes jokes about it, does not mean they will shell out 12 bucks to see it

If Interent memes equaled big box office, "Snakes On A Plane" would have been one of the biggest money makers in history.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Just because people makes jokes about it, does not mean they will shell out 12 bucks to see it

If Interent memes equaled big box office, "Snakes On A Plane" would have been one of the biggest money makers in history.

.... But thats exactly what i meant... ?

37 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Aladdins publicity is comparable right now to that of The Mummy (2017).

Which means, its great for the Internet but not good at all for the films prospects.

Eh. The Mummy did alright overseas, and I can’t imagine that this movie will make less than $100 million domestically. Well, not unless people mistakenly think this is a movie about Muslims. 

Edited by WittyUsername

Problem with this is that it SHOULD be something that's got 400M potential. Aladdin is practically on the same tier as BatB in terms of the popularity of the animated original (maybe just slightly below). But still, the fact that we're considering 200M a win for this is a huge missed opportunity from Disney. 

• Like 3

On 2/12/2019 at 5:22 AM, Slambros said:

I think they look fairly alright. I don't mind someone who isn't that quote-on-quote "smokin' hot" playing Aladdin, because, in my mind, Aladdin is supposed to be a symbol of the lower class, one that is meant to juxtapose the symbols of the higher class, and there's a fun irony between 'good' Aladdin's look and 'evil' Jafar's look.

Also, if there are any girls out there who are still empowered by Disney princesses such as Jasmine, then it is perhaps a good thing that what they see on screen isn't setting an impossible standard for how they should strive to look. Women should be confident in themselves regardless of how they look; the same goes for men.

Personally I don't think people, especially children, should be looking to the entertainment products of multi-billion dollar corporations to feel "empowered". My critique of her looks is an artistic one; art is supposed to be beautiful. Plus, her character is supposed to be stunningly beautiful. It's in disservice to the story to cast someone just above-average looking.

Edited by Hunch

10 hours ago, DAJK said:

Problem with this is that it SHOULD be something that's got 400M potential. Aladdin is practically on the same tier as BatB in terms of the popularity of the animated original (maybe just slightly below). But still, the fact that we're considering 200M a win for this is a huge missed opportunity from Disney. 

THAT I agree with. $400 million should have been guaranteed with the right production. I think it will make well over $200 million due to its OW alone (around $110-$115 million). But its slot was never going to make it the biggest film of the year anyway. And less than $300 million is a missed opportunity. I just think that people are overreacting to how well/poorly it will end up doing. And seeing a superior teaser in Frozen 2 doesn't help its stock all that much. BUT Aladdin is a well loved and well known property so Disney fans (mostly girls and women) will flock to see it anyway.