CJohn

The Star | 17 NOV 2017 | Sony Pictures Animation | Twerking doves and stealing Lone Ranger jokes in the trailer on pg. 5 | Re-releasing this year on December 7 & 8 (don't ask)

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I know but you can't do epic animation on a small budget 

In feel is the better word. They felt like grand adventure or something special. Hell with a budget like Underpants ($38M) it may have looked better and felt more grand. Also I think this aside from the Emoji Movie trailers is one of cringiest animated movie trailers.

Okay, I watched the trailer with my boys...and they wanted to watch this...

And it's not off-putting to moms, which has been the death of so many movies this summer...

So, I'm not betting against this one til we see reviews...Boss Baby reviews or better, and this takes off for the season...it's heavier on the humor and fun, and less on the religion (but still there for anyone who wants a "Christmas" movie) and it's gonna be better received than Daddy's Home 2...animation may not be the prettiest, but that tends to be overrated for animation viewers (they much prefer story, humor, and song)...it also is boys and girls' inclusive, so families can take all their kids and not be worried some are bored...

I'm sticking to my bold choice until reality or more is seen than this:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

I'm curious on this one performance. Although I am lower my expectations this can still draw in both families and Christians and gain some Christmas legs. I mean it's rare to see a religious mainstream movie over the holidays in theaters.

$20M/$80M-$100M is going to be my guess, but a $15M/$50M or $10M/$30M performance wouldn't surprise me either.

I will agree that $100M is now the ceiling domestically.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I guess the moral of the story is always bet against SPA. Still think domestically it'll be SPA's highest grossing 2017 film.

I haven't seen the trailer yet but I'm still extremely disappointed as a Christian. This had the potential to be HUGE, INCREDIBLE, OUTSTANDING.

I am most disappointed at Sony. This is one of the biggest and most important stories of our history, and this blatant lack of effort is upsetting and disrespectful.

God has his reasoning for everything, and God certainly has his reasoning for this film to be made. I just want to find a reason as to why God chose Sony Pictures Animation over DreamWorks, Laika, Aardman, Reel FX, and any other animation company that aren't caring only about how much there film grosses, to give the task of adapting the story of my Savior's birth.

I mean, I'm sure he had many reasons, but this is the same company that made The Emoji Movie, an inevitably failed money laundering scheme in the clothing of a feature film.

My big takeaway from this is that it's more difficult for God's love to shine through a product if it is not a quality product. As a Christian who wants to make films, I want to be devoted to being a skillful filmmaker so that I know how to hone in my skill for God, not just make a film for God.

End of rant.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jonwo said:

So much for outgrossing Coco. Coco's OD will be more than The Star's OW

I think it now clear this was never intended to compete with other animated films for the GA. it's just another low budget film aimed at the niche "faith" audience.Only difference is "The Star" is animated

• Like 1

Just now, damnitgeorge08 said:

I have a feeling this could be the boss baby of fall. This above ninjago will be trajic if it happens.

Then I would know how TOG felt with Beast OD over Valerian domestic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MrGamer2558 said:

Wow, they're sending this movie to fucking die and I can see why. 

I hate to keep saying this, but this was a niche "Faith audience" film from the beginning.

AS to that trailer.....Father, Forgive Them They Know Not What They Do...or maybe they did.....

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'm legit dying of laughter over that "from the studio that brought you Miracles from Heaven and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" tagline. Two movies that couldn't be anymore different.

Sony is as good an example of institutional incompetence as you can find.

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I think it now clear this was never intended to compete with other animated films for the GA. it's just another low budget film aimed at the niche "faith" audience.Only difference is "The Star" is animated

I disagree...too many big name voices, a big song...they are gonna chase after the Christmas family audience b/c it's ripe to pick this year with the fall/winter lineup - they have a both child gender appealing movie, which the fall does not have (Ninjago - boys, My Little Pony - girls)...being released perfectly for the season...

If it gets decent reviews, it's Boss Baby...for good or ill...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Morieris said:

That.....that happened. 

It's not gonna be my thing clearly but I can see it making a profit.

1 hour ago, slambros said:

I haven't seen the trailer yet but I'm still extremely disappointed as a Christian. This had the potential to be HUGE, INCREDIBLE, OUTSTANDING.

I am most disappointed at Sony. This is one of the biggest and most important stories of our history, and this blatant lack of effort is upsetting and disrespectful.

God has his reasoning for everything, and God certainly has his reasoning for this film to be made. I just want to find a reason as to why God chose Sony Pictures Animation over DreamWorks, Laika, Aardman, Reel FX, and any other animation company that aren't caring only about how much there film grosses, to give the task of adapting the story of my Savior's birth.

I mean, I'm sure he had many reasons, but this is the same company that made The Emoji Movie, an inevitably failed money laundering scheme in the clothing of a feature film.

it's called Free Will.pal. Basic theological concept.

• Astonished 1