Rorschach

CAYOM Y10 Positivity Scale Thread

I can't really put it into words but I think using an example might help.

Ex. E.S.P. so far has at least three reviews. Of those three reviews, all of them rated the movie positively. Three positive reviews = 100%. Then I look more closely at the actual scores. One 'A' and two 'B+s'. An A is basically the equivelant of a 92% (11/12) and B+ is essentially 75% (9/12). 92 + 75 + 75 = 80.7 (rounded up from 80.66 repeating). 80.7 + 100 = 90.35. Round that up and you get 90.4% or 90%.

Hopefully that clears some things up regarding the scores.

Thanks for the clarification

• Like 1

Wait, so you give them averages based on grades and based on positive/negative split, and then average those?

Just do a straight grade-to-point conversion and call it a day. Hell, just use the metacritic scale.

The scale is similar to the Metacritic scale.

A+ = 100%

A = 92%

A- = 83%

B+ = 75%

B = 67%

B- = 58%

C+ = 50%

C = 42%

C- = 33%

D+ = 25%

D = 17%

D- = 8%

F = 0%

The only difference is some shuffling of the numbers. And who the hell gives a film an F+ or an F-?! I checked the conversion scale and apparently, those two ratings actually exist.

The scale is similar to the Metacritic scale.

A+ = 100%

A = 92%

A- = 83%

B+ = 75%

B = 67%

B- = 58%

C+ = 50%

C = 42%

C- = 33%

D+ = 25%

D = 17%

D- = 8%

F = 0%

The only difference is some shuffling of the numbers. And who the hell gives a film an F+ or an F-?! I checked the conversion scale and apparently, those two ratings actually exist.

A C should be 50% (like with Metacritic), as a C means absolutely average in every way.

Edited by 4815162342

I know we don't see eye-to-eye on this but I personally want to hear from everyone else first before I make a decision on whether or not to change the scale.

My main problem is your doubling up.

So if a film gets 4 Bs and 1 A, it gets a score of X percent. But then, since all 5 reviews are positive, you add 100 to X and then divide by 2, giving it a new and artificially inflated score of Y that does not represent how the reviews as a whole actually were.

My main problem is your doubling up.

So if a film gets 4 Bs and 1 A, it gets a score of X percent. But then, since all 5 reviews are positive, you add 100 to X and then divide by 2, giving it a new and artificially inflated score of Y that does not represent how the reviews as a whole actually were.

I see your point. Yeah, I think I'm in the wrong on this. I'll change it up here at some point later tonight.

But, should I keep the conversion scale or change it for good?

To be fair though, Metacritic is not a perfect rating system either. They "...assign more importance, or weight, to some critics and publications than others based on their quality and overall structure." Something about that just doesn't sit right with me. It's basically saying that some people's opinions are more important than others.

No wonder Boyhood has that perfect 100 rating.

I see your point. Yeah, I think I'm in the wrong on this. I'll change it up here at some point later tonight.

But, should I keep the conversion scale or change it for good?

I would just use the metacritic one. My personal scale is pretty similar, though I give an A a 9.7 instead of a 10. And I just have F which is 0. And a couple other grades are a decimal point higher or lower.

• Like 1

To be fair though, Metacritic is not a perfect rating system either. They "...assign more importance, or weight, to some critics and publications than others based on their quality and overall structure." Something about that just doesn't sit right with me. It's basically saying that some people's opinions are more important than others.

No wonder Boyhood has that perfect 100 rating.

But that is irrelevant to my suggestion of using their conversion scale.

I would just use the metacritic one. My personal scale is pretty similar, though I give an A a 9.7 instead of a 10. And I just have F which is 0. And a couple other grades are a decimal point higher or lower.

Could you show us your rating scale? I would kind of like to see it. I could maybe use it for the official grading scale.