K1stpierre

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (2015)

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

This movie is fucking awesome! One of the best of the year and might be the best of the franchise! The action was phenomenal! Best sequence in the movie was the opera set piece. Loved how it was choreographed to the opera music essentially! The motorcycle chase was really thrilling as well. Cruise was top form and Pegg, Ving, & Renner were good to. However, Rebecca Ferguson was the standout! I want to see here in more movies after this. Oh, and the score was great too!

I would give it an.......

A

Edited by Empirewreck
  • Like 1

I liked it, but didn't love it.

Pros:

Cruise and the rest of cast were awesome. All of them could be humorous or dead serious if the plot called for it.

Action sequences were great, really really loved the Morocco chase (INTENSE). Opera scene is great too.

In fact, the first two acts were excellent IMO.

The whole thing really felt like spy movie through and through with the exotic locations, fancy tech, daredevil situations etc. It held on to that premise without ever going too over the top.

Cons:

I didn't really feel the threat/stakes in this one.

The Syndicate, despite being a "rogue nation" and all, didn't feel..big. They just felt like one schemer and bunch of henchmen (despite being former secret agents).

I liked in the how in the first act they seemed so mysterious & untouchable, but as the film went on, they just started to seem incompetent. Despite them orchestrating the plane bit, the Chancellor's assassination, and Hunt telling Benji about their operations, they just didn't click with me as this super-powerful terrorist network.

I can also see what they were trying to do with the third act, make it more low-key and it was very average to me with its convenient and arguably cliche plotting.

From certain interviews you could tell McQuarrie just worked with what he had but he wasn't necessarily ecstatic with the finished product. Still, props to the crew for the workmanship.

Overall, I loved the first two acts but the villain and third act didn't work for me.

Slightly mixed on this but I'll give it a 7 for now.

Edit: Slowly warming up to the third act/villain after some thought. I should give this another watch.

Edited by kaijukurt
  • Like 1

• Community Manager

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation is the best of the franchise. This summer has had some pretty excellent blockbusters-Mad Max, Age of Ultron, Jurassic World all come to mind-but this movie is able to stand with them. It has impeccable directing, great actions scenes, and a lot of tension. It's also a darker entry in the franchise and gives Ethan Hunt and the IMF folks a really worthy adversary.

Mission Impossible has become a very reliable action film franchise. It might never be my favorite (currently Marvel) or the top franchise (again, Marvel) but it's solid fun.

A

• Like 3

B

Cons: a couple of scenes were too convenient. The most egregious was the glass cage they trapped the villain in at the end. How in the world did they manage to get him at that spot with everything going on??? Even if Cruise knew the villain would probably follow him if he saw him. There were snickers in the audience. I understood why.

Also, we see the female agent practicing holding her breath before she is required to use that skill. How convenient.

Pros:

Decent action. Decent story line. Tom Cruise.

Least fave MI movie.

Also, we see the female agent practicing holding her breath before she is required to use that skill. How convenient.

No, it's not convenient, it makes perfect sense. She was practicing holding her breath because she already had the Moroccan heist planned out (as shown by how she leads Ethan and Benji along in the subsequent conversation). You can see her look of annoyance when she sees she fell just short of 2 minutes, because she is realizing she can't change the profile card because she can't hold her breath long enough.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 9

No, it's not convenient, it makes perfect sense. She was practicing holding her breath because she already had the Moroccan heist planned out (as shown by how she leads Ethan and Benji along in the subsequent conversation). You can see her look of annoyance when she sees she fell just short of 2 minutes, because she is realizing she can't change the profile card because she can't hold her breath long enough.

Go in on him, baby.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed it. The action felt grounded, and the entire tone was much more espionage than the other films in the franchise. It keeps the fun vibe even with the convoluted plot, but it also feels like everything matters. It's got the action of M:I3, the team of M:I4, and the classiness of M:I. Oh, and the villain is actually threatening for the only time in the franchise besides M:I3. Very very good. A

Edited by Blankments

A solid sequel that adds to the continued success of the franchise (with the exception of the first sequel of course.) This entry chooses to go a more low-key route for the most part, focusing more on espionage and character development (the latter being a pleasant surprise for a film of this sort.) However, it still maintains the fun tone of the previous films and holds the attention of the audience throughout. There are very few things that bring as much sheer wonder out of me as an action film that manages to be both artistically effective and a blast to watch, so this was everything that I was hoping for. John Wick, Snowpiercer, Mad Max, and now this, all over the span of about a year...wow.  

A- 

From the top, loved the music in the intro credits and throughout the film. I really enjoyed that Plane scene was right when the movie started and wasn't a big thing, it was a fun little opening tag. 

The pacing of the for most the movie is pretty damn great. The opera sequence was an A sequence and my favorite in the film. 2nd act was strong, water sequence was cool not amazing. The bike chase however was shot more like a racing film and I loved it, you could really feel the speed and damn Tom looks good on that bike. They did a great job and use of the masks in this film, something the last 2 I think also accomplished 

The car flipping shot though was disastrous. 3rd act was a huge down grade form the rest of the film, in all aspects. Felt too small and played too much on fear of the villain while there was really no visual stakes to the audience. The big moment is Tom Cruise telling him off? 

Also I liked Renners new position but we know his skills so let us seem them just a bit. He had to come in during the 3rd act at some point but he didn't. Loved his inclusion in the car chase though. 

B (86)