WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

I was ridiculed for my prediction, it was right. Now I get to ridicule the people who ridiculed me. It's how it works, deal with it. Also one post celebrating my victory is not a huge brag fest either.

I just find it hard to believe you were "ridiculed" for your prediction. Nobody besides BKB was legitimately thinking this was going to light the box office on fire.

• Like 1

What would YOU have done? And this is not a rhetorical "let's see YOU do better" in their defense, I'm legitimately curious.

#1. No Agents of SHIELD "see how it's all connected" bullcrap constantly shoved in audiences' faces. Same with "Daredevil". It's fine to make more Marvel properties, but dishing it all into the MCU and getting it all messy just confuses the GA. Nobody is a total geek for all of this and can obsessively just take it all in.

#2. More of allowing movies to just "do their own thing", again GotG heavily succeeded because outside of something that was barely relevant to the plot, it mainly existed outside of a world where they had to constantly reference the MCU. People really liked that.

#3. Keep the Avengers THE FUCKING AVENGERS. You have Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Hawkeye and Black Widow. Throw in Nick Fury and you have a solid, simple set of recognizable characters that audiences like and can easily follow. Yet the 2nd movie just adds so many new characters and ends with an entirely new lineup to the point where the GA is thinking, "What's all this here? What's going on?" Now we are throwing Scott Lang into the mix, not the best idea. The idea that it's all connected is fine, but you just can not have a movie series with this many characters to follow. 

It worked initially because nobody had done this before and audiences were digging it, but ESPECIALLY because it was easy to follow. Each Avengers characters got their own movie, and sequels to said movie that had their names on it. It all culminated in "The Avengers" which featured each of these characters. Black Widow slided in the back via "Iron Man 2", and the film itself only had to introduce Hawkeye. There was a beautiful, intricate simplicity to the way it was flowing. And then, naturally, Disney got greedy and started blowing it out of proportion.

I'm fine with "Ant Man" and "Guardians", becuase GotG is really its own thing, and to add ONE more member to the Avengers with Ant Man? That's not a tough thing to ask. "Avengers 2", however... wow. That, combined with all phase 2 movies that came before it, basically upped the ante with characters to an insane point. So that's what I would do: rely less on introducing new characters and continue with the ones we already know.

Edited by goldenstate5
  • Like 2