kayumanggi

THE SPACE BETWEEN US | 02.03.17 | STX | final gross ● 7.89 M

The first trailer is a complete mess. It starts out as The Martian and ends in a Teenie Rom Com.
The second one was much better, but it seems like they gave up on this movie. 

Sad, as it looks quite charming, if you ignore the fact, that the relationship between the 14 year-old-looking Butterfield and a grown woman like Robertson feels kind of awkward. 

30 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Dang I knew they were gonna cast Britt Robertson as a teenager forever but they really got her playing love interest to Butterfield? Good god

In a way it's progress. Now actresses can prey on young actors.

9 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

In a way it's progress. Now actresses can prey on young actors.

Maybe she can be the reverse Tom Cruise and make it to 40 while still having 20 year old love interests

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chewy said:

Dang I knew they were gonna cast Britt Robertson as a teenager forever but they really got her playing love interest to Butterfield? Good god

She's in a Dog's Purpose. Her role? You guessed it right:

A Dog's Purpose
Teen Hannah

Heh

On 1/25/2017 at 7:15 PM, Poseidon said:

The first trailer is a complete mess. It starts out as The Martian and ends in a Teenie Rom Com.
The second one was much better, but it seems like they gave up on this movie. 

Sad, as it looks quite charming, if you ignore the fact, that the relationship between the 14 year-old-looking Butterfield and a grown woman like Robertson feels kind of awkward. 

It's not like anyone knows what age Robertson really is. She still looks passable as a teen, and has to take advantage of that, because i doubt studios are calling her for anything else. 

Britt Robertson looks like Jennifer Lawrence when you look at them in a glance. However, Britt's face is youthful so she can pass on playing a 17 year old teen while Jennifer seems to look like 35 years old which is sad because she's like only 25.

8 hours ago, bcf26 said:

Britt Robertson looks like Jennifer Lawrence when you look at them in a glance. However, Britt's face is youthful so she can pass on playing a 17 year old teen while Jennifer seems to look like 35 years old which is sad because she's like only 25.

Pretty ironic considering people questioning her playing older roles not meant for her because of her younger face.

just got back from a screening.

the big positives are the leads, in particular Asa.  Kid is straight charm all throughout and really elevates a very muddled script.  Britt was solid too, though I do feel she's consistently being typecast as the angsty teen.  Also, another thing that was surprising was the VFX.  They were really excellent for a film that isn't really a sci fi in any way except its setting.  That being said, I can defintely see why this has been shuffled around on the schedule.  It's one of those weird movies that could have been really, really good but the potential got lost somewhere in the execution.  There are several instances where the film really has you and then immediately something nonsensical or ridiculous happens and the moments gone.  It's a cycle that starts repeating about 1/3 the way in and never stops.  I think I saw in the credits the story was written by either 4 or 5 people and you can definitely tell.  I don't know how extensive those credits are (i.e. if just rewrites or what) but the film is quite disjointed and there are a few things, one scene in particular, that is just ridiciulously over the top.  I'm curious to know the budget on this thing, it seems like it would have to be over 60+ and I don't see it making half that domestic.

Ratings wise I'd probably go with C+ just based on how much I liked Asa in the lead.  However, I think it's something I'll forget pretty quickly.

EDIT: Just saw on BOM that the budget is 30 which is RIDICULOUS for the quality of the look of the film.  Seriously shocking on that front.

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 5

• Community Manager
6 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

Yeah, I definitely don't feel it's THAT bad.  it's not unwatchable.  its just very, very messy.

I stand by my statement it's better than Passengers. :ph34r: I really enjoyed this movie despite it's faults but eh, whatever. I don't need the critics to agree with me to validate what I like.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

I stand by my statement it's better than Passengers. :ph34r: I really enjoyed this movie despite it's faults but eh, whatever. I don't need the critics to agree with me to validate what I like.

no, i actually agree with you.  but I REALLY disliked passengers.  this while being very flawed has some nice moments.