WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

I'd be very surprised if Ant-Man doesn't do at least 70M with that number. It had no hype, a large amount of Marvel fans were against the movie and the character isn't that popular in the comics. There's no reason for this to be frontloaded.

• Like 2

I'd be very surprised if Ant-Man doesn't do at least 70M with that number. It had no hype, a large amount of Marvel fans were against the movie and the character isn't that popular in the comics. There's no reason for this to be frontloaded.

A $70m is more surprising than just $60m.

Ant-Man is silly summer fun. The last 40 minutes played like gangbusters in my screening. If you're looking for Marvel escapism without the dreary Master Plan stuff Ant-Man is so right for you.

After watching it, I can't help but think Devin's comment was spot on.  This is the perfect palate cleanser. 

• Like 2

Okay this is really really weird. I don't have any interest in ant man I don't have any animosity towards it either but I have no real interest in it. Having said that I had a dream last night that a man did 6.4 million in previews. Why the hell I'm dreaming about a man doing any kind of money during anything is beyond me. I even dreamt that somebody started a thread with the 6.4 million dollar number. I am now freaked out lol

Edited by baumer
  • Like 7

Okay this is really really weird. I don't have any interest in a man I don't have any animosity towards it either but I have no real interest in it. Having said that I had a dream last night that a man did 6.4 million in previews. Why the hell I'm dreaming about a man doing any kind of money during anything is beyond me. I even dreamt that somebody started a thread with the 6.4 million dollar number. I am now freaked out lol

What was the man's name?

• Like 1

70m should happen for Ant Man

I am not so sure of that.

We are in primetime for high school and college kids being out of school, plus Marvel seems to have grown more of a preview audience recently compared to their Phase 1 films. Look at Guardians, a totally "new" concept that should have been less frontloaded over the weekend than some of the Marvel sequels and yet it had a 8.4 multi from the preview number to the weekend number. That's probably because it was a true summer release so it was easier for teenage and young adults to go see it on Thursday evening. If something similar happens here then it ends up around $54m.

• Like 3

Okay this is really really weird. I don't have any interest in ant man I don't have any animosity towards it either but I have no real interest in it. Having said that I had a dream last night that a man did 6.4 million in previews. Why the hell I'm dreaming about a man doing any kind of money during anything is beyond me. I even dreamt that somebody started a thread with the 6.4 million dollar number. I am now freaked out lol

Gopher or rth just reading you numbers even in your dreams.

Looking at Marvel phase 2 previews to weekend multipliers:

Thor 2 7.1M to 85M = 12x from previews with no holidays

Cap 2 10.2M to 95M = 9.4x from previews with no holidays

GOTG 11.2M to 94M = 8.5x previews during holidays

AOU 27M to 191M = 6.5x previews with no holidays

If Ant-Man gets a 10x (splitting the difference and holiday factor), it will get 65M OW.

Updates to this

Thor 2 and Cap 2 previews started at 8pm for the 7.1M and 10.2M numbers, Guardians started at 7pm same as Ant-Man. 

The Wolverine did 4M/52M but from 10pm and onwards shows.

I am not so sure of that.

We are in primetime for high school and college kids being out of school, plus Marvel seems to have grown more of a preview audience recently compared to their Phase 1 films. Look at Guardians, a totally "new" concept that should have been less frontloaded over the weekend than some of the Marvel sequels and yet it had a 8.4 multi from the preview number to the weekend number. That's probably because it was a true summer release so it was easier for teenage and young adults to go see it on Thursday evening. If something similar happens here then it ends up around $54m.

Yeah 70 million doesn't make sense. Nor does mid 60s. Thursday numbers are dubious predictors of OW since multipliers are all over the place, but based on GOTG. Ant-Man will do mid 50s, around 55 exactly.

I'm like you (not with the weird preview number dreams . . . you might be in dire need of a vacation) without interest or animosity for this movie.  I was planning on watching it on cable or DVD but who knows . . . with the favorable reviews and WOM I might break down and see it if I get bored.

• Like 1