CJohn

The Star | 17 NOV 2017 | Sony Pictures Animation | Twerking doves and stealing Lone Ranger jokes in the trailer on pg. 5 | Re-releasing this year on December 7 & 8 (don't ask)

6 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I love how they name off the cast members, then 30 seconds later they just showed the list of the cast again. Who edits this stuff?

Hey,it's SONY films..what do you expect, competence?

Thing is. Even though Smurfs The Lost Village and likely Emoji Movie weren't the best liked/reviewed or good but the cast and director had talent, it looked good before the trailer. Arthur Christmas was also a great Christmas movie and from SPA no less.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, dudalb said:

It's called free will, pal. Basic theological concept.

While I do believe in free will, I believe that God has a hand in decisions like this, and God will certainly receive glory from a film like this. It's just that if the film was of better quality, more glory would shine through.

Sorry, but this film looks so bad I doubt God will get much glory of this. It might work in favor of the other guy.....

BTW if you are bemoaning the fact that so many "faith based" films are crappy movies, you have no one to blame but your fellow Christians. If they would exercise a little judgement and show some good taste,and not give the studios their money, they might get better films.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, slambros said:

While I do believe in free will, I believe that God has a hand in decisions like this, and God will certainly receive glory from a film like this. It's just that if the film was of better quality, more glory would shine through.

The guy who pitched this to SPA was a devout Christian with a Christian film studio. This had talented cast and director (an Academy Award nominated one). Hopefully this is a case of the bad trailer attended to attract families and the movie is somewhat decent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

The guy who pitched this to SPA was a devout Christian with a Christian film studio. This had talented cast and director (an Academy Award nominated one). Hopefully this is a case of the bad trailer attended to attract families and the movie is somewhat decent.

I'm hoping so too. There really is a Godly reason why SPA accepted the pitch, and the cast is talented, so I do think it's still got a shot. I think what I should do at this point is pray for good reception.

I want this to do better than The Emoji Movie and Smurfs: The Lost Village combined. That's the mark that would make me ecstatic.

I'm going to continue to support this film like @That Atomic Guy supported Valerian, no matter what anybody says.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YourMother said:

SONY was the first studio to realize if you kept the budgets low,the built in audience an faith oriented film has would almost guarantee a profit regardless of quality.They  backed low budget faith films much earlier then other studios did.

One would think a devout Christian would want to deliver a quality product that might actually attract some non believers, but that does not seem to be the case. They seem satisfied making low quality films that the GA avoids.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, slambros said:

I'm hoping so too. There really is a Godly reason why SPA accepted the pitch, and the cast is talented, so I do think it's still got a shot. I think what I should do at this point is pray for good reception.

I want this to do better than The Emoji Movie and Smurfs: The Lost Village combined. That's the mark that would make me ecstatic.

I'm going to continue to support this film like @That Atomic Guy supported Valerian, no matter what anybody says.

Prayiing for a bad film to succeed?

I think your God has other things to worry about.

And Atomic guy as your model is not a good one.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dudalb said:

SONY was the first studio to realize if you kept the budgets low,the built in audience an faith oriented film has would almost guarantee a profit regardless of quality.They  backed low budget faith films much earlier then other studios did.

One would think a devout Christian would want to deliver a quality product that might actually attract some non believers, but that does not seem to be the case. They seem satisfied making low quality films that the GA avoids.

Still even though the trailer looked awful, it wasn't as bad as Emoji's trailers. I can see this having long legs over the holidays and that Ninjago and Pony although family movie appeal to two different genders which The Star can benefit from (something like $20M/$80M). 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Prayiing for a bad film to succeed?

I think your God has other things to worry about.

And Atomic guy as your model is not a good one.

Oh, you'd be surprised about the kind of prayers God answers for me and other Christians. He answers all kinds of prayers if they are in line with his will!

Here's a story that is relevant to film. I liked a movie that came out a few months ago. It was The Case for Christ, which I found to be a huge step up for Christian filmmaking in recent years.

I noticed that, while it was a deserving film, its domestic box office was fairly lacking for a wide release. That's when I got an idea.

I prayed to God about the film's gross. I told him that if the film failed to make it past $15 million, then I would campaign the film for the Best Overlooked Feature award at the coming Boffy Awards, and if it cleared past $15 million, then I would be happy that the film made the amount of money that it did and leave it at that. I told him that it was his decision to make about the gross and that I would trust in him and his will.

Do you want to know what God did?

God answered my prayer and gradually halted the film's growth into the higher end of $14 million. In other words, the film ended its run just shy of $15 million.

To me, this is surely a miracle. With the film being eligible for Best Overlooked Feature, I am going to campaign as hard as I can for the film to receive, at the very least, that one nomination. Because when it does, people of the box office forum community will look back on the deserving film they looked over and decide to watch what is, in my opinion, the faith-based answer to great journalism films like Spotlight.

God doesn't have certain things he worries about. He's big enough to be concerned with everything. Even a forum site like this one.

Edited by slambros
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

Still even though the trailer looked awful, it wasn't as bad as Emoji's trailers. I can see this having long legs over the holidays and that Ninjago and Pony although family movie appeal to two different genders which The Star can benefit from (something like $20M/$80M). 

Coco will likely kills its legs IMO 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cannastop said:

More like Coco makes this movie DOA. And then Ferdinand crushes its chances.

It can benefit from Jumanji double features though. Coco is an either or situation. I'm thinking it won't be as big as Moana even with that Frozen tv special. Thinking $185M-$210M for Coco.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, YourMother said:

Thing is. Even though Smurfs The Lost Village and likely Emoji Movie weren't the best liked/reviewed or good but the cast and director had talent, it looked good before the trailer. Arthur Christmas was also a great Christmas movie and from SPA no less.

Arthur Christmas was Aardman, Sony only handled animation.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Arthur Christmas was Aardman, Sony only handled animation.

Still SPA has done good non Aardman movies before HT1 and 2, Cloudy 1, and Surfs Up. But as much flack as we have to Illumination around here recently Illumination has been beating them quality wise, DM3 is better than Smurfs TLV. Pets was better than Angry Birds (not SPA technically but the sequel is), DM2 is better than all of SPA sequels. 

2018 will be a nice rebound. They have two movies locked for a $100M+/$300M+ (HT3 and SMTAM)

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

Yikes the animation on this looks worse than Sausage Party. Story doesn't look to be that good either

@slambros really appreciate your posts in this thread. A good positive outlook to have that we don't see often on these boards for any movies, let alone movies like these.

• Thanks 1