grim22

The Emoji Movie | Sony Pictures Animation | July 28 2017 | Reviews coming in, more entertaining to read those than watch the movie. Current consensus: " 🎥 ➡️ 💩💩💩💩"

I think SPA are lucky that Smurfs, Cloudy and HT have been successful because I think they would have closed years ago. I have read from the Sony hack e-mails that they have a reputation for not being great to work for. Miller and Lord turned down the chance to be part of a brain trust for SPA because of this. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, goldenstate5 said:

It's about smiley faces. Inside a Smartphone. Inside Apps.

Until I see a trailer proving otherwise, I just can't get behind this. Too far.

Wreck-It Ralph was about video game characters. Inside video games. Inside video game arcade consoles.

This may still be shit but not for the reasons given above.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Wreck-It Ralph was about video game characters. Inside video games. Inside video game arcade consoles.

This may still be shit but not for the reasons given above.

Video games have characters and worlds. Most apps do not. Emojis are not characters.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the people saying "there's no way this can be good!" are just showcasing a lack of imagination. that said i'm not really a fan of SPA's work thus far so whatevs.

Yeah. It's sorta sad that we've reached the point where we are now making movies about emojis, but honestly it could be awful or it could be great. You could never have told me an advert/movie based on Lego would have been decent 5 years ago. This might work.

Edited by AJG

What can this movie possibly be about? A world of emojis where emojis are summoned to phones when users type them? But one emoji tries to break free because doing what others tell you to do is boring? So he/she tries to escape that world to find greater meaning to his existence as an emoji? 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, mrqe93 said:

What can this movie possibly be about? A world of emojis where emojis are summoned to phones when users type them? But one emoji tries to break free because doing what others tell you to do is boring? So he/she tries to escape that world to find greater meaning to his existence as an emoji? 

Congrats, you're a Hollywood writer.

• Like 2

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/frowny-face-sony-pictures-faces-898523?utm_source=twitter

Frowny Face: Sony Pictures Faces Legal Spat Over 'The Emoji Movie'

The studio is going full speed ahead on the film dated for 2017. Only problem: A former video game executive who lives in Germany might have all the merchandise trademarks for it.

Marco Husges was on vacation in Croatia in 2013 when inspiration struck. "For some reason, 'emoji' came into my mind," says the German former video game executive. So he was the first to file for commercial trademarks for the word around the world in a first-come, first-served competition. (Emoji were created by mobile-phone operators in Japan in the late 1990s.)

Husges, 45, doesn't own the rights to the wildly popular digital icons on phones and social media, but as founder of The Emoji Co., he also created more than 3,000 of his own icons and trademarked and licensed them for use on an array of merchandise. Husges also trademarked such titles as "emojiplanet" and "emojitown."

So Husges says he was surprised when Sony Pictures Animation announced The Emoji Movie, dated for August 2017. Sony, which just released The Angry Birds film based on the mobile game, bought the project last summer based on a pitch by Eric Siegel and Anthony Leondis; the latter is to direct with Michelle Raimo Kouyate producing.

In October, Sony filed applications for dozens of trademarks in connection with its project, but those were rejected in February. Yet on April 12, Sony Pictures Animation president Kristine Belson talked up The Emoji Movie to theater owners at CinemaCon. "Inside your phone, there's a secret world … Emoji Valley, where the industrious Emoji live and work," she said.

7 hours ago, grim22 said:

Just because their trademarks were rejected doesn't mean the other guy's trademarks stand, if the word 'emojis' was in the public domain for a decade before the German guy 'trademarked' them.

IMHO

• Like 1