CJohn

The Star | 17 NOV 2017 | Sony Pictures Animation | Twerking doves and stealing Lone Ranger jokes in the trailer on pg. 5 | Re-releasing this year on December 7 & 8 (don't ask)

The budget both worries and surprises me...but low budget fare has broken big before...

Getting the players and story "right" might make this a huge success story...or it might be a middling one (with that budget).  No way to know til a trailer actually arrives, but I think there's gonna be a big audience ready if this is anywhere close to good that wants to see the story the way it was (baby Jesus isn't lily white and neither's Mary and Joseph), just like they did for the Passion of the Christ.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, slambros said:

I want to recommend some good faith-based films to you! Chariots of Fire, The Sound of Music, The Prince of Egypt, all the Narnia films, End of the Spear, Passion of the Christ, War Room (definitely War Room if you want an entertaining way to see what Christianity truly stands for (that's forgiveness and mercy by the way)), etc etc etc. There's some good ones out there man!

With that, I'm officially predicting that this film surpasses $100 Million domestic.

I guess you don't know what Religulous is.  Suggesting me faith based movies is a waste of time on your part, I will never watch this type of movie. Ever.  

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Oh... I guess I haven't rewatched any of them since Voyage came out so maybe I would see it now

They toned it down in 2 and 3, but in the first one..."Lion,Witch and Wardrobe" the Christian Allegory is forced down the audience's throat.

BTW despite being close friends with CS Lewis and a very devout Catholic, JRR Tolkien disliked the Narnia books because they hit the readers over the head with their message.

20 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

lmao @ that budget

I think this is going to bomb underperform with Smurfs numbers. Families will already have Daddy's Home on this weekend, and those with younger kids will save their money for Coco.

Hey, it's another low budgeted film that is aimed at the "faith" audience. They don't expect it to be  big hit with mainstream audiences. As long as they  can make a decent profit from the "Faith" crowd, Sony and Walden will be happy.It's a niche film,guy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dudalb said:

They toned it down in 2 and 3, but in the first one..."Lion,Witch and Wardrobe" the Christian Allegory is forced down the audience's throat.

BTW despite being close friends with CS Lewis and a very devout Catholic, JRR Tolkien disliked the Narnia books because they hit the readers over the head with their message.

You're always full of fun information. I swear

22 hours ago, filmlover said:

Wow, what was the last animated movie released by a Big 6 studio that was that cheap to make?

Most of the major studios churn out small budget films aimed at the "Faith" audience. They are like, ironically enough, Horror movies,if you keep the budget low enough,there is enough of a core audience to guarantee a decent profit.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, slambros said:

Why not?

Religulous is a documentary made by Bill Maher. Bill Maher is one of the most famous atheists in Hollywood and has criticized religion through his stand-up and show for years. I think it's clear what langer's thoughts on faith movies and religious movies are.

15 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Religulous is a documentary made by Bill Maher. Bill Maher is one of the most famous atheists in Hollywood and has criticized religion through his stand-up and show for years. I think it's clear what langer's thoughts on faith movies and religious movies are.

That's a shame. Just because one doesn't believe in something doesn't mean a film based on those beliefs can't be a great film. I don't believe in Islam but I liked the movie Persepolis. I'm Christian rather than Jewish but, when I went to a Jewish film festival in my town, I saw a German film called Phoenix, and I liked that one too.

We should be more open minded to films. I wouldn't want any of you guys to miss out on an expectional film just because the characters stand by their faith in God.

20 minutes ago, aabattery said:

That's a big if :ph34r:

The low end for this is likely $50M here and $50M OS. Like Free Birds and Book of Life

The High End is $150M here and $100M OS.

• Like 1