VictorHugogui

Tuesday #s (Gopher) MI5 7.3M, Minions 2.4M, DBZ 2.3M, Ant-Man 2.3M

Even Minions jumped 'just' 20%. It has always jumped 30%+ so far.

So an overall deflated Tuesday. Probably Wed drops will be muted too.

Still, +7.5% is surprisingly low for MI5. Could have a 10-12% drop tomorrow as opposed to 20-25%.

Well most films are down 10% from their usual increases. Apply that to MI5 and on a normal Tuesday would've hit 17-18%. I had it pegged for a 15% increase due to the older skewing audience and on a normal Tuesday I think that would've happened. This Tuesday is down for all films not just MI5, so I'm not too worried. Still expecting around 30m for the weekend.

MI5 is close to 70! This is still going to be a strong holder in August especially since Fantastic Four might have a lackluster performance.

who knows? this new F4 could end in the same BO level as of the two Tim Story pieces of shit flicks.

Edited by TacoBell

that would be sleeper hit considering how low expectations are here.

the first reviews are in here in France (release date is today) and the movie is not the expected garbage

boring at some parts but well done (practical effects, CGI) , origin story, not much action-some cool sequences anyways but in general : better than the previous 2 films.

so a decent run is realistic

Edited by TacoBell
  • Like 2

the first reviews are in here in France (release date is today) and the movie is not the expected garbage

boring at some parts but well done (practical effects, CGI) , origin story, not much action-some cool sequences anyways but in general : better than the previous 2 films.

so a decent run is realistic

well I think it's going to do a domestic total around 115 million and do close to 300 million overseas and worldwide should be solid. But nothing amazing, and I will admit that it has a decent release date. Edited by Maxmoser3
  • Like 1

So what is the definition of a movie billed as a "Sleeper Hit" and could ANT-MAN Qualify as being this???

No.  It's a Marvel movie, how is that a sleeper hit when it is going to make about what Thor did?

• Like 3

So what is the definition of a movie billed as a "Sleeper Hit" and could ANT-MAN Qualify as being this???

a sleeper hit is a movie that's not predicted to make a lot of money, has a smal to mid-size opening, and then legs its way to become a blockbuster. Ant Man was predicted to open north of $60M and was riding off Marvel to be a big hit. It would never be considered a Sleeper Hit.

Here are some that are considered a SH:

1. My Big Fat Greek Wedding

2. Murica's Sniper (it had a limited release opening before expanding)

3. Star Wars (because no one believed the Force was with Lucas)

4. Titanic (was considered a $200M disaster in 1997 before it even opened!)

Edited by Queen Shar

a sleeper hit is a movie that's not predicted to make a lot of money, has a smal to mid-size opening, and then legs its way to become a blockbuster. Ant Man was predicted to open north of $60M and was riding off Marvel to be a big hit. It would never be considered a Sleeper Hit.

Here are some that are considered a SH:

1. My Big Fat Greek Wedding

2. Murica's Sniper (it had a limited release opening before expanding)

3. Star Wars (because no one believed the Force was with Lucas)

4. Titanic (was considered a $200M disaster in 1997 before it even opened!)

I think the keyword is "sleeper"...under basically everyone's radar. 

MBFGW certainly qualifies. 

Titanic was so "newsworthy" that it cannot be a "sleeper." It's a surprising and historical hit, but not a sleeper.

Star Wars...I was too young to know the buzz surrounding it, but Lucas was just off a BO success in American Graffiti, and as part of the new American cinema, I reckon it was above the radar of that time?  

• Like 1