grim22

The Emoji Movie | Sony Pictures Animation | July 28 2017 | Reviews coming in, more entertaining to read those than watch the movie. Current consensus: " 🎥 ➡️ 💩💩💩💩"

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

After the LEGO movie and Angry Birds' success this concept surely sounded like it had a lot of potential for the studios. It actually had potential imho, I guess they just needed a better creative team.

They bid on it after the LEGO movie but prior to Angry Birds (which wasn't a resounding success, by any means, just a decent one).

I personally don't remember ever being optimistic about it, it felt like a step too far from other similar concept animations.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

The Emoji Movie will cause long term damage to Sony Pictures Animation, most studios can survive a critical dud but something as badly reviewed as this will hurt their next few films like The Star and that one doesn't look great to begin with

Yeah, it ain't going to be The Star. I don't think a movie about the nativity with a bird twerking is going to do wonders.

That means it'll fall on Hotel Transylvania 3. 

Just now, Yandereprime101189 said:

Yeah, it ain't going to be The Star. I don't think a movie about the nativity with a bird twerking is going to do wonders.

That means it'll fall on Hotel Transylvania 3. 

They have Peter Rabbit but that's going to do modest business at best. 

• Like 1

HT3 and Spider-Man animated will be their biggest hits in a while. If Lord/Miller delivers another classic, $200M/$400M seems solid, HT3 will likely have a KFP3 drop.

9 minutes ago, MrGamer2558 said:

After 29 reviews, The Emoji Movie finally has a fresh review. Betsy Bozdech from Common Sense Media has broken the streak. Thanks Betsy. :depp:

Even that positive review calls it meh.

12 hours ago, rjones1325 said:

Saw this last night at one of the 3 screenings that were shown across country.

20375617_1781731041867700_73344750577483

In some alternative universe, we all could've been watching the Genndy Tartakovsky Popeye movie that was supposed to come out instead of this, but God has forsaken us and left us with a fucking Emoji Movie instead. 

HERES MY REVIEW:

https://rendyreviews.com/movies//the-emoji-movie-review

Actually they canned Popeye before the Emoji auction that WAG and Paramount Animation entered in.

3 minutes ago, goldenstate5 said:

It took over Popeye's budget and slate.

Actually... Gendy left the project March 2015, Emoji was bought in an auction during July 2015 against Warner Bros and Paramount meaning in an alternate reality, Emoji Movie could have been a Warner Animation movie or a Paramount Animation/Nickelodeon movie.

Man, I have not seen a film have such entertaining reviews since Uwe Boll was at the height of his notoriety. The Emoji Movie has inspired critics to their best efforts.

This is one of those movies that is not just a flop.but a major humiliation for the studio.Sony execs should just eat at home or send out this weekend;if they go into the trendy popular Hollywood restaurants they are going to get laughed at by the execs of other studios.

• Like 1