Crunching the Numbers: 10th Year Spectacular

The Wedding Prey

The casting issues have already been talked about, so no need to go into them here. The rest of the film is by-the-numbers at best and hammeringly unsubtle at worst.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: The Adventure Begins

The animated spinoff to the live-action series will be very dense for newcomers to the franchise, but for those familiar or for those who like strange animals with various powers it'll be a fun ride.

Oh, and obvious sequel bait.

B+

The Raven Boys

John Green, Ethan Hunt CAYOM Style. So an interesting enough mystical urban fantasy plot crowded out by some incredibly insufferable characters. The ending doesn't seem to fit any of the buildup in the rest of the movie.

Shia LaBeouf: The Movie

Uh.....Make it rated R at least Beef Man

Well god damn it :lol: The characters were supposed to be the strong point of that one.

The characters sounded like 40-year old pseudo-intellectual malcontents from Williamsburg, NY

Edited by 4815162342

The characters sounded like 40-year old pseudo-intellectual malcontents from Williamsburg, NY

I'm guessing you probably wouldn't have liked the book its based on either then (considering like 80% of the dialogue is is straight out of the book)

A Love Worth Killing For

Several standout sequences and zany offerings, but also a fair amount of whiffs. If anything the film probably needed less standard criminal conspiracy plot and just focus more on the idea of a dead-end town being a lot more than Chan-Jen bargained for.

• Like 1

The Lazy River War

This has an R rating because? There goes about half of the smallish audience for this movie.

C

City Launcher/World Builder

So it's like Tomorrowland, only less happens, less speechifying, and a poorly thought-out choice for a main character.

C-

Runaway Man

It's got a great mood and style to it that helps cover up the pretty thin plot and characters.

B

• Like 1

Terminal Red

Some very creepy and eerie atmospheric moments with a couple strong jump scares and gore shocks, but the rest of the film is kinda mediocre at best with regards to the setup, characters, and payoff.

C

Attack of the Movies

Attack of the mediocre movie.

C-

On the Record

Clever staging of the songs, effective sound mixing and creative imagery. Sure the characters and plot are bubblegum pop, but it's still a fun film that should attract across a few different demos.

B

• Like 2

The Throne of Fire

Props to Alpha for not writing as insanely long a summary as he did for The Red Pyramid. The exposition and scenes of ponderous travel have been mercifully trimmed, though the final act feels insanely rushed and ends abruptly. So a trade-off I guess.

B-

The Parade

Some pretty funny bits, though other segments don't quite work. Damon is good at the earnest goofball kind of role so I'd have liked to see the film feature him more rather than the family of non-raunch language subplot.

C+

The Pixies in the Backyard

Harmless family fantasy that will appeal to the kids and not bore adults to sleep.

C+

• Like 3

Forty-Five Seconds of Glory

Very by-the-numbers inspirational sports film that spends more time about the message than about story or characters. Owens doesn't get a definition other than his race and as a result feels more like a cardboard cutout shuffled from scene to scene.

C

Sam Smith: Stay with Me

Apparently this is the male Adele. Only not as good as Adele. Competently made I suppose.

C+

2 Sharkz

No.

F

• Like 1

Run and Gun 2

Run and Gun Harder.

B

My Favorite Scientists

Good in broad strokes, but the film's plot and characterization seems awkwardly halfway between a kid film and one for grown-ups.

C+/B-

The Girl in the Red Dress

A little bit of mood and atmosphere, but then the final 10 minutes spin into crazy hyperbolic histrionics.

C-

Fin

• Like 1

On 10/18/2015, 5:42:00, 4815162342 said:

My Favorite Scientists

Good in broad strokes, but the film's plot and characterization seems awkwardly halfway between a kid film and one for grown-ups.

C+/B-

That's because it's two scripts (each written in about an hour and a half) merged together at the last minute. One was for kids, the other adults. Your criticism is completely valid.

• Like 1