Gopher

Wednesday #s: Minions 5.17M, Ant-Man 5.1M, TW 3.3M, IO 1.5M, JW 1.3M

My only requisite for a movie passing TITANIC is that I like it.

So...

Jurassic World won't pass Titanic. Not because you didn't like it, simply because it won't do it. It doesn't have enough left in the tank to squeeze past Cameron's movie. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

Maybe it's because I'm an adjusted for inflation/tickets sold whore. Maybe it's because I was old enough to follow Titanic's original run. All I know is whenever I read "pass Titanic", I cringe. 

me too.. I follow adjusted alos

• Like 1

I had watched Titanic in India. It made 50+ crores INR (8-9m USD) in India in 1997 or 1998. That's before India had multiplexes and ticket prices were very cheap. Today for big movies it can be 5-8 USD at multiplexes of major cities on opening weekend. I had watched it for 0.5 USD (the price varies a lot, theater to theater and city to city. Even today one can watch movies for <1 USD). That 50 crores is an insane number for it's time. Had made it to top 3 biggest films ever which is amazing considering the small release it got compared to Indian movies. The reporting was not proper then and they probably just gave a round figure.

Edited by a2k

I've said it before but Jurassic World NEEDS to pass Titanic, just think of all the jokes and trolling material it would give.  GO BLUE AND INDOMINUS REX!

Yes, I would have liked this as well :lol: Trolling for the ages for sure. But in the end I don't care. All I cared was if it was going to pass Avengers or not, and that is locked.

I've said it before but Jurassic World NEEDS to pass Titanic, just think of all the jokes and trolling material it would give.  GO BLUE AND INDOMINUS REX!

It will crumble before it passes Titanic.

• Like 1

If history tells us anything, JW2 is going to be another TDKR or AoU and in that same summer, a different film will break out and do 550+. Then that movie is going to get a sequel in 2021 and the cycle will keep going.

• Like 4

If history tells us anything, JW2 is going to be another TDKR or AoU and in that same summer, a different film will break out and do 550+. Then that movie is going to get a sequel in 2021 and the cycle will keep going.

I was thinking the same thing.

JW2 will certainly do well, but it's not going to break the OW record or anything like that.

Why the negativity towards BDH? She and Pratt made a great team. If the producers want her back, I bet it's because they assess that her presence was one of the several aspects that helped create the overall JW experience. I am glad that they want her back.

• Like 3

JW2 will certainly do well, but it's not going to break the OW record or anything like that.[/quote

For sure. Completely agree. It will probably decrease slightly in OW (maybe the 175-180 range) but it won't have the legs of the first.

JW2 will certainly do well, but it's not going to break the OW record or anything like that.

depends really, if it proves to be a much better film than the first then it will definitely do better. Most sequels these days fall short of their predecessors and thus their box office gross suffers with it. 

depends really, if it proves to be a much better film than the first then it will definitely do better. Most sequels these days fall short of their predecessors and thus their box office gross suffers with it.

Sure, but it wasn't quality that got Avengets and JW the legs they did. Sure, they both were pretty good movies, but (like Ted for another example) the legs came from the novelty.

Better film does not always translate to higher gross. Sometimes the first is a singular phenomenon even if the sequel is received as being a "better" movie. And sometimes the "better" sequel is not received as resoundingly by the GA. Spider-Man 2 says hi.

I think is going to drop no matter what. Still going to do well, but it will drop. And we'll all act shocked about it. Again.

Edited by TServo2049