FilmBuff

Thursday #s (Rth): Minions 4.8M, Ant-Man 4.6M, TW 3.1M, IO 1.4M, JW 1.26M

Minions doesn't have good word of mouth in the U.S. That's just a fact. However, it definitely doesn't have toxic word of mouth either.

Superhero movies have huge drops and particularly movies like DKR that don't have the good WOM of their predecessor, TDK.

Toy Story 3 had virtually the same opening as Minions and went on to have insane holds for weeks despite a front loaded first weekend.

A front loaded movie only becomes front loaded if the crowds don't continue to flock to the theater to see it, making its opening a larger percent of its gross. I think Minions holds will level off after it's 3rd week and 320-330 will be no problem. I have a feeling it might get back on track this weekend and even jump over Inside Outs 3rd weekend with the muted July 4th weekend it had. If it can do 30 million or more then I think 350 will still be in play.

Yeah I think Disney will fudge it to get over 350 at this point if necessary. It'll definitely be the #2 Pixar unadjusted by the end of its run which is (pardon the pun) mindblowing.

Folks include Titanic's 3D release when talking about it's gross. I think it's fair to include Nemo's 3D gross too considering current movies have that advantage. So IO will cross 350 imo, and end up 3rd on the Pixar list which is great.

• Like 1

Folks include Titanic's 3D release when talking about it's gross. I think it's fair to include Nemo's 3D gross too considering current movies have that advantage. So IO will cross 350 imo, and end up 3rd on the Pixar list which is great.

Yeah, it's weird that BOM adds rerelease to everymovie's total gross except for Pixar's movies ( BOM invented "Domestic Lifetime Gross" )

Edited by bladels

Yeah I think Disney will fudge it to get over 350 at this point if necessary. It'll definitely be the #2 Pixar unadjusted by the end of its run which is (pardon the pun) mindblowing.

Please anyone enlighten me, is it true about this theory of FUDGE and how studios can escape with such hideous methods?  Sorry my bad English!!!

They can get away with because most people don't follow box office trends

Thanks, but let us not forget about those numbers being involved in taxes, revenue, producers, profit/write down and many other factors. I mean there is some kind of control!!!! right?

Im on my phone and working so i cant but a quick example is when a studio has a double feature playing and they count money towards both films even though one regular price is being paid.

• Like 3

Im on my phone and working so i cant but a quick example is when a studio has a double feature playing and they count money towards both films even though one regular price is being paid.

They still have to take money from somewhere to pay for that.

Studio's finance is public after its IPO. If their total earning doesn't match their report, there will be a problem.

Jurassic World is the most surprising run in the entire Box office history.

I wouldn't go that far. It's an amazing performance and definitely unexpected, but I would think Titanic, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, and Avatar are at least three films with a more surprising run. No one in the world could have expected Titanic to pull off a 20 multiplier or Avatar a 10 multiplier. Greek Wedding never even really had a wide release but ended up way over $200m and this was 13 years ago.

• Like 4