Rorschach

CAYOM Y10 Positivity Scale Thread

Essentially CAYOM'S own Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic. All movie reviews will be adjusted to a certain score which will give everyone a good idea as to what everyone, collectively, thought of their movie. It also helps as a good database to see which films have a good chance of striking Oscar gold and which do not.

(Films ranked from best to worst/release date)

1. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney- Part 2- 92% (Feb 7) (Certified Fresh)

2. E.S.P.- 90% (Mar 27) (Certified Fresh)

3. Kensington- 90% (Apr 24) (Certied Fresh)

4. Ciaphas Cain- 88% (Apr 17) (Certified Fresh)

5. Crusader- 88% (Apr 10) (Certified Fresh)

6. The Good, the Bad, and the Mechanical- 73% (Jan 17)

7. Heads or Tails- 72% (Jan 3)

8. MST3K: Expedecade- 71% (Apr 24)

9. Second to Singapore- 68% (Mar 13)

10. Timmy's Winter Vacation- 63% (Jan 24)

11. Jurassic Knights- 63% (Mar 6)

12. Black Friday- 62% (Mar 6)

13. Daisy Lemonade- 59% (Apr 17)

14. Russian Roulette- 53% (Apr 3)

15. On a Mountain- 52% (Mar 20)

16. The Call of the Revenant- 42% (Jan 10)

17. 1989- 35% (Jan 31)

18. Rhino Riders- 35% (Mar 13)

19. The Cube- 31% (Jan 3)

20. Ophidophobia - 29% (Jan 31)

21. Two Lonely Zookeepers- 26% (Jan 17)

22. The Executioner- 21% (Feb 28)

23. That Was a Long Time Ago- 21% (Feb 14)

24. Moses- 19% (Feb 14)

25. The Disappointment- 8% (Feb 21)

Edited by Cheese

Rorschach the critical consensus thread doesnt try to approximate RT or Metacritic. It ranks films based on their point value from member lists.

And also, everyone here would have to give every film a letter or number grade AND agree on how to convert letter grades to numbers in order for a RT or MC-like idea to work.

Edited by 4815162342

Rorschach the critical consensus thread doesnt try to approximate RT or Metacritic. It ranks films based on their point value from member lists.

And also, everyone here would have to give every film a letter or number grade AND agree on how to convert letter grades to numbers in order for a RT or MC-like idea to work.

I did this for Year 9 and it worked out fine. Also, I did make a conversion scale for letter grades last year. I just don't feel like reposting the scale to this new thread because I'm currently typing on my phone and it takes forever to type something up.

But it is all based on how you weigh them, not a method adopted by all. And not everyone uses grades so you end up guesstimating for them.

So I still have doubts about this being an official index.

• Like 1

But it is all based on how you weigh them, not a method adopted by all. And not everyone uses grades so you end up guesstimating for them.

So I still have doubts about this being an official index.

That's fine. I don't expect anyone to agree with the scores or the way I weigh them. Its just at the moment, I can't think of any other way to weigh them other than the way I currently have it.

So if you have any ideas on how I can improve the way I go about weighing the scales, I'm up for hearing them.

And here... We...go with January results.

January

Heads or Tails- 72%

The Cube- 31%

The Call of the Revenant- 42%

The Good, the Bad, and the Mechanical- 73%

Two Lonely Zookeepers- 26%

Timmy's Winter Vacation- 63%

1989- 35%

Ophidophobia- 29%

These numbers will be updated when more reviews come in. As of now, these are their current ratings.

Edited by Cheese
  • Like 1

Updated January scores. Now we only have two fresh films instead of three.

I'm waiting until more reviews come in to post February results. At least until Numbers finishes up January.

I'm going to go by the order I read them down the page, to make it easier for me.

Now for February results. Yikes, one good film apparently and it is thankfully certified fresh!

February

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney- Part 2- 92% (Certified Fresh)

Moses- 19%

That Was a Long Time Ago- 21%

The Executioner- 21%

The Disappointment- 8%

Edited by Cheese

Thanks to Rukaio, we have at least three reviews for every movie in March. And you know what that means...

March

Black Friday- 62%

Jurassic Knights- 63%

Rhino Riders- 35%

Second to Singapore- 68%

On a Mountain- 52%

E.S.P.- 90% (Certified Fresh!)

Edited by Cheese

And the Best month of the Year award goes to... well, probably not April but if I had to give it out now, I'd give it to April. Good job guys.

Russian Roulette- 52%

Crusader- 88% (Certified Fresh)

Ciaphas Cain- 88% (Certified Fresh)

Daisy Lemonade- 59%

MST3K: Expedecade- 71%

Kensington- 90% (Certified Fresh)

Crusader and Cain have identical scores (88% as of late Thursday) so I'm just going to rank them in alphabetical order for the time being.

Edited by Cheese

If you don't mind me asking what is the formula you're using to get the percentages?

I can't really put it into words but I think using an example might help.

Ex. E.S.P. so far has at least three reviews. Of those three reviews, all of them rated the movie positively. Three positive reviews = 100%. Then I look more closely at the actual scores. One 'A' and two 'B+s'. An A is basically the equivelant of a 92% (11/12) and B+ is essentially 75% (9/12). 92 + 75 + 75 = 80.7 (rounded up from 80.66 repeating). 80.7 + 100 = 90.35. Round that up and you get 90.4% or 90%.

Hopefully that clears some things up regarding the scores.

• Like 1

I can't really put it into words but I think using an example might help.

Ex. E.S.P. so far has at least three reviews. Of those three reviews, all of them rated the movie positively. Three positive reviews = 100%. Then I look more closely at the actual scores. One 'A' and two 'B+s'. An A is basically the equivelant of a 92% (11/12) and B+ is essentially 75% (9/12). 92 + 75 + 75 = 80.7 (rounded up from 80.66 repeating). 80.7 + 100 = 90.35. Round that up and you get 90.4% or 90%.

Hopefully that clears some things up regarding the scores.

Wait, so you give them averages based on grades and based on positive/negative split, and then average those?

Just do a straight grade-to-point conversion and call it a day. Hell, just use the metacritic scale.