kayumanggi

NOCTURNAL ANIMALS | 11.18.16 | Focus | final gross ● 10.66 M

14 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Likely a stupid question, but is it possible for an actor or actress to be nominated for two different movies in the same category? Because having two doses of Amazing Amy in the Lead Actress category would be phenomenal.

Nope.

1 hour ago, jandrew said:

The setting, characters, tone, and Michael Shannon gave me a HOHW vibe, so.

The tones are completely different. Hell or High Water is a laid-back modern western about small town economic woes plus a subplot with one racially-charged buddy cop duo. 

Nocturnal Animals is a dark and mysterious neo-noir with a movie within a movie and a murder subplot. 

Cinematography is different, the use of color is different, the cast is different, the genre is different, the themes are different, the only thing they have in common is a cop with a cowboy hat and a few scenes that take place in the southwest. 

I'm only harping on this cause it seems to be a common thing online where people make these dubious comparisons all the time. Like calling Nolan's films Kubrickian. Their films are nothing alike. 

• Like 2

On 17/09/2016 at 2:19 AM, tonytr87 said:

Fair enough. I only hope Nocturnal Animals is as good as HOHW. 

Totally different films, but I think you'll find it as good and probably better. It is less accessible though. 

D458w7K.gif

Will post full thoughts later tonight but dayum, torn between this and Arrival as my favourite of the fest and the year. Everyone is amazing, Shannon MVP and along with ATJ almost stole the entire film with the epic scenery chewing which doesn't feel out of place, Amy is good although Jake only just overshadows her and she is better in Arrival, McGarvey X Ford X whoever did the set and costume design combo da gawd visually, and Abel whatshisface needs more recognition as his score had a classically melodic presence (A Single Man had this too) that is rare in today's films. The way Ford intercut the narrative is fantastic and the re enacted novel part of the story really felt like a page turner book would - he nailed this.

I think that's actually all my thoughts haha. But yeah, may post a more coherent review later.

• Like 6

So I'm a little ashamed of myself for not even watching the trailer to this until today, which looks amazing. but I didn't realize this is from the director of A Single Man! that movie is amazing. plus Gyllenhaal, Adams and Shannon. like literally three of my favorite actors, and it has flown completely under my radar. Double shame on me.