K1stpierre

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (2015)

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

Loved it. Set pieces were great. MI:RN was more like MI first part with some humour element in it. 

GP was total fun but this movie has a serious theme. Cast was great infact at their best everone did really well 

Rebecca Ferguson is a revelation. TC was great serious this guy has BALLZZZZZ to do such dangerous stunts, Renner Ving Alec Pegg were good too.

Sean harris was better than GP villain. BGM was superbb sets in tone with the mood of the film.... 

Yes, this part is not as good as GP but id say its close to GP.

4/5 A 

Eagerly waiting for #MI6 

MI series: 4,5,1,3,2

• Like 1

Went rogue as fuck on a Wednesday night, and for the most part enjoyed every damn minute of it.

My viewing progression with the MI films hasn't quite turned out the way I had hoped.  I am still waiting on MI3 and MI4 to arrive from Netflix, so I ultimately can't make comparisons in the way I had hoped.  As such, this review will simply try to convey the thoughts pertaining to my viewing last night.  Specifically, this is a solid piece of popcorn entertainment from a franchise that is quickly becoming the flag-holder of popcorn cinema.

It seems at this point that these films seem to center their plot around another IMF banishment.  Much like Ghost Protocol, the IMF team is forced to work off the grid, but in this instance they have been discontinued and absorbed by the CIA.  Naturally, Ethan doesn't give a damn, and lives life as a fugitive while trying to gather information on the syndicate.  What follows is a sharp and slick spy offering that thrives on the tricks it has up its sleeve.

For a big summer blockbuster, this is a franchise that attains a large part of its goodwill by way of its characters.  Ethan Hunt is a household name by now, but each member of the IMF brings forth their own personality and disposition.  Newcomer Isla Faust (played by Rebecca Ferguson) is able to seamlessly inject herself as the driving focal point of the entire film.  In the end, even with a blockbuster such as this, the foundation lies with the characters.  Assemble an appealing character base, and the story typically follows suit.  Thankfully for the viewer, such is very much the case here.

Outside of the first film, this has never been a story-driven franchise.  As we see here, this is a franchise that uses its characters to not only drive the story, but the major plot points and details within said story.  As a result, the somewhat shallow nature of the plot is easily forgiven as this is a viewing that thrives on style and character.  While it is standard blockbuster fare, it differentiates itself by being clever in ways that you don't quite expect.  As mentioned above, to me a MI film always has a few tricks up its sleeve, and it is ultimately those tricks that allow the franchise to remain fluid and fresh.

Sit back and chow down on some popcorn.  After all, nobody in this age quite does popcorn like the MI franchise.
  • Like 4

Incredible film!

2nd best of the year for me so far.

Solid A film.

One of the best films of the MI series. Awesome acting, action, editing and cinematography, and REALLY good atmosphere and eerie feel to the film. Also a brilliant villain.

Christopher McQuarrie really impressed me. I wasn't sure he could meet such high expectations after Ghost Protocol, and having seen Jack Reacher. He stepped it up though and delivered a great film.

Can't wait for MI6 as well.

Edited by Null
  • Like 1

I saw this earlier today and I liked it.

There's not any memorable or iconic scene but still a fun film even if you forget it after you leave the theater.

Wasn't crazy about the villain and no real tension but we all know the good guys win so it's not a knock on the film.

Overall I would definitely recommend seeing it.

I'd give it at least a B, if not B+

Edited by 75live
  • Like 2

Tom didnt disappoint

Another great action film when u know everyone will be alive & still able to care about the characters (underwater scene)

Everything is present & its place- Humor, action, masks etc Bonus point - a change in female character, much much better than Monaghan (imo)

But after the showing I caught myself thinking that I go see these movies just to chenk the box to see another film with Tom

btw The scene in the record store for some reason reminded me of the jazz club in Collateral. There was something of Vincent in Tom's  ating B)

but still a fun film even if you forget able it after you leave the theater.

this basically. Good entertainment for a weekend with friends

& oh poor west & its allies!

threat at every corner :rofl: Opening scene delivered :lol:

Edited by Lady of Lorien
  • Like 1

It's good and very well done, but the formula is starting to wear out, and it's doing so very quickly. It doesn't help that the setpieces (pretty much what this franchise is right now, a sequence of setpieces) are becoming increasingly cartoony, a la F&F. 
It feels really similar to GP, this has the best story and GP has the best direction, Bird obviously being the better director.

-80/100

MI3 +90/100
MI4 -90/100
MI5 -80/100
MI +75/100
MI2 +15/100
Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

First Two Acts: :popcorn:

Third Act: :sleep:

Final Rating: B

I must say that I disagree with this entirely.

The film is fun and has some good action but I don't feel like the film really finds its footing until that conversation in the airport. From then on out the movie is amazing

I must say that I disagree with this entirely.

The film is fun and has some good action but I don't feel like the film really finds its footing until that conversation in the airport. From then on out the movie is amazing

Why does this feel so backwards?

Thought it was great and like others said, the action stunt work were fantastic. I also enjoyed the teamwork and hopefully Ferguson does return (and apparently the studio does have an option on her). I probably still prefer Ghost Protocol but this one another solid entry.

****/*****, (A-, 8.2/10, 3.25/4)

• Like 1

On 8/3/2015 10:35:53, lilmac said:

The ending ruined it for some in the audience, and for me too. Here's what would have had to go right:

1. Lane would have to appear in person and in the vicinity of Ethan

2. Ethan would have to run, dodging bullets

3. Lane would have to follow

4. Ethan would have to successfully shepherd the villain to the general location of the glass cage

5. Ethan would have to roll into the shaft and fake injury

6. Ethan would have to HOPE Lane wouldn't just shoot him right there. 

7. Lane would have to jump in

How convenient.

With that said, I did get Mission Impossible 1 vibes for this one which I appreciated. While this wasn't my fave of the series (maybe this should have been a December release), it is definitely one of the better action movies this year (better than FF7).

No one else seems to notice the impossibility of the sequence of events that require the cage to be in place . It means the whole scene was already part of the plan.  BS.

• Like 1