FilmBuff

Thursday #s (Rth): Minions 4.8M, Ant-Man 4.6M, TW 3.1M, IO 1.4M, JW 1.26M

That's a no.

*one of the most

I am saying this because it was a blockbuster, destined to make money. One among many in the assembly line that didn't stand out at all on paper.

It had no novelty factor whatsoever, it had a premise everyone knew, things everyone already saw.

There were absolutely no reason to expect it could break out this big, on this massive scale.

FF7 had reasons.

American Sniper, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, the first Hangover,Ted all these movies, you couldn't predict their breakout but it was their nature to surprise us if you know what I mean.

Edited by The Futurist

Does good word of mouth usually kick in this soon?

I guess it's possible. I think mediocre word of mouth kicked in for Minions fairly quick.

Minions is tracking almost 3 million a day under Inside Out for the last couple of days and was tracking a million under for 5 days before that.

Minions 2nd week is very similar to Inside Outs 3rd week daily numbers.

Anyone have an explanation for this, for a movie that opened so gigantic? It can't just be bad word of mouth can it?

I don't get it. And please don't anyone get upset or offended. I'm not saying it isn't doing well. I just can't figure such a massive opening and it's 1st week dailies until Thursday were huge. What gives?

It doesn't have bad Wom. It's just front loaded, as DM2 was as well.
  • Like 3

I am saying this because it was a blockbuster, destined to make money. One among many in the assembly line that didn't stand out at all on paper.

It had no novelty factor whatsoever, it had a premise everyone knew, things everyone already saw.

There were absolutely no reason to expect it could break out this big, on this massive scale.

FF7 had reasons.

American Sniper, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, the first Hangover,Ted all these movies, you couldn't predict their breakout but it was their nature to surprise us if you know what I mean.

Except it did have a novelty factor and very few realized it. For whatever reason, Universal seems to have a death grip on the dinosaur genre. Other studios pretty much stay away from the idea. It hasn't been run into the ground like other concepts through the years. So the fact they waited 14 years to make this movie created plenty of novelty factor.

• Like 1

Except it did have a novelty factor and very few realized it. For whatever reason, Universal seems to have a death grip on the dinosaur genre. Other studios pretty much stay away from the idea. It hasn't been run into the ground like other concepts through the years. So the fact they waited 14 years to make this movie created plenty of novelty factor.

I am sorry, I just don't see it, even retrospectively.

But the scope of JW s success confuses me so ...

Well, JW certainly was the most shocking box office run I witnessed myself.

Not only did it exceed expectations greatly, but it also exceeded them to such a degree that it broke all types of records nobody even had it in contention for.

I guess Titanic was probably more shocking at its time, but I wasn't there to follow it.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's weird that BOM adds rerelease to everymovie's total gross except for Pixar's movies ( BOM invented "Domestic Lifetime Gross" )

They do

21 Frozen BV $400,738,009 2013
22 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 WB $381,011,219 2011
23 Finding Nemo BV $380,843,261 2003^
24 Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith Fox $380,270,577 2005^
25 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King NL $377,845,905 2003^

More interesting than that though is that movies that are scheduled and then unscheduled stay in the database, so Sith has the ^ next to it despite the rerelease never going ahead.

Well, JW certainly was the most shocking box office run I witnessed myself.

Not only did it exceed expectations greatly, but it also exceeded them to such a degree that it broke all types of records nobody even had it in contention for.

I guess Titanic was probably more shocking at its time, but I wasn't there to follow it.

But like I said, it was in Titanic s DNA to surprise, it s very easy to see why Titanic was such a behemoth.

JW was just number 4 in an almost forgotten franchise in a world where we see CGI monsters (TF4 had freaking dinos last year) every year.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

Titanic was expected to lose money because of 200M budget and it made 600M in its original run.

Cameron said it himself before the movie s release :" The studio will loose 100m on Titanic and I can't do nothing about it".

They do

21 Frozen BV $400,738,009 2013 22 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 WB $381,011,219 2011 23 Finding Nemo BV $380,843,261 2003^ 24 Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith Fox $380,270,577 2005^ 25 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King NL $377,845,905 2003^

More interesting than that though is that movies that are scheduled and then unscheduled stay in the database, so Sith has the ^ next to it despite the rerelease never going ahead.

Just for that all time chart

It's not added in here: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=pixar.htm

Or in any showdowns such as: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=animationalltime.htm

I wouldn't go that far. It's an amazing performance and definitely unexpected, but I would think Titanic, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, and Avatar are at least three films with a more surprising run. No one in the world could have expected Titanic to pull off a 20 multiplier or Avatar a 10 multiplier. Greek Wedding never even really had a wide release but ended up way over $200m and this was 13 years ago.

Yeah, the only correct answer to the "surprising" question is MBFGW.

Both Titanic and Cameron behind them, Jurassic World had a virtual unknown in Trevorrow, Jurassic World is the most surprising.

JW's trailer has 3M more views in 1 week than AOU's trailer. I wouldn't call it unknown.

It doesn't have bad Wom. It's just front loaded, as DM2 was as well. I wouldn't call DM2 front loadedhttp://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=despicableme2.htm
47% drop from a hugely decreased OW is not exactly great. Are you forgetting that DM2 opened on Wednesday? It made like 40% of its gross in its extended opening weekend. It's a major franchise so it is front loaded. Simple as that.

So, and it exceeded expectations by over $600M worldwide.

Again, Titanic was expected to lose money ( base on its budget, it's expected to make less than 400M ), and it made $1.8B WW.

That means it exceeded expectations by over $1.4B unadjusted.

I didn't say JW's run is surprising, i said it's not the most surprising.

Edited by bladels
  • Like 1