Asyulus

Not So Fantastic Weekend Thread | MI5 29.4, F4 26.2, Gift 12, Ricki 7, Shaun 4, Vac 9, AM 7.8

I'm back from work and wtf is with fantastic four. I checked a showing 15 mins before it finished and they were just meeting the villain. 25 mins before end they were discovering their powers...

I really enjoyed that they took a while to get there powers, pre-them getting there powers is really good. The movie should have been 2 and a half hours but instead its an hour shorter than that

Trank's team needs to do serious damage control to get him any sort of job.

Worst comes to worst he can go make 5m or under indie film and prove himself again. The dude is super young so he has time. He could fly off the radar for 10 years, come back do a big movie and still be considered a young director.

Fox handed him FF movie at 27. Thats pretty insane. 

• Like 2

Nobody wakes up in the morning on a set thinking in their heads : " let s finish this piece of shit movie and be done with it", nobody, even on the Sharknadoo sets.

Really good article about Asylum: http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1698-5-ugly-realities-making-mockbusters-like-sharknado.html

As hard as it is to believe, the trademark awfulness of an Asylum movie is purely accidental. I was specifically warned not to make any of my pitches intentionally campy, or to ever seem like I was 'in' on the joke. In their minds, there is no joke. The way it was described to me is that they don't think they're making bad movies. They're trying to make good movies. They're just really bad at it. So when they spray-paint a NERF gun black and put it in multiple films .

The Wachowskis got to release 3 of the biggest big budget box office bombs of the last ten years, one right after the other. Sure a big part of that was being able to piggy back off of Matrix's massive success, but some of it was also having the right attitude and never seeming ungrateful for their opportunities.

If a studio buys your script, they get sequel rights.

That would have to be specifically mentioned in a contract though. I imagine it's standard studio procedure to include a sequel rights clause in their contracts, but it's not some automatic fiat from heaven.

He doesn't need to prove his talent. He needs to prove that he can act professionally and won't be a major liability to any production.

I'm sure he will find work, even if it is with a very small distributor/studio, regardless of the rumours surrounding his capability of running a large production. To the best of my knowledge he didn't have problems filming CHRONICLE. If he's on a smaller movie and he has more creative control then maybe he will be fine again, and a studio will risk it in order to make a hit movie.

• Like 1

I'm sure he will find work, even if it is with a very small distributor/studio, regardless of the rumours surrounding his capability of running a large production. To the best of my knowledge he didn't have problems filming CHRONICLE. If he's on a smaller movie and he has more creative control then maybe he will be fine again, and a studio will risk it in order to make a hit movie.

Yeah, and Chornicle made a lot of money compared to the budget. 64.5 dom, 62 os, 12m budget excluding PA.

• Like 1

That would have to be specifically mentioned in a contract though. I imagine it's standard studio procedure to include a sequel rights clause in their contracts, but it's not some automatic fiat from heaven.

As far as I understand it, no. When a production company or studio buys your script, they're also purchasing sequel rights. You may have first pass on the sequel (and you will receive some sort of payment and "characters created by" credit), but that's it.

Edited by Telemachos

As far as I understand it, no. When a production company or studio buys your script, they're also purchasing sequel rights. You may have first pass on the sequel, but that's it.

Might be a special wrinkle of California law, because as far as I understand, contracts only cover the things they specifically say they cover.

Besides, a specific sequel rights clause wouldn't be hard for a studio to muscle in anyways since they have so much leverage over essentially 99% of the writers out there.

Edited by 4815162342

Might be a special wrinkle of California law, because as far as I understand, contracts only cover the things they specifically say they cover.

Besides, a specific sequel rights clause wouldn't be hard for a studio to muscle in anyways since they have so much leverage over essentially 99% of the writers out there.

It has to do with the little magic trick of converting a spec script (which the writer has written on their own, and thus retains copyright) into a "work-for-hire" that pretends they wrote it for the company purchasing the script (in order to transfer copyright while granting the writer all the guild benefits that otherwise they wouldn't be eligible for (since you can't be a member of a union if you're not an employee).

• Like 1

It has to do with the little magic trick of converting a spec script (which the writer has written on their own, and thus retains copyright) into a "work-for-hire" that pretends they wrote it for the company purchasing the script (in order to transfer copyright while granting the writer all the guild benefits that otherwise they wouldn't be eligible for (since you can't be a member of a union if you're not an employee).

I imagine though that's something that would have to specifically be put into the option or purchase contract. And it's something that studios can get almost all the time since they have the leverage to do so.

A straight contract wouldn't get that for the studio, so the seller would have to agree to that language. It's a matter of what the contract says, not some auto effect of purchase itself.

I imagine though that's something that would have to specifically be put into the option or purchase contract. And it's something that studios can get almost all the time since they have the leverage to do so.

A straight contract wouldn't get that for the studio, so the seller would have to agree to that language. It's a matter of what the contract says, not some auto effect of purchase itself.

No, it's already been negotiated across the board by the collective bargaining agreement between the WGA and the studios.

No, it's already been negotiated across the board by the collective bargaining agreement between the WGA and the studios.

Then that's a union thing of course, though. Wouldn't hold for anyone outside the WGA of course.

That said, I'm sure not being part of the WGA deprives you of a lot of good protections and benefits.

• Like 1