grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

31 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

But in the approach they've taken here, Will Smith being Will Smith looks totally out of place.

Genie in the OG Aladdin was just as, if not more out of place (Jafar didn't do impressions of Arsenio Hall and Rodney Dangerfield), and that worked fine.

15 minutes ago, Emerald kikyou said:

I am excited for this but why does Jasmine look Indian? She wears Indian clothes. Feels weired. The story should have an Arabian look to it. Felt like I’m watching an Indian  Aladin .... 

Jafar is miscast . His voice and face lacks the malice of the one in the movie. It makes me wonder what they were thinking when casting him. At least his clothes look good.

Hollywood thinks all brown people look the same (Anglo people  are like this too).

Edited by Lucasmessi12
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Emerald kikyou said:

I am excited for this but why does Jasmine look Indian? She wears Indian clothes. Feels weired. The story should have an Arabian look to it. Felt like I’m watching an Indian  Aladin .... 

Jafar is miscast . His voice and face lacks the malice of the one in the movie. It makes me wonder what they were thinking when casting him. At least his clothes look good.

It's always been like this lmao. The original Aladdin combined Persian, Indian and Arabian imagery.  I mean the palace looks like the fucking Taj Mahal.

That's why I said the live action remake would always be a mess. 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

In less than 3 hours

YouTube: 0.8M

Twitter: 1.7M

Facebook: 4.3M

Instagram: 5.1M

11.9 million views already just on Disney / Will accounts and the reception are great. Anyone who still thinks this is gonna bomb are just delusional, the hype exists and now it’s good. I don’t think it will be huge domestic because of the competition but +200M shouldn’t be hard, also OS will eat this up.

I’m gonna update this after 24 hours, I think this could easily pull 40-50 million views just on Disney / Will Smith accounts across social media.

The competition for this isn't that intense tbh. Godzilla, Dark Phoenix, and Men in Black all seem to have ceilings and The Secret Life of Pets 2 is likely certain to dip from the first one (by how much remains to be seen). Toy Story 4 seems to be the biggest roadblock but this will be on the way out by then anyway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Is Whole New World really that iconic? I mean, I haven't seen Aladdin and this the first time I hear the song. I also haven't BatB and TLK, but I'm familiar with their popular songs.

Yes it is. I think it's in the same league with Beauty and the Beast song, Circle of Life and Hakuna Matata.

I actually understand why they did Jafar this way at least in appearance, Some have criticized the original Jafar of being too much of an Arab caricature. I think they are trying to make him less so in this one. However I agree that his voice could at least sound more menacing but we've barely heard him speak. 

2 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Genie in the OG Aladdin was just as, if not more out of place (Jafar didn't do impressions of Arsenio Hall and Rodney Dangerfield), and that worked fine.

The point is the OG Aladdin had all animated characters with voice actors who didn't fit the ethnicity of their characters. The voice actors were mostly white if not all. And it didn't just have Robin Williams as the Genie, it had Gilbert Gottfried as Iago.

Here for a live action Aladdin, we have more culturally appropriate actors playing the bulk of the characters, so having someone like Will Smith as the Genie looks more out of place. It's a animated vs. live action issue, something that is not as easily translated from animated to live action.

Edited by Jay Beezy

4 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Yes it is. I think it's in the same league with Beauty and the Beast song, Circle of Life and Hakuna Matata.

Circle of Life is number 1 and Whole New World 2. Everything else is below this two. 

2 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Ok, so does anyone happen to know if the tune from 1:34 -1:42 is part of Aladdin's soundtrack, other movie score or a generic trailer music?

I think it’s a part of a Whole New World

15 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

You said the same thing about Aquaman.

Which basically doubled the average pre-December prediction here where morons someone how thought MARY FUCKING POPPINS would be appeal to anyone between the ages of 8 and 70. 

IF - IF - IF - this gets good reviews than an epic, tremendous breakout is incoming. 

THE MAGIC CARPET RIDE in a crowded theater will be a sight to behold. 

Edited by excel1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The competition for this isn't that intense tbh. Godzilla, Dark Phoenix, and Men in Black all seem to have ceilings and The Secret Life of Pets 2 is likely certain to dip from the first one (by how much remains to be seen). Toy Story 4 seems to be the biggest roadblock but this will be on the way out by then anyway.

True but judging from past Memorial Day family openers it will drop around 60%, and even though Pets 2 won’t be as big as the original, I think it’s still aiming for a $85M-$100M OW as it’s the last big animated film since Dragon 3. The first two weekend drops for this will be hard.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

In less than 3 hours

YouTube: 0.8M

Twitter: 1.7M

Facebook: 4.3M

Instagram: 5.1M

11.9 million views already just on Disney / Will accounts and the reception are great. Anyone who still thinks this is gonna bomb are just delusional, the hype exists and now it’s good. I don’t think it will be huge domestic because of the competition but +200M shouldn’t be hard, also OS will eat this up.

I’m gonna update this after 24 hours, I think this could easily pull 40-50 million views just on Disney / Will Smith accounts across social media.

...It's not trending top on any social media though. Not good for it's first actual trailer.

Anyways I think Mesa was a mistake for Aladdin, he doesn't fit it IMO. Jasmine is also conservative. Jafar also doesn't sound menacing at all, too high a voice.

My issues with Genie were subsided but I don't expect this will do as good as people expect. Memorial Day weekend has been a BO killer for a long time.

LMAO knew that the very first hint of A Whole New World would rapidly change opinions. Makes you wonder why they didn't just start the marketing with it, like how the BatB teaser started off with the haunting prologue music and TLK with the Circle of Life opening.

Edited by Spidey Freak

4 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

...It's not trending top on any social media though. Not good for it's first actual trailer.

Anyways I think Mesa was a mistake for Aladdin, he doesn't fit it IMO. Jasmine is also conservative. Jafar also doesn't sound menacing at all, too high a voice.

My issues with Genie were subsided but I don't expect this will do as good as people expect. Memorial Day weekend has been a BO killer for a long time.

To be fair it takes a while. I don’t think PikaPika (second trailer) was trending until like 5 hours after the trailer. And it didn’t get number #1 until in the night.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

2 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

LMAO knew that the very first hint of A Whole New World would rapidly change opinions. Makes you wonder why they didn't just start the marketing with it, like how the BatB teaser started off with the haunting prologue music.

They kinda did that with the orchestrated Arabian Knights in the first teaser.