WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

Ant-Man will do about 160-170 domestic if it holds up in August, although MI:5 is coming in a few weeks I wonder how many is expecting that to do huge? I see Rogue Nation doing about 65 OW if this downhill slope keeps up.

I prefer to spend my time watching TV shows like Game of Thrones, True Detective or The Strain. Heard Fargo is pretty good as well. 

The first season of fargo was the best thing on tv last year. And by the looks of things I have every feeling that the second season won't true detective us.

• Like 5

Marvel isn't dead. Marvel is still rolling in profit. Next year when Civil War breaks 400m DOM and Doctor Strange breaks out people will start proclaiming Marvel as the new overlord again.

I don't think Cumberbatch has the GA appeal for DS to be a hit, and while CW is gonna do well it won't top BvS or The Avengers. The trouble with peaking early is that even your successes don't get the credit they deserve(see Ultron "flopping" for example)

I don't think Cumberbatch has the GA appeal for DS to be a hit, and while CW is gonna do well it won't top BvS or The Avengers. The trouble with peaking early is that even your successes don't get the credit they deserve(see Ultron "flopping" for example)

Happens with every franchise. DC's gonna peak with BvS, Jurassic Park just peaked again, Furious 7, etc. Especially in the age of continuous sequels, most of the big franchises have their moment and then a string of less successful followups

• Like 4

The first season of fargo was the best thing on tv last year. And by the looks of things I have every feeling that the second season won't true detective us.

I'm always shocked by all the people who talk about how much they love the prestige shows but haven't checked out Fargo. Wonderful TV

• Like 2

Just checked DM2's second weekend to see if it's more or less than Minions. It's around 43.5 million so if Minions ends up at 49-50 million it will be an OK second weekend considering DM2's first and second days before its first weekend were the July 4th holidays..

I have a feeling that the Saturday gross for Minions will be better than Friday by maybe 30%..so if that's the case it might have a shot at 50 million after all. 

18.9 (+30%)

49.8 million

No greedier than the comic book fans who want to see everything adapted to the screen. And you do realize they were setting up future phases from the mid-credit scene of TA1, right? They were already going to lead up to the Infinity Gauntlet as long as the film was a big hit.

If they focused on the same characters over and over, that would defeat the whole promise of Marvel Studios, that they would tap the huge cast of characters, that the possibilities were endless. (And they almost had to do Black Panther and Captain Marvel, or the "not enough diversity" stuff would have just gotten louder and louder.)

But you do have great points - after Avengers, it may well have been better to make everything stand-alone, have the new character outings like GOTG be truly separate, and just bring the core team together for an Avengers movie every three years.

Though would the Infinity Gauntlet stuff even be possible without interconnectivity? Maybe they could have just done all this stuff as Easter-eggs, and not actually revealed any of it was connected until the Infinity War movie proper? And I still wonder how many of these other eclectic characters would have actually gotten their own movies if the goal wasn't to establish a universe and build up to a huge cosmic crossover. Without expanding further, would we have just gotten Iron Man, Cap, and Thor sequels in between the Avengers films instead?

I think that Internet geekdom has fed this beast all along, for good or for ill.

I also think we may be seeing some of the problems of the modern comic book industry bleeding into these movies.

Absolutely, I totally understood Disney and Marvel's want to go further with the phases. However, the inter-connecting through-line got overtly complicated in an uneasy throwback to one of Spider Man 3's issues: delivering too much. And I totally agree that the comic book nerds fed them, and the audiences fed them money for awhile, but it doesn't take long for them to realize when too much is too much. 

The problem is that the execs at Marvel should've been reigned in by Disney, but nobody at Disney was wise enough to see this whole thing truly long-term. Obviously they are going, "Oh my god they are eating this stuff up! This is what it should be about!" and when Marvel asked them for more to cater to the fans, Disney was completely onboard with it because they forgot that the general audience shouldn't be trusted enough to have this much workload thrown on them for their popcorn entertainment. You can see that my main problem is with AoU, which was the epitome of the "too many cooks" syndrome. Marvel just kept shoveling more and more shit and not realizing that despite the want from fans about diversity and what not, not EVERYTHING has to be in the MCU, and not EVERYTHING has to tie right back into Avengers.

Like I said, there's a smart way of building up from Avengers 1. IM3 and Winter Soldier capably handle this, and GotG and maybe a slightly tweaked Ant Man would've been terrific standalones. Yet in the middle of all this, you have stuff unnecessarily shoved in from Thor 2, a myraid of heroes slopped in there that were supporting from the previous. It was almost like the bubble was just nearly bursting, and when Avengers 2 hit the scene... well, it burst. The marketing attempting to force everybody to watch the shows, almost with an urgent attitude also sent out a weary message even if it's not really tied into the movies... because that's the exact opposite of what the marketing said. "Watch SHIELD to understand fully the last Marvel movie you just watched!" 

It leaves a sour taste in moviegoers' mouths. The general public doesn't want to have to do "homework" on their summer blockbusters. I fully respect the wishes to do more films about Marvel superheroes... why not? They could be entertaining. But until they realize that they need to pull back a bit, it's going to just keep eroding. You can still do Infinity War and build up to it, but you also have to keep yourself in check a bit. We can't be following nearly two dozen superheroes fighting Thanos between two movies. That's insane. Comic book nerds will eat it up, I guess, but they are really starting to botch the execution of this scheme now.

• Like 1

I've started Daredevil an like it, and I'm curious about the other two but I'll probably just watch an episode or two to see if its good or not.

Daredevil is a great show. Next season will have Punisher, Elektra and more!!!!!

• Like 1

Universal should be embarassed with JWs performance. Wont even hit a 4x.

IKR? How awful is a 41% Friday to Friday drop (compared to 54% last weekend) against a $55 million opener and after losing more theaters?

Disgusting.

• Like 3