FilmBuff

Thursday #s (Rth): Minions 4.8M, Ant-Man 4.6M, TW 3.1M, IO 1.4M, JW 1.26M

Seems to be a roughly 10% drop for all movies. Wonder how much Thursday previews had an effect.

Paper Towns probably earned around 2.1-4.0 million in previews while Pixels only earned around 1.5 million in previews. These are just projections(from myself)not actual numbers.

(quietly pointing out Minions is on track for another 50%+ drop and has fallen behind DM2 dailies for the first time)

Man toxic wom RIGHT? lol lol lol 'crumbling'

Edited by Gopher

Looks like AntMan will have the 55-58% drop as most other Marvel movies..

I really hoped for better with this..

Looks like 57/148 now

it depends on next week's dailies. I'm thinking about 155 million if it drops big.
  • Like 1

Man, the Minions haters here.

DM2 opened on a 5-day holiday weekend and grossed 143 million in these 5 days. 

Minions, which had a 3-day non holiday weekend, fell 4% behind it for the first day in its 14 day gross but is around the same amount as is DM2 in 14 days (despite being not a sequel but a spinoff).

Assuming it keeps falling, it will cross 330 or 330+ million to be among the top 10 highest DOM animated films of all time. And with OS, it will do better and may be the top animated film WW of the year.

Crumbling? Flop? 

Seriously.

• Like 5

I read that Nix Pix thing headline 7 times and I still don't understand it.

:lol:

So, did some investigating.

Using a form of headlinese that the newspaper called slanguage, "Sticks Nix Hick Pix" means that people in rural areas ("the sticks") reject ("nix") motion pictures ("pix") about rural life ("hicks"). The conventional wisdom of the movie industry was that themes of upper-class life would not be popular in the countryside; according to the article, this assumption was incorrect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sticks_nix_hick_pix

So Mojo's "Flix Crix Nix Pix-els?" => "Film Critics Reject Pixels"

:sherlock:

• Like 1

Does good word of mouth usually kick in this soon?

I guess it's possible. I think mediocre word of mouth kicked in for Minions fairly quick.

Minions is tracking almost 3 million a day under Inside Out for the last couple of days and was tracking a million under for 5 days before that.

Minions 2nd week is very similar to Inside Outs 3rd week daily numbers.

Anyone have an explanation for this, for a movie that opened so gigantic? It can't just be bad word of mouth can it?

I don't get it. And please don't anyone get upset or offended. I'm not saying it isn't doing well. I just can't figure such a massive opening and it's 1st week dailies until Thursday were huge. What gives?

Edited by Planodisney

Does good word of mouth usually kick in this soon?

I guess it's possible. I think mediocre word of mouth kicked in for Minions fairly quick.

Minions is tracking almost 3 million a day under Inside Out for the last couple of days and was tracking a million under for 5 days before that.

Minions 2nd week is very similar to Inside Outs 3rd week daily numbers.

Anyone have an explanation for this, for a movie that opened so gigantic? It can't just be bad word of mouth can it?

I don't get it. And please don't anyone get upset or offended. I'm not saying it isn't doing well. I just can't figure such a massive opening and it's 1st week dailies until Thursday were huge. What gives?

I would explain the drops as front loadedness rather than bad WOM.

Looking at the Dark Knight Rises, it dropped 62% on first weekend and 50% on second weekend and these drops were due to fans rushing to see it asap rather than the movie having toxic WOM.

I would also compare DM2 (very well received) and Minions which seem to have have an identical performance despite DM2 opening on a much bigger 5-day holiday weekend.

So my interpretation for this is more frontloadedness than DM2 (due to marketing) and good WOM that makes it hold better than Shrek 3 for instance which dropped harder from day 4 onwards.

• Like 4

I would explain the drops as front loadedness rather than bad WOM.

Looking at the Dark Knight Rises, it dropped 62% on first weekend and 50% on second weekend and these drops were due to fans rushing to see it asap rather than the movie having toxic WOM.

I would also compare DM2 (very well received) and Minions which seem to have have an identical performance despite DM2 opening on a much bigger 5-day holiday weekend.

So my interpretation for this is more frontloadedness than DM2 (due to marketing) and good WOM that makes it hold better than Shrek 3 for instance which dropped harder from day 4 onwards.

Folks also expected DoFP to have better 2nd and 3rd weekend drops compared to X3 due to it's great wom. But even it dropped 63%+ and 54%+ in weekend 2 and 3.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=xmen2014.htm

It later recovered.

Maybe Minions won't recover like that, because it's wom is not like DoFP or IO, but it's still doing fine. Certainly don't see toxic wom. Minions marketing was insane. It's looking at a 49-51% drop, which with summer weekdays is fair considering the big numbers it has put up.

DM2 added 117m more after it's Thrusday before the 3rd weekend. Minions needs 90m more to get 330m. Even it falls behind more, 100m more should happen for 340m.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2

Folks also expected DoFP to have better 2nd and 3rd weekend drops compared to X3 due to it's great wom. But even it dropped 63%+ and 54%+ in weekend 2 and 3.

It later recovered.

Maybe Minions won't recover like that, because it's wom is not like DoFP or IO, but it's still doing fine. Certainly don't see toxic wom. Minions marketing was insane. It's looking at a 49-51% drop, which with summer weekdays is fair considering the big numbers it has put up.

DM2 added 117m more after it's Thrusday before the 3rd weekend. Minions needs 90m more to get 330m. Even it falls behind more, 100m more should happen for 340m.

Agreed.

330-340 range DOM for it seems to be about right if it falls more than DM2 from now on. Which means it will be around 30 millions less than DM2 - even some sequels couldn't be that close to their predecessor let alone a spinoff! (which means good WOM).

TDK was 90 million behind TDK, Shrek 3 was 120 million Shrek 2, Shrek 4 was 100 million behind Shrek 3, AoU is 160 million beind TA etc. 

• Like 1

It later recovered.

Looking at 2014, Apes got a 50% drop in 2nd weekend and still didn't manage a 3X multiplier. Really strange box office run for that movie. Looked like an easy 3.25x post 2nd weekend.

• Like 1

Looking at 2014, Apes got a 50% drop in 2nd weekend and still didn't manage a 3X multiplier. Really strange box office run for that movie. Looked like an easy 3.25x post 2nd weekend.

True. When all the big movies were dropping big in the 2nd weekend, Apes held better than even Maleficent in 2nd weekend, and then never had a good hold for the most of it's run.

Edited by a2k